Manicure ... with or without soaking?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To Soak or not to Soak

• I always soak during a manicure

Votes: 229 60.7%
  • I Never soak during a manicure

Votes: 59 15.6%
  • I only soak depending on the condition of the nails

Votes: 89 23.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i was trained in school to perform a wet manicure and did so for a few years until this year when i read an article about how a wet manicure can effect the polish job. this article in nail pro said that wet manicures cause the nail bed to expand and when the nail bed goes back to its original shape its too late the polish has already been applied.and if the client has bad cuticles you can always do a treatment or apply cuticle oil.

belinda

I soak if the nail condition permits! (i voted that way too!)
Gotta be honest tho...I would say that around 80% manis are non soak.....and 20% are soak....
You just can't comprehend the dirt that builds up after a day in the garden can Ya!?
:irked:

I'm starting to worry about my EzFlow course. I guess the practices are school dependent but we are shown to trim cuticles and during spa manicures we soak. Also, I just read through some of my notes and for the prep procedure for enhancements it says to push back the cuticle with the spoon end of the pro pusher and then remove the prerygium from the nail plate...........

Is EzFlow wrong or is it the material thats out of date. Shouldn't these companies be making sure the schools teaching with their products and issueing the certificates are teaching up to date procedures and information?

i was taught to soak the nails for a manicure, but then found it' not good to soak them
when you soak them, you are opening up the "fibers" of the nail plate so after you've polished them, they will shrink back and the polish will then seperate from the nail.
i'm curious tho', what conditions would call for soaking?
i'd like to know.

thanks,
kathleen
www.mynailsrock.co,

izzidoll said:
Hi,
Just saw this......and my first instinct was, you can have your clients wash their hands before a manicure...So using water in a pedicure is really a way of cleansing and deodorising her feet!!

Also our hands are out in the open all day and in and out of water which can cause dry brittle nails......which is the main reason I do not soak hands in a manicure....

In contrast our toes are in shoes all day...therefore the main risks are fungal infections not dry, brittle nails......The hands are the desert, and the feet are the Rainforest.....

In short the benefits of washing/soaking feet for the deodorising and softening/hydrating effect from your products outweigh the very slight possibility of drying out the toenails.....HTH

Hope this answers all the pedicure/soaking queries again.....

And Nailchick....I just don't see ANY reason for soaking in a manicure...when our products can do all the softening and loosening for us HTH

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I have a couple of questions! I am probably about to make myself sound very silly!

....I would have them wash their hands before the service, and then use my Products to soften cuticles whether it be AHA Cuticle Eraser or in extreme circumstances Cuticle Remover....and of course Solar oil would be used in the service.......
Hi Izzidoll!
Why would you only use Cuticle Remover in extreme circumstances? You've got me a little worried! :eek:
I use C.R for all of my cuticle work, as I was taught that it is the best product for the job!
I only use A.H.A Cuticle Eraser with Solar Oil, as a nail moisture pack during manicure services and for client aftercare.

Please tell me I'm not doing something horribly wrong!!

....... I apply cuticle eraser and solar oil and a hand oil to the hands (obviously LOL) and then in plastic bags and "soak" in my heated mitts for a few minutes - this does the job of softening the skin in a much more efficient and less detrimental way than the soaking.
Does this mean that during a CreativeSpa Manicure, I should
shape nails,
(skip my usual cuticle work),
apply crystals and activator to hand and forearm,
a.h.a cuticle eraser and solar oil to nails,
into bags and heated mitts
and then do cuticle work
Massage with finishing lotion.

or

shape nails,
a.h.a cuticle eraser and solar oil to nails and oil hands
do cuticle work
apply crystals and activator to hand and forearm
Massage with finishing lotion

Sorry Fiona! I just want to be 100% clear, not a pain in the butt!

Thanks to you both!

Depends on what service I'm doing.....with any type of enhancement service...no to soaking.......when doing a natural nail service ...yes I always soak......

But with feet...weather I'm doing enhancements or not...feet always have to touch water :)

Great thread.
I have been taught to soak:( - along with lots of other out of date manicure practices:eek: - but thanks to this fabulous website I am re-learning.

Its a sad state of affairs that colleges and training centres all over the place are using out of date information as a basis for their training. We pay all of that money in good faith for a pile of CRAP!!!!..........sorry its something I feel v strongly about.

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I have a couple of questions! I am probably about to make myself sound very silly!

Hi Izzidoll!
Why would you only use Cuticle Remover in extreme circumstances? You've got me a little worried! :eek:
I use C.R for all of my cuticle work, as I was taught that it is the best product for the job!
I only use A.H.A Cuticle Eraser with Solar Oil, as a nail moisture pack during manicure services and for client aftercare.

Please tell me I'm not doing something horribly wrong!!

No You are not doing anything horribly wrong at all!!! :lol:
I just prefer aha Cuticle Eraser....and if it is a regular client who's cuticles are in tip top condition I don't see the need for Cuticle Remover. Personal preference ...and choice come into it. I am all for having choices!!!

Does this mean that during a CreativeSpa Manicure, I should
shape nails,
(skip my usual cuticle work),
apply crystals and activator to hand and forearm,
a.h.a cuticle eraser and solar oil to nails,
and then do cuticle work
Massage with finishing lotion.

Yes you could do this, if as I said her cuticles are in tip top condition....but their is nothing wrong in doing your cuticle work after shaping the nails, with your Cuticle Remover.
Then it is apply aha Cuticle Eraser and Solar Oil as a moisture pack to cuticles,
Then apply exfoliating crystals and activator.
Heated Mitts
A once over with a curette round the cuticles
Massage with Finishing Lotion
Then onto polish....

or

shape nails,
a.h.a cuticle eraser and solar oil to nails and oil hands
do cuticle work
apply crystals and activator to hand and forearm
Massage with finishing lotion

Sorry Fiona! I just want to be 100% clear, not a pain in the butt!

Twice into the mitts....Surely not..!

Thanks to you both!

Hope this helps........Spamanicure is a great manicure...as it can be adapted to suit clients needs....also if you client has a preference for a Scentsations lotion, use some of it in with the finishing Lotion to give her the benefits of both.

Good to see this old thread resurrected again!!

Interesting thread!

I am nearing the end of my college course and we are being taught to soak, although reading some of your comments it really does seem unnecessary. It makes me wonder when tsome of the colleges are going to catch up with contemperary thinking.:irked:

Hi Izzidol,

I will soak depending on nail condition as some clients expect a soak in the manicure bowl!

Eleanor

got me thinking! I always soak but I do see the point to this when I get customers who dont have overgrown cuticles, but even when you only use cuticle remover/aha on customers with lots of cuticle it doesnt soften and lift them as much as soaking?? I would prefer to soak those customers who need alot of cuticle work done.
Maybe I will change my method but only on those who dont need a lot of cuticle work done, unless someone can tell me how to get stubborn cuticles up and off without soaking???? Ive also got the Priadora champagne soak and it smells great so will miss that!lol

Hi

I just wanted to bump this thread up as I have noticed a lot of newbies on the site and a few questions about manicures.

I think its a good thread with some valid points. Personally i feel some colleges need to catch up.

JMHO

Hi!
really great thread so interesting
-Personally I dont like soaking for all the reasons outlined however my major pet hate is spillage and removal of the bowl - it gets in the way and I waste time essentially on filling and removing it. So now Im convinced - no more soakage for me! However I am interested in the warm damp towels theory ... after putting on the exfoliating crystals & activator do you bag (cling film) and then put the warm damp towels over (for how long??) and then do you clean them off with the damp towel (now cold) also? Or do you let them wash their hands?

cheers! :hug:
Cait

At college a few years back I was taught always to soak the nails and then do cuticle work......and ti keep the nails wet always while doing the cuticle work...especially whilst using a cuticle knife. I have to say I never enjoyed that part as I felt I could never clearly see what I was doing properly what with the water and the product, and felt quite uncomfortbly about it, but as thats what I was taught at the time then I have always thought that must be the correct way to do it so yeah I still soak now because I thought i had to...apart from the times where i have a new cuticle softener to try out.
Im really pleased I have just read this thread as now I know that soaking and water are not necessary and actually not great for the health of the nail..so from now on I will not be doing any more soaking and will concentrate on finding a good alternative method of softening the eponychium and cuticle before removing it.

OMG I just saw my post in here, back in the days when I thought the eponychium was cuticle and cuticle was pterygium, all based on my course work. Maybe I've come further than I thought! :eek:

I dont soak now for manicures based on what I learned starting with this topic :)

OMG I just saw my post in here, back in the days when I thought the eponychium was cuticle and cuticle was pterygium, all based on my course work. Maybe I've come further than I thought! :eek:

I dont soak now for manicures based on what I learned starting with this topic :)

Cuticle is pterygium isnt it?

I was taught to soak for a few minutes

but for the first time ever I done a manicure on saturday and i didn't soak, mainly because I forgot my soak and manicure bowl!

I applied cuticle oil, a hand serum, wrap the hands in clingfilm and put in my towel mittts for 10 minutes. It worked a treat so i think i have now changed my way of thinking

this thread made me realise that when i manicure my own nails i never soak them

Cuticle is pterygium isnt it?

Myths and Fables Concerning Nails 6 December 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myths and Fables Concerning Nails 6 December 2004

Pterygium is all that stuff we remove from the nail plate prior to application.

No it is not …Cuticle is the non-living tissue that you remove from the nail plate prior to product application. There can be allot, as in your nail biter, or a little if someone looks after their nails.

Pterygium is 'living' tissue that (when talking about nails anyway) grows down the centre of the plate dividing the nail and is very painful if you try to do anything to it ... you certainly cannot remove it. Pterygium is a term for any overgrowth of skin cells (psoriasis is pterygium) on the body.

Eponychium is the living tissue, which surrounds zone 3 of the nail plate and is often incorrectly referred to as cuticle! No wonder so many get confused. But they wouldn't if they used the correct terms.

GIGI ROUSE
http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/11347-myths-fables-concerning-nails-6-december-2004-a.html

Does that help any??

I have a question. First I did soak but after having a client who's nails were peeling and asking you all about what I should do and I was advised to get the SolarOil by Creative and I decided last week to not soak anymore.

My question is in the directions it says to create a moisture pack using SolarOil and Cuticle Eraser. How is that done?

Thanks, Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back