Make up and flash photography?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmog

Reaction score
Dear geeks

Any tips on makeup if you're going to be photographed with a flash?
My friend is getting married in a few months and the wedding and photographs are going to take place indoors, hence the flash photography.
She is doing her own makeup and is understandably keen to choose products that will look good with a flash, and so am I - I hate having my photo taken at the best of times!

We are under the impression that Touche Eclat is out (reverse panda eyes even if used sparingly?) and that MAC Studiofix will give us ghostface, however my searching of the internet doesn't give us an answer either way. My friend is dead against mineral makeup (she just doesn't like it) but I quite like it (so far only Lily Lolo make a pale enough shade though).

Are there certain ingredients or products that are a no-no when it comes to flash photography and are there any that'll make us look particularly ace?

Many thanks in advance

I would also love to know the answer to this question! :green:

:hug:

I know this is an old thread, but its something i've been thinking about myself tonight, so after doing a search, I found a fairly old thread. Hope someone can answer x x

Have done a lot of bridal and worked with a photographer for 2 years doing makeup for his makeover thingies. The biggest thing with flash is not to have any shine on the face. I actually saw someone's wedding photos where the flash reflected on the poor bride's forehead! You have to think about reflection of the flash and also something else to think about is if there are to be any black and white or sepia photos be careful of darker colours as they will come out as black. For instance a strong lip colour or eye colour can make you look very gothic. :)

I agree with shedunlop. You need to make sure the skin is completely matte otherwise even the tiniest bit of shine willshow. Best to keep pressed/loose powder handy on the day, whichever is yor preference.

With any concealed areas ensure that the concealer is blended in well and that it's a good match to the skin tone otherwise you'll see darker/lighter patches on film if it's a mismatch or not well blended.

Again, I agree with shedunlop on the dark colours. Fine for colour shots but not sepia/black and white. If you are having a mixture of shots have a nudeish lipstick and some gloss to apply to keep you looking natural on film.

Hope the big day goes well.
K x

It also depends on the photographer too, if they are not very experienced they don't seem to know the best way to light the bride and any shimmer on the skin can look uneven. :rolleyes:

However, a good photographer (you get what you pay for imo) will light the bride to make the most of her make-up - I have used shimmer on the top of a brides cheeks and a good photog has lit the bride perfectly so both shimmer and light compliment.:)

So I usually ask who the photographer is on the trial, if I haven't heard of him then I bear the amount of shimmer in mind.

hey all...

the nasty 'Titanium Dioxide' causes this problem!! its in alot of powers and foundations.... so when buying the makeup... check the label...

The problem is the Titanium Dioxide and in some cases zinc oxide. Both of these ingredients are minerals that are crushed and are considered a physical sunscreen.

Some are milled through once and some are milled through triple times. Titanium Dioxide is also a white pigment ... an active ingredient or listed in the ingredient list as supposed to "may contain".

There are other makeup that contain sunscreen in liquid and creams but have chemical sunscreens, therefore does not have an effect on flashback as badly but STILL effects it. I believe a lot of the powders that contain sunscreen usually contain the Titanium Dioxide or zinc oxide as supposed to a chemical sunscreen because of the chemical composition.

wow thats alot abouttt it. i hope this helps.

xx

Latest posts

Back