My first spray tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
I thought I would let you know how it went tonight for my first spray tanning guinea pig. I completed my training today with Nouvatan (who, by the way, were brilliant and we had a great time. loved it) and I came away feeling "yeah, I can do this!". well my first effort after my training has been a bit iffy to say the least.

I got my gun out (hvlp 5008) and attached some roll on the sides of the tent and sprayed them with warm water to get a feel for it and to see if my nozzle was set ok. it seemed fine with the water. so i got my guinea pig (lucky for me it was my cousin) and started with her back and did a few strokes down only to find that the nozzle was too far open and her back was saturated. i had to take the mit and try blending it. so i turned the nozzle down and carried on spraying. I thought I had done all of it and even after consulting my arty diagrams of stick men and arrows I still got it wrong. I had forgot under the arm pits and down her sides and then later when she was sat having a cup of tea, I noticed that the creases of her knee (as she is quite well built) were white! her legs must have been locked when i sprayed the front of them. so i think next time i must ask client to soften legs. i am a bit disappointed about her back as looking down on her shoulders there is a definite dark line where the solution came out really fast. I am just hoping that this is the guide colour and it will all even out in the morning. I have told her to text me the minute she gets out of the shower. I am using LA tan and I used a 10% on her. I found the guide colour to be really really dark and not sure if i still had my nozzle right as i seemed to manage much easier this afternoon at my training with the nouvatan. I know this is my first tan and i shouldnt beat myself up and it will take time to get the nozzle right but i really want to run before i can walk lol.

I am planning on having a few friends round on saturday for some freebie tans to practice on them.

does anyone know from the complete locking point on the spray gun, how many turns (roughly) should i have the screw at the back that adjusts the flow?

I am dreading her text tomorrow but have fingers crossed it will all work out in the wash (or hopefully go down the plughole as it was so dark her teeth almost looked flourescent lol!)

I thought I would let you know how it went tonight for my first spray tanning guinea pig. I completed my training today with Nouvatan (who, by the way, were brilliant and we had a great time. loved it) and I came away feeling "yeah, I can do this!". well my first effort after my training has been a bit iffy to say the least.

I got my gun out (hvlp 5008) and attached some roll on the sides of the tent and sprayed them with warm water to get a feel for it and to see if my nozzle was set ok. it seemed fine with the water. so i got my guinea pig (lucky for me it was my cousin) and started with her back and did a few strokes down only to find that the nozzle was too far open and her back was saturated. i had to take the mit and try blending it. so i turned the nozzle down and carried on spraying. I thought I had done all of it and even after consulting my arty diagrams of stick men and arrows I still got it wrong. I had forgot under the arm pits and down her sides and then later when she was sat having a cup of tea, I noticed that the creases of her knee (as she is quite well built) were white! her legs must have been locked when i sprayed the front of them. so i think next time i must ask client to soften legs. i am a bit disappointed about her back as looking down on her shoulders there is a definite dark line where the solution came out really fast. I am just hoping that this is the guide colour and it will all even out in the morning. I have told her to text me the minute she gets out of the shower. I am using LA tan and I used a 10% on her. I found the guide colour to be really really dark and not sure if i still had my nozzle right as i seemed to manage much easier this afternoon at my training with the nouvatan. I know this is my first tan and i shouldnt beat myself up and it will take time to get the nozzle right but i really want to run before i can walk lol.

I am planning on having a few friends round on saturday for some freebie tans to practice on them.

does anyone know from the complete locking point on the spray gun, how many turns (roughly) should i have the screw at the back that adjusts the flow?

I am dreading her text tomorrow but have fingers crossed it will all work out in the wash (or hopefully go down the plughole as it was so dark her teeth almost looked flourescent lol!)

Hi Sweetie,

All I would say is

DON'T PANIC!

We have all been there, when we first started. When you get going you will look back and laught at this. I am not up to speed on your machine as I use a mini mist and have done so for so many years now, but even so I was trained to turn the gun to literally closed then open every so slightly until you had a nice colour on your couch roll, when testing. I would also say less is more, it is easier to go over again ( experience will determine this) than it is to have to take off, dry and blend overspray. Aslo mark if you can, your screw on the back with a dob of nail varnish(bright) and the gun and this will tell you where it is right for you to set it. Also remember not all solutions are the same consistency, some are thicker and some are more watery then others and this again will determine how you set your gun!

With regards to spraying the body. Again practise practise practise. I know my routine, inside out and could do it in my sleep, that is only to do with time. I always get my clients to soften their knees, to make sure they are not left with any white lines after development, also to slightly bend from the bottom, when I am spraying their back legs especially when someone is going on holiday, as big white line under the bottom is not good on the beach(but always ask the client if they feel comfortable with this first). I wrote all these little things down in my note book. I have used LA tan and their 10% guide is dark, but it does develope into a lovely colour, I have to say I like their Gold if they still do it.

Be confident, and go slowly. I know it is easy to get it done, but when you are practising people will understand if you wnat to read your notes. Most of all have fun and enjoy.

Let me know how you get on!

Dawn:D

Well done for getting stuck straight in. Everyones first tan has something go wrong lol, I absolutely drenched my mother in law when I did her tan the day after my training lol.

For the HVLP5008 I usually close it fully and then open it about 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn. This is using the Nouvatan solution. Your solution may have a slightly different consistancy so you could try at this position and adjust it if required. Always test it on couch roll before spraying onto someone as well. The couch roll should have good colour, but not be wet.
These things really are just approximate, as you set you gun depending on speed etc. Just keep testing it on couch roll until you feel you have it about right and then have another go on someone. You should use approx. 50mls of solution if you have your gun set correctly.

Hope this helps xxx

Hi Sweetie,

All I would say is

DON'T PANIC!

We have all been there, when we first started. When you get going you will look back and laught at this. I am not up to speed on your machine as I use a mini mist and have done so for so many years now, but even so I was trained to turn the gun to literally closed then open every so slightly until you had a nice colour on your couch roll, when testing. I would also say less is more, it is easier to go over again ( experience will determine this) than it is to have to take off, dry and blend overspray. Aslo mark if you can, your screw on the back with a dob of nail varnish(bright) and the gun and this will tell you where it is right for you to set it. Also remember not all solutions are the same consistency, some are thicker and some are more watery then others and this again will determine how you set your gun!

With regards to spraying the body. Again practise practise practise. I know my routine, inside out and could do it in my sleep, that is only to do with time. I always get my clients to soften their knees, to make sure they are not left with any white lines after development, also to slightly bend from the bottom, when I am spraying their back legs especially when someone is going on holiday, as big white line under the bottom is not good on the beach(but always ask the client if they feel comfortable with this first). I wrote all these little things down in my note book. I have used LA tan and their 10% guide is dark, but it does develope into a lovely colour, I have to say I like their Gold if they still do it.

Be confident, and go slowly. I know it is easy to get it done, but when you are practising people will understand if you wnat to read your notes. Most of all have fun and enjoy.

Let me know how you get on!

Dawn:D

Also forgot to say, the company that trained you are there for support, don't ever feel that you can't go back and ask questions about anything. Training is a compact day and there its lots to take in. You are not going to remember everything your first time and also the trainers have been doing this for a long time and make it look very easy. You will find in time that it will all fall into place.

x

with our solution its as jenx said all the way in and about 1/3 of a turn out I have never used LA tans solution but i have heard that the solution is runnier than ours and that it has a very dark guide colour, i would tighten the gun up completely and just undo it a 1/4 of a turn to start any problems give dawn a bell and she will talk you through it, we always here to help,

hello i have no advice to offer as my training is only on monday but just wanted to say well done for giving it a go and being brave! :D

x

i close my gun right up, then open a teeny bit, try it on couch roll, and keep going til i get it right. there is two of us using the gun and my bt likes to spray a bit wetter than me so its very useful to check !!!

As most people have said well done for getting straight out there! I trained in february and am still tweaking now!

I started off using LA Tan but as you know it is very dark in guide colour, double dipped. I wasnt aware of this and a lot of people were complaining that their tan washed off! I had to make sure that people were aware that it was the guide colour and not their tan! I have since changed to Sienna X and find this a lot better but you cannot beat LA for the starter deals!

Maybe try a few different lotions and see what you feel comfortable with spraying, thats what I did in the end and it helped me no end! Everyone gets their own way of spraying in the end and I consulted geeks on here and fellow sprayers for different techniques and tryed them all and got my own style from mixing them all!

Watch the videos that are on you tube, they alsoo really helped me. Like Dawn said I now could do mine in my sleep but its taken me a while to get to where I am happy!

When I first started after the guinea pigs I offered people tans for half price and made sure that they were aware I was learning, that way if you want to keep notes by your side then they are more accepting. People really took advantage of this deal and I got some regulars from this.

As for the knees, after you have sprayed the legs turn your gun to horizontal, get the client to bend the knees slightly and do a light horizontal mist over the knees, gets rid of any probs.

Please feel free to PM should you want any more support, I did this with others and we have a really good little support network now.

HTH and good luck!:D

thank you all for your replies and words of encouragement. I have spoke to my cousin this morning who said apart from a few streaks:o, and her shins being lighter (i did get on my hands and knees to do this area but I think because I had to do her knees again to colour in the white, it probably makes her shins look different colour) she said it was a fab first attempt and she was really pleased with it. I will be seeing her tonight so will be able to inspect for myself. I have lined up an open house on saturday between 11 and 2 and invited my friends to come for a spray tan ( i have given them times, do not want them all coming at once) it will be good practice.

with regards to the gun.......when you say a quarter turn? I think I have got mine 2 full turns open, so no wonder they got soaked:D

Training was fantastic! couldnt fault it! I wanted to bring Dawn home with me:D, maybe next time haha

I have had and trained dozens of technicians on the 5008 and each machine is slightly different as are solutions and their throughput. So, what you need to do is close your solution screw adjuster to closed and open up to about a quarter turn, test on couch roll. If the solution is going through one ply of the roll through to the second ply it is too wet. turn your solution flow adjuster back towards closed a bit at a time until you get your optimum spray setting.

You then need to mark both the screw and your machine at this setting with a little blob of varnish so that even when you open up that adjuster to flush out at the end of the day you know where your best setting is by lining up the two varnish markings.

well I thought as I had already told you about spray number 1 it is only fair to bore you with spray no 2 lol.

i felt I did a better job this time. I have turned my gun right down so it is only open about 1/3 of a turn from closed. The problems I have seem to be with the arms. I just cant seeem to position them so that i get all parts of the arm done. my second tan i missed the outside of the arm, from the elbow to the front of hand. it is obviosuly the way they hold the arm when i am spraying. Ihave looked on countless youtube videos and done searches for positions to see where i am going wrong but it is proably just giong to be trial and error and i just look with the eye to see where i have missed and spray it, which isnt ideal but until i figure out how i am missing bits, i can t really see a solution. I will get it eventually, I am sure it will just click, i am just inpatient.

I did 8 guinea pigs today with my hvlp5008 machine and my la tanning solution. my first guinea pig said her skin felt a bit dry and for the first day she was itchy (but bearing in mind I saturated her with the stuff with my nozzle 2 whole turns open). my second model said that she was itchy today (I did her 2 days ago).

I will see how my reports come back tomorrow. I dont think I will stay with this solution. After having a fake bake spray tan 2 weeks ago for the wedding and seeing how the la tanning stuff goes on is very similar. Now I did my nouvatan trainng on Wednesday and was sprayed with their solution and I have to say it is the best tan I have ever had. I love it. It just looks so natural and even after 3 days of not moisturising at all, it looks as good as it did on Thursday! I dont want to waste the stuff I have so will use it for practice but think I will be looking at different solutions. I have found with the guide tan on the la stuff that the 8% hardly has a guide colour and the 10% is like gravy it is so dark when sprayed. havent had the courage to try 12% yet, I am bit frightened of it. also I found after 8 tans that my kitchen floor and surfaces all had a layer of tan so I am a bit wary of doing spray tan parties if they are going to leave a mist behind. does anyone else find this?

Have a look at my profile pictures i have put some pics on there of correct positions for the client to stand when spraying arms and hands hope this helps :D
if you get the right solution LOL and your gun set correctly there is very little overspray as you would of seen on thursday ours is a little thicker and kinder on the skin than others its organic based it contains aloe vera and is enriched with vitamin A,B5 & E hence no drying of the skin or itchiness and as you said yourself the best tan you have ever had,
we do loads of tan training demos ect and dont use an extractor we have got them but theres no need as the overspray is minimal and is contained within the booth,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back