Mica powders

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi just wondered where people get there mica powder from and how much they pay and what amount they get. Ive just seen someone is selling 1000 grams/ 1kg of mica and starting bid is only £9.99, on ebay.
Is this a good price, I think a 1000 grams would last me forever lol :D

I charge £22 for Shellac colour, £25 for French. Then Rockstars and Pigments I charge £28

Do your prices include removal Planky?

I was really disappointed with mine, I read this and thought I had it down (I did forget to dampen my brush so colour was not pastel peach more like a cream with hint of peach lol) but apart from that looked fine until the next day like it was coming off in bits underneath boooo! what did I do wrong? xx

The first time I did mine I used way too much power and they started to come off when I was removing the sticky later. The next time I did them I did them I used a tiny bit of powder and I've had them on since Monday night and they are ok so far. Less is definatly more!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Think I might try mixing some into my TC, apply that, cure, then second thin layer of TC and see if they last better. I will, of course, be buying the CND additives the minute they're out though ;)

I just scrub it into the tacky layer of shellac & then topcoat....they seem to last fine.

I cant wait for the additives though :lol:

When do we get cnd additives here....I want!

I want additives here too !

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi guys, I have been reading all your messages about mica powders on nails and may be able to help you with some of your problems.

There are several grades of mica powder on sale - some for general crafts and some for cosmetic use. The cosmetic grade are pure mica powders with no added binders or chemicals and they are fully skin safe so they have no asbestos or heavy metals in them which many craft micas do.

The craft micas on sale for rubber stamping and other decorative effects are mixed with various resins and binding agents which will not fully disolve in the nail varnish or gel bases and can feel gritty. More importantly they will stop a full bond on the nail which can lead to chipping or flaking as well as the polish not setting firmly. They are also not considered skin safe :(.

It has to be said that they are incredibly beautiful though and as you can mix the colours together you have un unlimited palette to create with :D

I hope this helps a little.

Hi,

This is great information.

I am concerned now too about the contents of the Mica Powders we have all been buying. I've looked at the packaging and there is no mention of (as far as I'm aware) any of those scary ingredients however I will drop an email off to the sender to see if they can help or point me in the direction of their manufacturer.

Will keep everyone posted. Xx

Hmm, I just went out today and bought some "Perfect Pearls, Mica Powder" after reading this thread over the last month or so..just read the post about the craft powders being unsafe?

Have I just wasted £30 on these powders?

How would you know if the ones on eBay , such as colour shack are safe? I m worried now!!!

Are we any further forward in finding out about the safety aspects of some Mica powders bought from Craft sites?

Are we any further forward in finding out about the safety aspects of some Mica powders bought from Craft sites?

Hi

I've sent off a fair few emails about this to suppliers and manufacturers; all of which have promised to get back to me but they haven't.

I'm a bit stuck as to where to go next.

These are what I found on eBay mica powder with Shellac :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1339703204.820747.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1339703204.820747.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 766
All the colours of the rainbow.... So pwwwwwetty!

What shellac is under those beauts?

All the colours of the rainbow.... So pwwwwwetty!

What shellac is under those beauts?

I used colours similar to the powders so from start is: Blackpool, Cream Puff, Hotski x 2, Iced Coral x 2, Tropix x 2, Hotski x 2, Purple Purple, Tutti Frutti :))

You mix them with water for use in craft projects. If you're using them with Shellac or Gelish you just rub it over the sticky layer (I do it over white) and top coat just like rockstars. I tried the pink over white (comes out pink obviously!) and also over Purple Purple and it comes out a lovely lilac sort of colour. If you had the time I think you'd have loads of variations trying mica over different base colours! X

My top coat is ruining the effect. What am I doing wrong?

These are what I found on eBay mica powder with Shellac :)

Beautiful colours, did you buy these as one set? Do you have the link or details of where you got them please. They are a nice mix.

Same question again can anyone give any further answers regarding craft Mica on eBay and the safety with nails.

I've just bought some and I don't want to use them if they are unsafe. Mine state not to use them on skin!! But what about nails. ??

All the mica powders I've ever bought have stated they're safe for use on skin, lips, eyes and nails, although I've never purchased from eBay so I can't help there x

All the mica powders I've ever bought have stated they're safe for use on skin, lips, eyes and nails, although I've never purchased from eBay so I can't help there x

Hmm mine are going in the bin :sad: not risking it. Where did you buy yours from Hun if you don't mind me asking x

Same question again can anyone give any further answers regarding craft Mica on eBay and the safety with nails.

I've just bought some and I don't want to use them if they are unsafe. Mine state not to use them on skin!! But what about nails. ??

I can't see the difference in putting mica powder into the inhibition layer to putting glitter. They are both being placed over the top of cured gel. As will CND additives be.

Latest posts

Back