Mica powders

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't see the difference in putting mica powder into the inhibition layer to putting glitter. They are both being placed over the top of cured gel. As will CND additives be.

I understand what you are saying and that's what I was thinking it's going on the nail not the skin isn't it. Shellac is hypoallergenic but you are still not meant to get it all over the skin are you.

On my leaflet it said not meant for use on skin but can be added to varnish for shimmering effects :?: hmmm

I understand what you are saying and that's what I was thinking it's going on the nail not the skin isn't it. Shellac is hypoallergenic but you are still not meant to get it all over the skin are you.

On my leaflet it said not meant for use on skin but can be added to varnish for shimmering effects :?: hmmm

Well i have mica powder what i get of ebay and use for eye shadow and stuff and it does statw it can so thats strangw x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Well i have mica powder what i get of ebay and use for eye shadow and stuff and it does statw it can so thats strangw x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

There are two types Hun craft mica and cosmetic grade. When I ordered mine I didn't realise there was two types. If yours states can be used on skin then it's cosmetic grade. Xx

It is nigh on impossible when applying not to get some on the skin ! I find the Mica more messy that glitter because it is so fine. I know it isn't on the skin for long as your gel cleanse at the end cleans it all away too, but what about clients who bite their nails and end up nibbling at the edge of their mica nails to pick it off ? They may ingest some. :eek:

It is nigh on impossible when applying not to get some on the skin ! I find the Mica more messy that glitter because it is so fine. I know it isn't on the skin for long as your gel cleanse at the end cleans it all away too, but what about clients who bite their nails and end up nibbling at the edge of their mica nails to pick it off ? They may ingest some. :eek:

Just a thought but if you knew they were a nail biter then why not find a way to suggest to them mica powders can't be used on them without scaring them obviously.

Have to confess I don't have any nail biters at all. Plus I would have thought that no nail product is meant to be ingested doesn't matter what it is. So nail biters are at risk from any product you put on their nails.

I'm assuming when they say not to be used on skin they are referring to a make sort of way. Plus like you said you cleanse andnthe mica is not on the nail bed either because I would have either an OPI or shellac base plus colour then mica then top coat.

I will be buying CND effects when they come out. Xx

Hmm mine are going in the bin :sad: not risking it. Where did you buy yours from Hun if you don't mind me asking x

I've always bought mine from coastal scents x

I've always bought mine from coastal scents x

Thank you Hun,

I just got some from the colour shack and they were very helpful. I now have bought the proper cosmetic grade mica and they are traceable so I know they are safe.

So glad I read all this thread. Still getting CND effects tho :D xx

I love the colour of the mica powders but i find that however careful i am when applying the shellac top coat it seems that the powders go a little patchy and even comes off a little in places and very easily at that.
I am so gutted about this because the colours are beautiful, I may try 2 top coats next time.

Anyone else find this happening? :(

I love the colour of the mica powders but i find that however careful i am when applying the shellac top coat it seems that the powders go a little patchy and even comes off a little in places and very easily at that.
I am so gutted about this because the colours are beautiful, I may try 2 top coats next time.

Anyone else find this happening? :(

I apply my mica with a brush and then brush over it so there is no dust left over the nail at all, I then top coat only once. Are you brushing it all off so there are no little clumps before top coating. X

My most popular with clients is fades with mica powder.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342531799.008918.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342531799.008918.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 573
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342531835.244306.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342531835.244306.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 527
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342531889.611252.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342531889.611252.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 533
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342531933.021056.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342531933.021056.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 797
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342531965.921334.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342531965.921334.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 525
My most popular with clients is fades with mica powder.

Wow! These are lovely I especially like the purple and pink one.
Can I ask is this purple purple with a pink mica powder?Xx

Wow! These are lovely I especially like the purple and pink one.
Can I ask is this purple purple with a pink mica powder?Xx

Thank you, i had that on my nails for 3 weeks, looked lovely. No it's actually tutti frutti with blue mica powder

Thank you, i had that on my nails for 3 weeks, looked lovely. No it's actually tutti frutti with blue mica powder

Beautiful! Is that shellac tutti frutti or Gelish tutti frutti? X

Hi ladies

There has been some talk on here of craft and cosmetic micas. I have just bought some beautiful colours from The Colour Shack on eBay. Just to let you know if you buy the micas for nails they are 100% cosmetic grade and safe for nails and toes. The lady is absolutely lovely and very helpful and I confirmed to her what I wanted to do with the micas before I bought them.

Xxxx

I've got their mica powders and the delivery was really fast with great customer service. Lovely colours too.

[QUOTE=Nails
Hi I make sure I brush off completely there has never been any clumpy lumps in it as I wouldnt dream of putting top coat on if it wasn't smooth. So frustrating. :(

Just to add my 2 cents worth...I've been using mica powders by BarryM for near on 7 years with no problems. It is cosmetic grade and can be used on the skin. I use it mixed with hard gel and store it in small opaque pots to be used again and again. I only mix up a little at a time tho.
It's a fantastic service to offer and is what set me apart from my competiton!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Nails Hi I make sure I brush off completely there has never been any clumpy lumps in it as I wouldnt dream of putting top coat on if it wasn't smooth. So frustrating. :([/quote said:
Im not sure then. When I didn't top brush it down smooth and then top coated I would get an uneven surface, so that's all I can think of. Can you not top coat, re apply the powder and then top coat again? X X x

Latest posts

Back