Microplane footfile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
As they are brilliant, but quite difficult to get hold and usually very expensive i hope its ok to mention that they are the tsv on qvc today at a bargain price.

Saw it, and orderd it at midnight, cant wait to get it now.

be careful with Microplanes, they can draw blood if you are not careful.

I've always shied away from one of these as they do look a bit vicious!

Last edited:
I ordered one last night too

ooohhh thanks guys ive just ordered one!!!

Whoo hoo xxx:biggrin:

Not sure if you are thinking of the same thing as me.They are like graters not the planes that cut the skin that have blades.Microplane International
try it on your fingertips, Microplane also make food grade graters.

These footfiles are razor sharp and grate the skin off your feet, if you grate to far, you get blood, I wouldn't be surprised if they will be put in the same category as "blades" soon enough.

try it on your fingertips, Microplane also make food grade graters.

These footfiles are razor sharp and grate the skin off your feet, if you grate to far, you get blood, I wouldn't be surprised if they will be put in the same category as "blades" soon enough.

Ah you are thinking the same thing just wasn't sure ...yes i agree Nailzoo they are quite sharp. But most metal ones are ,so yes people do be careful and have a go on yourself and get the hang of them before you use them on clients.
They are also for dry skin (pre soak) so spray sanitise the foot before use.

I wonder whether sometimes it is forgotten that hard skin on the feet is there for a reason. Sure, we can improve the sight of it, and buff down the excess, but I'm very nervous about taking it right down to soft skin. It will only grow back, because of the client's gait, their posture, their shoes. I once had all the callus removed and my feet were so sore afterwards; there was no protection there any more. I prefer to suggest to my clients that they use something like Flexitol, or any cream with a high urea content to get on top of excess callus. Far gentler than hacking about with a grater, or a pedi razor (heaven forfend!).
Just my two pennorth.
:)

Its like with anything else though isnt it its common sense and training.You should see the foot file my daughter was given in her nvq student kit it would rip anyones feet to shreds its now conveniently lost.
These are very good files if you are careful and sensible a lot safer than a lot of others and they last and can be disinfected easily.
Be careful in the same way you would be with your nippers and other equipment.We are using tools on people we are always capable of doing damage if we are not.

Foot filkes are one thing ..... blades are another.

Footblades are only to be used by professionals for a reason.... and by professionals I mean Podiatrists and Chiropodists (not beauty therapists or nail technicians).

As I already stated, these Microplanes are VERY sharp and I'm concerned that your insurance may be void by using such implements. Perhaps you should check how far your insurance will go. I would consider a Microplane as a blade (hundreds of them side by side).

Even on their website they say .... From the woodshop… to the kitchen… to the salon

I have 3 different food microplanes and have grated the end of my fingers on several occasions.

As another post mentioned, thick skin is there for a reason and should not be completely removed (it will just build up again) as it is there as a "buffer" against the obvious treatment your are giving you feet.

Even though it may seem unattractive ....... callouses build up for the same reason (it's your bodies way of protecting itself).

i rarely even use a metal foot grater.
I find a big foot file (the black and white ones) far more effective. It rolls the dead dry skin off the foot!! you can add it into the price of the pedi and gve it ur client to take home aswel. you can use them to rub in the foor scrub aswell as to buff off the skin.

i rarely even use a metal foot grater.
I find a big foot file (the black and white ones) far more effective. It rolls the dead dry skin off the foot!! you can add it into the price of the pedi and gve it ur client to take home aswel. you can use them to rub in the foor scrub aswell as to buff off the skin.

Same here. I've never liked the look or feel of the metal foot files.

I use the "abrasive / sandpaper like" foot files. I find they do a really good job and like Katelisa says, you can use them wet or dry and the dead skin does come off like foot dandruff :lol:

My clients are always amazed and one of them in particular can't wait for me to get my foot file out as she is mesmerized by the amount of dead skin that comes off. Weird :lol:

Marlise

Indeed it is your body's way of protecting its self, but I myself suffer with serious hard dead skin on my feet, and no amount of foot moisturiser/balm helps even if I put it on them 50 times a day (I have a problem with my knee's and it reflects on my feet).

If I don't keep on top of keeping the hard skin building up, my heels split, and that is painful and my heels are open to infection, so not only do I have the hard skin to deal with I also have a painful wound.

I've ordered the microplane, because I have seen them before but just didn't know where I could get hold of one at a reasonable price. When I do get to have a go with it, I'm sure it will do the job intended without any cuts, because frankly I would be nuts to go mad with what I can only describe as a cheese grater for feet on my feet for that very reason. (And if it is like a razor blade splicing and dicing my feet, I have 30 days to send it back).

Last edited:
It is likely that these will be considered as 'invasive' like the traditional blades and salon insurance does not cover these!!

use them on you self if you want but be very sure you are insured before you use them on clients!

Personally, I don't think it's worth taking the chance. There are so many other efficient methods and products that do the job

(And if it is like a razor blade splicing and dicing my feet, I have 30 days to send it back).

PMSL
are you gonna send your foot gratings with it too?!?! lol.

lol I could do...but I think maybe they'd b just a tad grossed out..

It's funny because one of my fellow geeks here in the states turned me on to this thing. I was skeptical at first but I broke down and got one (bought it in the kitchen utensils aisle at Bed Bath and Beyond) So I did use it and I did very much like the results. But you must be light handed with it (I even got the "fine" one) I think my favorite foot tool will always be that hard red plastic Swedish Clover foot file. And of course Callus Eliminator to break down the feet with the thick hard skin but if you are pressed for time and can be very attentive I think the Microplane (when used safely) can be very effective.

The Microplane File is Awesome!! Very gentle on the feet. Never heard of anyone drawing any blood from one of these. And yeah their kitchen products are very sharp, but the design is much different for the foot file. It is designed to be safe on the skin. I do have to be careful or it does irritate the new skin but very quickly you know your limit. As for professionals using it this is not a blade..it is a file. Don't let the metal fool you since it is bi-directional it cannot act like a blade. Easily sanitized. Plus this thing lasts forever! I have had mine for 2+ years and still good. So worth the extra cash!! I am not into buying cheap products especially for something I am going to use on my body. YEAH FOR MICROPLANE!!!!:lol:

Latest posts

Back