MY Story! Don't get conned with bogus training.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigi

Reaction score
I have asked if i could post this thread up. I want to let new techs/ old techs and aspiring techs about what has happened to me and to ask you to think twice before handing out your money. your reputation could be at risk!

"Last October 2008 I decided to follow my dream and train as a nail tech and beauty therapist. I was eligible for some funding and we found the rest to put me through all the courses I wanted to take.

After asking a few friends who were techs, I decided to go with Creative. I'd heard great things about their training.

I googled Creative Manchester and a place came up, I rang, asked them if they did Creative and signed up.

I began the course. The first two hours consisted of the tutor telling us all about how wonderful entity was.. Now, I just thought entity was a brand name of Creative (I didn't know better) I had no reason to question this. Creative Academy was on the door on a brass plaque. Creative pictures on the walls, and Creative hand gel in the loo.

But, after a few days I realised that entity and Creative were two different things. I questioned them and they said many things: entity was superior, no bubbles, no hassles and Creative was old , the products had not moved forward in 15 years, and that all the Creative techs were now using entity, Creative had no future and was on the brink of collapse.

I was not happy, I wanted to be trained as a Creative tech. I pushed, and was offered a Creative Conversion Certificate. Well, I decided to take it and get on with things.

I recently posted a question here on the site about Creative and the way I had written it alerted Gigi (geeg) to something that was wrong.
Further discussions with Gigi and Samantha, from Sweet Squared made me realise something, my Creative certificate was a FAKE. The person running this place in Manchester WAS previously involved with Creative but had left the company and had no right to be giving out Creative certificates.

I was besides myself. When you speak the lady in question, she says she has every right to hand them out. BUT when on speaking to Creative I realise that only Creative themselves can award Creative Certificates and therefore they explained the certificate I was given was worthless . My funding and cash was spent on something that was not genuine.

I was so devastated, and at the moment there is a gap on my wall were my beloved certificate was. I cant tell you how much it hurt to do take it down.
However, the great news is that Samantha at Sweet Squared, has come to my rescue. CND/Sweet Squared have bent over backward for me. I will be forever grateful for their generosity, kindness and help.

On July 2nd I will officially join the ranks of CND nail techs. I go to Leeds to learn Creative.

I wondered if this story sounds like something that may have happened to you OR to someone you know? DO you really know who you trained with? do you think you can spot a con? What about other training? Do you know that it is genuine? DO you know how to find out? DO you know what to do if you suspect that you hav ebeen conned?

I am 40 this year. I am not green around the gills, but I entered into this and got caught. PLEASE DON'T LET THIS BE YOU or someone you know, spread the word about this.

Sweet Squared and CND have come to my rescue and without them I don't know what I would be doing right now. It's rare these days to find a company that is willing to put themselves out for a little fish, but Sweet Squared have done that for me.

im really pleased its all working out for you, and really pleased to be hearing more good things about sweet squared! im looking also to do a conversion class with them as been advised on here! just waiting on some info thru the post on dates and prices etc!
soooo much looking forward to it just want to book my place now! maybe see you there! lol!x

Oh that would be great to meet you! keeping my fingers crossed that you may be there at the same time, otherwise, let me know when you are going and Ill fill you in on how it went! I am sure though that it will go great! xxxxxxxxx

yeh i'll definatly let you know. hopeing it will arrive monday or tues. so hopefully will be booked by the end of next week!!!. eek soooo exciting!!x

This has happened to quite a few people in the last year or so and it nearly always happens to be at this training venue (shame you cant really give its name on here)
it has happened at other venues too, and probably a lot more that we don't ever hear about,

have you contacted the place who provided your funding, maybe they would like to pursue the fact that they falsely took the money from the funders for false creative training :evil: (and take them to court on your behalf for fraud)

this is one of the reasons why when anyone asks about creative training that i always give the head office number out, this way the staff there can direct them to their nearest true creative educator :hug:

Sweet Squared save the day again :hug:

Last edited by a moderator:
CND/Sweet Squared saved the day for me too..Same academy had given me false info..Great thread tho:) very informative..

Last edited:
Tigi, I am so glad you were able to get it sorted :). I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that you are in the UK and have the fabulous S2 to assist. I'm a bit jealous out here in the Antipodes to be honest.

I did want to add to your post and state this as well, and this is relative to New Zealand and only from my experience, so your mileage may vary.

Just because you have trained with an Authorised Trainer in your preferred system (I'm not naming names, but those who know do, and those who don't well, just read on)....doesn't necessarily mean that you will gain the qualification or learn the skills/information that you expect you would.

In any scenario when you are looking for training or conversion or refresher course (such as I was) you need to be very careful to choose wisely with whom you seek and receive your training. Just because someone is certified with a certain manufacturer *does not*mean you will get quality for your money.

But how to solve this dilemma? Basically, it goes like this.....with what I know NOW, here in NZ (this is relative to NZ but may apply elsewhere) I would first contact the head office of the company you wish to train with (ie. Creative, EZ Flow, IBD, Young Nails) in the country you live. If they do NOT have an office in the country where you reside call the corporate office and get a recommendation from THEM.

With that information in hand, do your research, talk to people (such as here on Salon Geek), local nail techs, beauty colleges BEFORE YOU SIGN UP FOR ANYTHING.

And when you sign up and take your training, don't be a lemming and sit there and not ask questions. ASK THE QUESTIONS, DEMAND THE ANSWERS. If they dont' have the answers, you have your contacts in the corporate office to go back to with your issues.

In my case, I was refreshing skills I had already learned so I knew right away something was amiss, but I didn't know (or seek, my bad) that there was recourse. I was angry I didn't get my certificate of completion but it ANGERED me more that these people were allowed to train people, who didn't have a clue, because the clueless trainees were not getting QUALITY training and then were being sent out to wreak havoc wherever and whenever.

Its not the manufacturer, per se, that is to blame though. And trust me when I say that my experience hasn't turned me of the brand, cos it hasn't.

You are paying good hard earned cash, and your own blood sweat and tears to do this, and you have every right to get out of your training/education what you put into it.

Its up to YOU to do the research and query and get references for the trainer that you finally choose. Learn from my mistake and go forth with knowledge as it is power.

That is all :)

Nancy

It is a great shame that this happened to Tigi but she will be all sorted out very soon. :hug:

Thank God (and our great CND Ambassadors) that those in the UK get the best quality training from each and every one of the CND educators. no matter in which area you live.

There are several people who know they made very bad decisions who are still luring unsuspecting students to their door with the name Creative only to then offer them different training with a different product. Very dishonest.

There are several people who try to sell Creative products that they've got from goodness knows where to the unsuspecting and unknowing and claim to be genuine CND distributors ... usually the product is old or out of date or just illegally purchased or even stolen goods. As loubylou mentioned above ... all this activity is coming from those who want to use the Creative name to get folks through the door only to offer them something else instead.

Just make sure you go through Sweet Squared the official UK distributor for CND or one of their trusted associates in your area ... which can be determined if you need to by just giving S2 a call 08452106060.

Last edited:
I say, good on you "S2", you are true professionals:)

We need S2 to set up a NZ branch office methinks. :)

Well done S2! Hope you can bring the full force of the law down on the dodgy trainer in Manchester!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry sweetie that you got ripped off:hug:. Companies like this really NAFF ME OFF. how dare they take your cash & your trust and willingly con you. I unfortunatly paid to do a foundation couse 2 years ago with a rubbish companie & its caused me nothing but problems & because of this I very nealy gave up. They offered no after care or support after the 2 day course & just printed me off a certificate on the second day. But when I needed them for exta support they just told me to book on another foundation course with them:eek:. thankfully this companie is now closed but now I have to pay to learn correctly with 121 sessions with an educator. Im glad that S2 is goining to sort things out for you & I wish you luck for the future.

I have recently become aware of this....and it sucks big time...

Well done for the post Tigi....you never know it might just ring some bells amongst some people who visit this site and they figure out just who you are talking about....and prevent them from conning further folk....

You are in good hands now though....and you will be a CND tech very soon with your lovely, genuine certificate to hang on the wall xxxxx

She can diss creative all she wants but this thread just proves how professional, kind, caring and honest Creative actually are.

So shame on her.

And good on you xxxxxx

She can diss creative all she wants but this thread just proves how professional, kind, caring and honest Creative actually are.

So shame on her.

And good on you xxxxxx

The only time anyone would dis a product like CND would be if they were frightened of it as it competed with their business. Well there is no competition between the 2 products.

You must have noticed as it is a plain as the nose on your face :green: how for some odd reason it narks others to hear CND praised ,if they themselves don't use the products. So so silly. They seem to take it as personal criticism if they decide to use something else and then make jibes at every opportunity to those who use it and love it. No other product that I know of elicits such comments.

To my way of thinking I'm just sorry when I hear of people having issues of yellowing and brittleness and product breakdown, pocket lifting and other things which are often present because of the quality of the products used and they don't even realize it and wonder what THEY are doing wrong to get these problems. I know they would not have these issues with CND.

Another is PREP ... I see folks using so many different products to prep nails and then primer etc etc and I THINK .. DO THEY KNOW THAT they don't have to do that with CND? They could actually spend less money and time and effort if they used it. THAT is why techs love it and are so passionate about the brand ... their clients love their techs for using it. Clients that love their techs are loyal clients. Wouldn't you want to pass that info onto others if you knew something they didn't know? :idea:

All I know is that if someone was unprofessional enough to dis a product to me in a class to get me to buy theirs .. it would make me want to go right on out there and get some of whatever they were afraid of and try it!! But I'm like that AND I do understand human nature quite well. :)

Last edited:
Hi Tigi,
I do remember just before you started this course, that I said I was concerned about where you were training, we even pm'd each other after your 1st day, I do remember you said you had spoken with the lady and that you would get your Creative certificate. I already knew they were selling Entity, That was why I questioned your training.
The reason I was suspect, was I went there to do PopIts training..Geeg was there that day, had fantastic day.
They set me an account up when I was there, so when near again on a day out with my Mum, I called in, thinking I would buy some creative monomers and powders to try....they gave me the impression that by holding an account with them I could buy creative L&P.
It was still on the shelves, BUT the girl selling in there told ME no you don't want Creative, this is the newest thing out, and Creative is old and no one wants it........duh so dopey me who at that time knew no better, bought Entity liquid and 3 smallest size powders and primer. Still have them, use them to practice on tips when I am bored, to keep practicing my smile lines. I am not saying it is no good, but it was the way it was sold to me. I wouldn't buy it again.
I contacted S2.......and told them what had happened, I was told that they were no longer Creative trainers and not allowed to sell Creative L&P, S2 lady was wonderful, opened me a S2 account, forwarded al my certs, But was told NO to L&P until a did the conversion. Fair enough, I was at "THE EVENT" that was counted as my conversion.
I am devastated that you have been treated so badly. How many more ????
S2 are just fantastic.....My original training was with NSI Manchester, again I have to tell you all they too are very good.
I was lucky......Now you will be looked after properly. Thanks to S2.
Lotsa luv hun x x x :hug: :hug: :hug: x x x

I have contacted my funders, they are investigating. I just wanted to raise this issue with others. I am hoping that this thread will stop just one person from having this happen to.

I am a lucky one, Sweet Squared have stepped in and given me an opportunity that frankly has blown me away . ( and I might just might get to meet Geeg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I ll probably stand there and do that insane blabbing i do when I am overwhelmed by someone. I met David Beckham once, I practised what I would say for three weeks of practising, and guess what dross i came out with as he shook my hand???? " You have shiny hair" .............dear god what a turnip!

tigi xxxxxxxx

This company in Manchester is clearly misleading people and taking there Money if I was you I would demand my money back and let them know just how you feel about them.
Glad to hear s2 are helping out :hug:

I have contacted my funders, they are investigating. I just wanted to raise this issue with others. I am hoping that this thread will stop just one person from having this happen to.

I am a lucky one, Sweet Squared have stepped in and given me an opportunity that frankly has blown me away . ( and I might just might get to meet Geeg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I ll probably stand there and do that insane blabbing i do when I am overwhelmed by someone. I met David Beckham once, I practised what I would say for three weeks of practising, and guess what dross i came out with as he shook my hand???? " You have shiny hair" .............dear god what a turnip!

tigi xxxxxxxx

Somehow I don't think I have quite the same charisma as David .. nor the body nor the right hormones!!! :lol:

Ha, well I will try not to say anything too nerdy, but i cant promise it! HA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back