Mica powders

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered the pastel collection, I had been looking for pastel glitters but stumbled arcross this thread ;) Now I know why I've not been on SG for a while It always has me spending money lol the colour shack on ebay will be wondering whats going on with all these new orders :lol: xx

Hi guys, I have been reading all your messages about mica powders on nails and may be able to help you with some of your problems.

There are several grades of mica powder on sale - some for general crafts and some for cosmetic use. The cosmetic grade are pure mica powders with no added binders or chemicals and they are fully skin safe so they have no asbestos or heavy metals in them which many craft micas do.

The craft micas on sale for rubber stamping and other decorative effects are mixed with various resins and binding agents which will not fully disolve in the nail varnish or gel bases and can feel gritty. More importantly they will stop a full bond on the nail which can lead to chipping or flaking as well as the polish not setting firmly. They are also not considered skin safe :(.

It has to be said that they are incredibly beautiful though and as you can mix the colours together you have un unlimited palette to create with :D

I hope this helps a little.

I've just ordered the French collection from eBay, had anyone got this type? X

I would love to see the 2 tone ones x

Are there any similarities in these powders and the anticipated additives from cnd?x
So many questions! :D
To Answer your question in short. No! LOL. I have used the Additives.
Additives are pigments with either none or a few Mica's added.
I use Mica powders and in a nutshell they are a subtle addition of colour where the CND Additives are a fuel injected punch of colour.
You can also add additives to your L&P and Gels and tbh I cant see the mica powders really packing the punch in these systems, Best to embellish a Veil of colour over shellac.
HTH
Jen xx
First Pic is of CND Additives and second is mica powders with Freehand.

Attachments

• 306161_10150889345607962_615977961_9789656_490038278_n.jpg
    306161_10150889345607962_615977961_9789656_490038278_n.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 721
  • 525791_10150889343567962_615977961_9789638_1223141840_n.jpg
    525791_10150889343567962_615977961_9789638_1223141840_n.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 756
Last edited:
They look fantastic x

Hi guys, I have been reading all your messages about mica powders on nails and may be able to help you with some of your problems.

There are several grades of mica powder on sale - some for general crafts and some for cosmetic use. The cosmetic grade are pure mica powders with no added binders or chemicals and they are fully skin safe so they have no asbestos or heavy metals in them which many craft micas do.

The craft micas on sale for rubber stamping and other decorative effects are mixed with various resins and binding agents which will not fully disolve in the nail varnish or gel bases and can feel gritty. More importantly they will stop a full bond on the nail which can lead to chipping or flaking as well as the polish not setting firmly. They are also not considered skin safe :(.

It has to be said that they are incredibly beautiful though and as you can mix the colours together you have un unlimited palette to create with :D

How would you know if the ones on eBay , such as colour shack are safe? I m worried now!!!

Hi,

This is great information.

I am concerned now too about the contents of the Mica Powders we have all been buying. I've looked at the packaging and there is no mention of (as far as I'm aware) any of those scary ingredients however I will drop an email off to the sender to see if they can help or point me in the direction of their manufacturer.

Will keep everyone posted. Xx

To Answer your question in short. No! LOL. I have used the Additives.
Additives are pigments with either none or a few Mica's added.
I use Mica powders and in a nutshell they are a subtle addition of colour where the CND Additives are a fuel injected punch of colour.
You can also add additives to your L&P and Gels and tbh I cant see the mica powders really packing the punch in these systems, Best to embellish a Veil of colour over shellac.
HTH
Jen xx
First Pic is of CND Additives and second is mica powders with Freehand.
Fab colours! When are we likely to see the additives here?Xx

I find it hard to believe people would be allowed to sell anything with asbestos there are so many laws against it. I would of thought trading standards would of been all over it by now of there was a danger x

Hmm, I just went out today and bought some "Perfect Pearls, Mica Powder" after reading this thread over the last month or so..just read the post about the craft powders being unsafe?

Have I just wasted £30 on these powders?

hi all... is anyone else having a problem with the mica's wearing on the free edge within a few days?

thanks in advance, kayleigh x

I find that after a week or so they wear away on my own nails but seem to be fine on clients...not sure if its because i rush my own and maybe dont cap properly :-/

I was just wondering if you charge extra for the powdered nails and if so how much? I've searched but can't find the answer. I do rockstar nails and I charge a bit extra for them so would you price these the same as rockstar nails?

I've just got some Barry M powder and I'm having so much fun!

I was just wondering if you charge extra for the powdered nails and if so how much? I've searched but can't find the answer. I do rockstar nails and I charge a bit extra for them so would you price these the same as rockstar nails?

I've just got some Barry M powder and I'm having so much fun!

I have mine priced the same as my Rockstars xx

Thanks Planky1. That's what I was thinking just wanted to check.

I have mine priced the same as my Rockstars xx

Me too, I charge £3 extra for mica powders, foils and Rockstar. Starting to think I should charge £5. What does everyone else do? My normal shellac, colour or French is £25.

Me too, I charge £3 extra for mica powders, foils and Rockstar. Starting to think I should charge £5. What does everyone else do? My normal shellac, colour or French is £25.

I charge £22 for Shellac colour, £25 for French. Then Rockstars and Pigments I charge £28

Has anyone had any problems at all with the mica powders??

I have a regular Shellac client and she gets 3 weeks out of her Shellac, we pale pastel pink mica on Saturday and today (mon) I got a text saying it's started to chip...

So not sure whether I'm doing the procedure correctly (I'm using the same techniques as Holly's V3 Rockstars), so base, cure, 1 x colour, cure, mica powder, top coat x 2 cure.

I have looked at all the threads and I really want some pastel colour mica's , but abit confused where to get them from. Some are saying be careful of additives in them / coarseness etc. Can you tell me where you got yours from as you mention a pale pastel pink mica. Thanks

Latest posts

Back