Music in Salons? license needed??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol:i had this call the other day!!

Its a joke, they prob bring it in to homes!!!! :eek:

£80 a rip off, they could charge at lest £10 a year:confused:

Yes, you have to pay it, they get you every which way in business!

Thing that gets me is who gets the money at the end of the day and how is it apportioned to the artists?!

I only ever play CDs but have been paying for both for 2 years now, am going to investigate this!!

I play relaxing cds in salon, i buy them locally, i got a call the other day demanding i pay £80 as i was illegally playing music without the express permission of the performer, (in my case mainly the sea as i use alot of wave sounds:lol:) joking aside, the person was so rude i told them where to go, i just figured it was a con call as i get so many of them. Next thing i know the owner of the hairdressers i rent space from has bought one of these licenses for £80. Is this needed, help!:eek:

I had a call like that about 2 years ago and I did nothing about it, I never heard nothing since. I would leave it and dont pay hun xxx

be cheap and sing!!! :lol:

or ask your client to Humm in Harmony with you if she/he likes:)

yeah i get them to do that on the sunbeds at work!!!

I know here you do need a license to play music in a public business.

Last edited:
WOW really you have to pay to play music in your own business, do you have to pay for playing music at your home as well??? That is beyond ridiculous, at my salon we play internet radio so we choose the kind of mood we want to creat on a daliy basis. Sucks to be in the UK with that tax.

WOW really you have to pay to play music in your own business, do you have to pay for playing music at your home as well??? That is beyond ridiculous, at my salon we play internet radio so we choose the kind of mood we want to creat on a daliy basis. Sucks to be in the UK with that tax.

No, we do not need a licence to play music in our own home, but if we have a home based salon then yes we do.
And as for all those taxes we pay, they go to fund a health service which is (still!) the envy of the world, an education system, a (largely) uncorrupt police force, and many other public services.

its disgusting the governement doesn't know where else to make money, watch it soon you will need a licence for your client to use your toilet.
Ha ha! you've really made me laugh with that one - but joking aside I know what you mean.
Some one on this site gave details of a website which supplied music/radio which you didn't need a license for, I think you just had to do a one off payment. And they would send you example CDs of their music first. But I can't remember which Geek it was or what the site was, how useless am I. Let's hope she's reading this and can enlighten us all.

No, we do not need a licence to play music in our own home, but if we have a home based salon then yes we do.
And as for all those taxes we pay, they go to fund a health service which is (still!) the envy of the world, an education system, a (largely) uncorrupt police force, and many other public services.

I got a couple of letters with request for payment for a licence for my business and my daughter who used to be a mobile nail tech also got a request for a payment. The had obviously got our numbers out of the local directory and was just sending out mass letters. The letter mentioned a way of emailing them back if the business was no longer viable so I did this with regard to my daughter and was getting prepared to pay my funds. Then we received another letter about a week later final demanding payment... so I phoned the PRS Licencing office to talk about my daughters buiness no longer being viable so could they take them details off their records... but then mentioned my home salon business. To which they replied that I do not need a PRS Licence to play music in my home based salon if the salon was a room in my home. I asked for clarification and they repeated the statement. I have not had any letters since and this must be 9 months ago now.

Very confusing isnt it :eek:

its disgusting the governement doesn't know where else to make money,

It's got nothing to do with the government, it's the recording industry who enforces this.

they replied that I do not need a PRS Licence to play music in my home based salon if the salon was a room in my home.

Just to echo this. I had a letter from the PRS saying they would be in touch with regards any license I may require for the playing of copyrighted music. A rather lovely lady phoned me a week or two later, we had a chat and she explained that since my treatment room was within the house I didn't need a license.

However if the treatment room isn't part of the main building (converted garage or other building) then a license is required. About £80 a year I think.

Mat

we've looked into this im a beauty therapist within hair salon. from what i read on net we both need separate ones. rubbish as i mainly do tans and waxing and hardly play music

Please be careful with this one. Make sure when u r paying this that u r actually paying it to the correct ppl. There is a scam where they ask u for this money and they have nothing to do with PRS.

yeah thats right its a new law if you want to play music in your college/salon/workplace you need i think its called a public performance license! bit stupid really another way to get money out of people lol

x

Latest posts

Back