Mature clients,,your advise please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancslass

Reaction score
I have a new client of fridaywhom is aged abouts 70

she wants nail enhancement but im just sat here wonderng what to do on her???

i dont think p+w will look right and i want to sculpt

can any one recomend what to do

does any one else have the more mature client?

something natural i would have thought would probably be better.

If it were me i would natural tip and clear powder or pink powder but i dont sculpt so .....no use to you matey !

you never know she may like pink and whites!

amb x

I have a few. It depends on what they want. If they want p&w then do them p&w but I tend to use soft white rather than the usual bright white as it is more flattering on mature skin. I also find oval or almond nails look much nicer but they tend to prefer the 'classic' look anyway. I don't think I've ever done a square nail on an older client. Natural enhancements look nice on older clients, then you could also offer them a nice polish if they want.

cheeers amber and nic

yes i cant see her going for square lol

I do my mum's nails and she's 70 (although she looks ten years younger). She keeps wanting a French finish, but I'm not sure if it would look right. Maybe I should try!

lancslass said:
I have a new client of fridaywhom is aged abouts 70

she wants nail enhancement but im just sat here wonderng what to do on her???

i dont think p+w will look right and i want to sculpt

can any one recomend what to do

does any one else have the more mature client?

I had several clients of this more mature age....and what they get up to at their tea dances is nobodies business!!!.....anyway,

You are right they tend not to lke the P&W look...I tended to do tips & overlay with a natural tip and then a mix of 2 parts soft white and 1 part natural powder in zone 1 and perfect pink in zone 2&3 .....you could sculpt with the soft white/natural mix too......this would be mostly for clients who didn't like to wear a polish....
I would just use perfect pink in all 3 zones on a natural tip for ones who wore polish all the time.....and it might be a cliche that older ladies like pearly pinks....but Strawberry Smoothy from CND was the most popular colour for them all...!!! HTH

the lady i did yesterday had her first ever french and loved it, she was 58, she said her hands had never looked so young and slender so you never know your lady may like the french look

why not try a few different example tips with different colors, and ask which one she likes before you do a whole set and she says..... ah dear, this is too flashy/drab for me.

my grandmother is the only older lady that i know of who likes a shape other than almond/oval. she has stilettos.... wild thang...

My ma in law is 70 and she loves her french look but i use soft white with a hint of gold in it, so she has a twinkle and natural in zone 2&3, she thinks she is very flash and is of cruising with her nails and ahve given her the mix formula in case she has any accidents as the tech on board is creative.
x

I'm not being critical but just want to ask: what has a clients age got to do with it?

If there isn't a problem with any contra indications it isn't up to a technician to decide what a client should have. Advice of course is in order but that will depend on the condition and shape of the nail together with what the client is hoping for.

70 isn't exactly a spring chicken but if she cares about her appearance enough to have nails, then, by this time she will have a pretty good idea of what she likes, so let her have it.

Years ago, my salon had a regular client for years who was in her 80's. She would come in every week wearimg her 'outfit' and wanted her nails to match this. It could be lepardskin, tartan, sparkly........ Fabulous!

My suggestion is not to treat a 70 year old any different from any other age. I'm sure she doesn't feel it inside :biggrin:

You know your getting old when 40 seems young! (I've had it!)

i agree with her... dont let age dictate what u will do. let her tell u what she wants!!! my little old ladies pretty much get everything. the one thing they all tend to want is the round oval shape.

rock* said:
on this site i heard of shells. here in the usa the trend hasnt gotten to us yet. i had my supplier get me some. i have strips and loose ones.....now ive tried 2 sets on me using the stuff, but i have NO clue how to do it...the strips i just put on the tips then put l&p over and gel for shine but it then it literally peeled off.the loose i put a thin l&p coat then pressed it in but when i filled in with pink it would mix and i only wanted it on the tips...it looks great but i wanted more shell and i kept brushin off. i NEED to master this cause i want to be the first and only tech to offer this!!! there has to be an easier way that what im doin.....HELP!!!!!!

You might want to start a new thread Rock if you want anyone to help you out with that :)

xxxx

Oh bless, hope I'll be taking care of my nails at that age, if I live to see it.

I'd say give her what she wants. Explain all your treatments to her. If she goes for p&w choose a nice subtle one for her, bet she'd be pleased!

Yeps I agree with Mum here ... I have clients of all ages and I let them decide what they want .... if they ask my advice then I give it depending on their life style etc. I have ladies of late 50's & 60's that love their pink and white and sparkly bits and have them long too and younger ladies that hate them and go for natural and polished or soft white/natural and short. I never make the assumption that because they are retired or a little older - and thats not much older than me these days lol so I guess thats why this touched a litte nerve :) that they will only wnat pale pink lol

I had a lady of 82 come for her first manicure the other day and had a lovely bright colour on her nails and now wnats a pedicure and is bringing her friend :)

Offer her all of your nails and styles and then help her to decide :)

Jo x :hug:

~Jo~ said:
I had a lady of 82 come for her first manicure the other day and had a lovely bright colour on her nails and now wnats a pedicure and is bringing her friend :)

Jo x :hug:

Fantastic stuff Jo!

The thing that makes an older client's hands look most youthful is colour!!
A nice warm to bright colour really enhances the shape and look of the older client's nails and makes the skin look more youthful on the hands too.

We once did a series of photos of mature hands with and without colour and the difference with colour was amazing.

Ladies of a more mature age love enamel colour too and are a great retail opportunity.

But as mum says .. we are there to do what the client wants and I love a lady who is still interested in her appearance and wants to have beautiful hands and nails at whatever age! Bless em all.

Awww Tracy I'm so sad that you think 58 is old.........

We have many (well at least a dozen) women in their 80's the eldest being 86 who come every 2 weeks for their regular rebalance, I have posted on this site before that I'm never entirely sure if they're coming for a 'hug' or to have their nails done or just to spend a bit of time with someone who is still interested in them...

like MUM says, let THEM decide what they want, give them the options..and leave it TO them...

Must add that some of the most salacious and /or interesting stories come from this group, not the youngsters...helps to keep the job interesting and fulfilling!!!!

NOT as SAD as I am who will be 58 on my next birthday!!! Don't think I look old or feel old either. Damn it I'm NOT old!!

Don't stress ... I'm laughing!! :D Thank god I can still do that! In fact I think it's what keeps you young.

fiona wallace said:
Awww Tracy I'm so sad that you think 58 is old.........

We have many (well at least a dozen) women in their 80's the eldest being 86 who come every 2 weeks for their regular rebalance, I have posted on this site before that I'm never entirely sure if they're coming for a 'hug' or to have their nails done or just to spend a bit of time with someone who is still interested in them...

like MUM says, let THEM decide what they want, give them the options..and leave it TO them...

Must add that some of the most salacious and /or interesting stories come from this group, not the youngsters...helps to keep the job interesting and fulfilling!!!!

geeg said:
NOT as SAD as I am who will be 58 on my next birthday!!! Don't think I look old or feel old either. Damn it I'm NOT old!!

Don't stress ... I'm laughing!! :D Thank god I can still do that! In fact I think it's what keeps you young.

Hey, hubby is 58 and is one of the wisest, smartest, most motivating and humorous people I know (he's also a pain the a**e sometimes, but who isn't?)

No, Geeg you certainly don't look old and last time I felt, you didn't feel old either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back