my 1st post, need general advice about starting new career as nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky's nails

Reaction score
hi everyone, ive been around for few weeks now, found the site sooooo helpful, ive realised so many things that i wouldnt have even thought of if i hadnt seen them on here,

in oct/nov i did a 4 day 'in house' course at a salon by me, to see if i liked it before expanding into the business properly, i loved it, but knew straight away that although others on my course where going to start charging clients and one of them was even working in her mums salon, i knew i needed to learn and practise so much more before i could even contemplate having 'clients' and not 'models' or 'guinea pigs' lol

but obviously there are so many courses/ products etc to choose from, creative, EZ flow, star nails, Pronails etc etc, i have seen so many 'cheap' courses that claim you can get qualified and insured for a 2 day £190 course, that my head is quite baffled lol

anyway, i have some basics, brushes, clippers, files, santisier(sp) l&p, wipes, acetone etc that came in my training kit, but as well as choosing which course to undertake , do i need a table, wrist rest, uniform , storage case etc (i will be mobile when i eventually get there) or can i manage without them for now.

also how long will it be (approx) before i would be able to take clients, even at a reduced practise rate? am i lookign at 6-12 months of practise and courses or am i way off,in my estimations?

how many courses do you need to take with say creative , ezflow etc before you would be able to get insurance to practise on live model and not a nail trainer etc ie, with the creative foundation course, can you practise after this til your ready to start charging or do you have to be a master before your qualified to charge (hope this makes sense)

and also before we remortgage so i can have some money to put into my business, am i going to be looking at £700-1,000 to get started or more like £2-3,000, obviously i know i will have to take more course to update my training over the years, but just for the initial 1st year anyone got a ballpark figure?

i know some of these questions seem so open ended, but honestly any opinions will be gratefully recieved

i have read some threads where 'newbies' have hit nerves with the 'properly trained, professional nail techs' so if i have offended anyone i really didnt mean to, i want to join this profession properly, i am a perfectionist in all that i do (apart from my spelling lol) and would like to hope that i can one day (hopefully not too far in the future) be a very good nail tech , like so many of you on here. and not for one minute do i think i can sit a few courses and become a brill tech immediatley

sorry for waffling

Nicky x

Hi and welcome to the site!

Regarding training...have you read this article by Sassy it may help you...

http://www.salongeek.com/training/27430-answer-most-faq-training-should-i-choose.html

As regards all of your other questions...I don't really feel qualfied to anserr most of them....but I am sure you will get some good advice here.

I have noticed the site is not that busy at weekends...so don't worry if you don't get a lot of replies right away.

Why not do a search on the site...as maybe some of your questions may have been asked and answered already.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

p.s....I love your avatar!!!

hi everyone, ive been around for few weeks now, found the site sooooo helpful, ive realised so many things that i wouldnt have even thought of if i hadnt seen them on here,

in oct/nov i did a 4 day 'in house' course at a salon by me, to see if i liked it before expanding into the business properly, i loved it, but knew straight away that although others on my course where going to start charging clients and one of them was even working in her mums salon, i knew i needed to learn and practise so much more before i could even contemplate having 'clients' and not 'models' or 'guinea pigs' lol

but obviously there are so many courses/ products etc to choose from, creative, EZ flow, star nails, Pronails etc etc, i have seen so many 'cheap' courses that claim you can get qualified and insured for a 2 day £190 course, that my head is quite baffled lol

anyway, i have some basics, brushes, clippers, files, santisier(sp) l&p, wipes, acetone etc that came in my training kit, but as well as choosing which course to undertake , do i need a table, wrist rest, uniform , storage case etc (i will be mobile when i eventually get there) or can i manage without them for now.

also how long will it be (approx) before i would be able to take clients, even at a reduced practise rate? am i lookign at 6-12 months of practise and courses or am i way off,in my estimations?

how many courses do you need to take with say creative , ezflow etc before you would be able to get insurance to practise on live model and not a nail trainer etc ie, with the creative foundation course, can you practise after this til your ready to start charging or do you have to be a master before your qualified to charge (hope this makes sense)

and also before we remortgage so i can have some money to put into my business, am i going to be looking at £700-1,000 to get started or more like £2-3,000, obviously i know i will have to take more course to update my training over the years, but just for the initial 1st year anyone got a ballpark figure?

i know some of these questions seem so open ended, but honestly any opinions will be gratefully recieved

i have read some threads where 'newbies' have hit nerves with the 'properly trained, professional nail techs' so if i have offended anyone i really didnt mean to, i want to join this profession properly, i am a perfectionist in all that i do (apart from my spelling lol) and would like to hope that i can one day (hopefully not too far in the future) be a very good nail tech , like so many of you on here. and not for one minute do i think i can sit a few courses and become a brill tech immediatley

sorry for waffling

Nicky x

Hi Nicky

Glad you are so eager to become a nail tech. I qaulified as a Nail tech last July and am still perfecting my l&p and learning loads- from this site!

I was really miserable in my office job and loved nails/beauty etc. I thought i could just enrole on a 5 day intensive course (which i did) and whehey I'd be running my own business (which also, I am) but.............

Knowing what i know now about how much there is to learn, patience, skill and loads of practise and lots of questions to get answers for you can't know it all in just 5 days!! I would invest in a 'proper' course. My trainer was fantastic at the time but i was new to it all then and thought she had explained everything!

So take a course by NSI, Creative, Essential nails.... etc (reputable companies) and not cash & carry courses. You can get insured on completion of course and accepting paying clients/public depends on how confident you are there isn't a specific time scale.
Knowing what kit you get in your chosen course will help you decide what other equipment you need, ask you mentor for advice.

As for how much money you need to start up also varies on what products/equipment you need to get (your choice)- I must admit it ain't cheap but invest wisely. You will be able to get a better idea of costing etc once you have got your course booked.

Hope this helps a little, it's difficult to advise people on what they need as every tech works so differently, I work from home so don't know much about mobile techs.

good luck:)

xxx

Firstly I would suggest you enroll at your nearest college and do a VTCT or equivelant mani and pedi course. This will give you an excellent foundation on which to grow your skills and become successful in your business.
It is impossible to learn enough in 5 days no matter how intensive and reputable the trainers. Only when you have qualified would I then start on the advanced stuff and a good place to start is at one of the nail shows to have a look round and see what products take your fancy.
Last year i spent over £1,000 converting to Bio and OPI and thats without building up my stock of gels!!

It is not for the faint hearted so you need to be sure that this is the career for you. In my very humble opinion it can take upto 5 years to be a fully experienced and skillful technician.
Good luck

I would also do a basic manicure and pedicure course first, maybe with VTCT learn all about nail structures, types, contra-indications, contra-actions etc etc and it will give you a good foundation to go onto other courses.

Firstly I wanted to say good luck with everything! :)

I think as with everything in life, it almost always costs more than you think it will. For me I found I spent a few hundred pounds on marketing as well, to get me off the ground, (leaflets and a Yellow Pages box ad) but I'm glad I did because it paid off enormously with new bookings every week.

When I was mobile (now work from home) I couldn't have done without my table (square/round ones mean you have to work with your back twisted), my portable height adjustable stool (you get given chairs that are too high, too low or with arms so you can't move yours freely), and my Daylight lamp as some people have no idea and put you in a dingy corner and expect you to be able to work there.

HTH xx

thanks girls, lots of advice, and lots more to think about!! thanks again for your welcomes

nicky x

i was wondering about the college courses in mani and pedi that a few people mentioned, wouldnt college courses be full of 16-17 year old girls, i think id stick out like a sore thumb lol, has anyone else gone to college to do a basic mani/pedi course and if so did you find it awkward being older than everyone else?

thanks
nicky x

Hi nicky,im training at college for mani/pedi/enhancements/nailart and was worried about this age this aswell.Im 38yrs but when i got these the others was about 30ish anyway we have got some younge girls aswell {when they turn up lol}.But once you go you wont look back its great.welcome to the site any adive i can give you about college send us IM but all the proffessional advice you need you will get on here its amazing to read and learn form the advanced pros,i cant wait till i get where they are.Anyway good luck zena xx

thanks zena have pm'd you thanks for replying, i might go and ask at local college if they offer a course that would suit me, but i think i would struggle to do a full time course with the kids till being young? god its sooo hard, i so want to do this, but keep finding hurdles lol

i will get there, even if it kills me

nicky x

my coarse is tues/thurs 3hrs each,then you get homework {lots of it im afraid} but you could do abit when kids in bed like we do.I started last september 06 and it will end in july i think.HTH x

right going to ring the college this morning and see what classes they have to offer, will prob have to wait til september i suppose, but if somethings worth doing eh

thanks again for all the advice much appreciated

nicky x

I've just started at college in the evenings and there is a mixed age range. I was worried about being with loads of young girls too.

There are a few young girls but they have an awful attitude and probably wont learn much!

I started off on a quick learn course and I am back at the beginning now. So its best to start off on a mani and pedi course too get experience and too see if you like it

hi gemma

can i ask what course your doing at college?

nicky x

thanks zena have pm'd you thanks for replying, i might go and ask at local college if they offer a course that would suit me, but i think i would struggle to do a full time course with the kids till being young? god its sooo hard, i so want to do this, but keep finding hurdles lol

i will get there, even if it kills me

nicky x
hi nicky i did and evening course at our local college firstly for manicure cert and then for a diploma in advanced nail techniques they both ran for 12 weeks,you get 2 certs with vtct qualification. and at 31, at the time,i wasn`t the oldest either!!:)

hi jo-anne

thanks , was wondering how long the course would be, im trying to find out where my nearest training college would be and whether id have to wait til september to start training:)

nicky x

Nicky's nails said:
Forget what anyone else is doing, stay focused on what you would like to achieve for yourself in the industry and how you would feel most comfortable achieving it.

Nicky's nails said:
Forget the two day nail courses....they may teach you how to do nails but what about the follow up education, ie:rebalancing,nail bitters....etc. I would recommend that you book yourself onto a Creative Nail Foundation Course. The course will give you everything you need to get you on the road to a successful career.

Nicky's nails said:
Chuck out that chintz....lol. The course provides you with not only your education, training and kit but also a uniform, I believe. You wont need a wrist rest unless you go into someones house which is cold and you may want to use it then as a draft excluder. Otherwise no....

Nicky's nails said:
Believe in yourself from day one, take clients from day one and charge from day one. If you charge reduced rates then you will only ever produce reduced rate nails and who is going to determine when you put your prices up.....your client or you. Set a price that you think you are worth, your first set may be not that worth but it gives you something to work at and achieve and at the end of the day, you are doing this for a living, not for fun.

Nicky's nails said:
You can get insured straight away when you have passed your foundation course which means you can get paying clients from then. You will have enough in your kit to be able to do 30 sets of nails. The money you make you can put back into tweaking your skills by having 121 with an educator, furthering your education by becoming a Master and for your products.

Nicky's nails said:
I think a £1000 is an idealistic figure to look at to get you started. If you talk to an educator, they will help you with the extra little things you may need.
How much will you make in the first year.....? How long is a piece of string? You decide. Good Luck. David....

wow david

what can i say, you have answered everyone of my questions , thanks so much,

think im deffo edging towards creative, only reason i havent reached for phone and booked straight away is because im struggling to get models at the mo, because the course nearest to me is in manchester (bummer of a place to get to peak hour) im gonna struggle to get there without leaving my house 3 hours before to do half hour journey lol and cant find anyone who can spare that sort of time, either off work or who hasnt got kids to get to school lol, so might have to do another course just because of distance (arrrrgggghhhh) still working on it though lol

thanks again for your help

nicky x

actually nicky its in leigh which is a borough of manchester so its just down the east lancs for you dead easy to get to hth:)

oooh right, that helps a lot hun, thanks for that

Latest posts

Back