nail polish on children

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makova06

Reaction score
Has anyone heard that it can be dangerous to put nail polish on children as thair nails are so thin that they absorbe the chemicals? It was something my mom read in a newspaper once.

Has anyone heard that it can be dangerous to put nail polish on children as thair nails are so thin that they absorbe the chemicals? It was something my mom read in a newspaper once.

I dont like nail polish on small children, but thats the first iv heard of it being dangerous!

TBH I would imagine this was a load of tittle tattle,when we think how long kiddies have worn polish for,I for one and my daughter,no harm came of us or anyone else I know,for that matter.Where wil it all stop??:eek:

My little girl is 3 and loves to have her nails polished just like me! Its done her no harm and tbh doesnt last that long on her, as soon as it chips I remove it!
I wore it when I was small and Im still fighting fit!

I tell you what, I'm glad I'm not a kid in this day and age. They're not allowed to do anything. Whatever happened to having fun?:rolleyes: Oh that's right! It's dangerous.

I use nubar nail enamel on children , they are free from formaldehyde, but i wore nail enamel as a child and they were probably worse then, i guess its a worry when you here things like that.:)

Well I wore polish as a kid and look how normal I've turned out:green:

Let children be children, that's what I say .... society is all too keen for them to grow up too soon IMO.

I do think this subject is worth keeping an eye on. There have been experiments where lab animals have got cancer from phthalates and there have been male fertility issues. Some groups also recommend women of child bearing age to avoid phthalates as they can cause birth defects. Apparently some of these chemicals have been found in umbilical cords of newborn babies. It has also been said that inhaling these chemicals can cause breathing problems as well as the risk of absorbing into the body through direct contact. BUT nail polish is not the only thing that contains these chemicals.

Now there is always something out there thats 'bad' for you and we don't know how reliable all this info is but I do play it safe and use only The Edge and Nubar in my studio. These are both toluene, formaldahyde and phthalate free and they are fine to work with.

I'm off to find out more!

Siana

ITEC qualified Manicure, Pedicure and Waxing

Well I wore polish as a kid and look how normal I've turned out:green:

Well there's a reason for banning kids wearing polish if ever I heard one!:lol:

Well done typing while wearing your special jacket with the long arms, Adele.:green:

My little girl is also 3 and absolutely loves the one on one time I have with her when I paint her nails. I do try to ensure that I use remover that doesn't have acetone in it, but like a previous comment it is normally chipped off after a day of wear.

I did the same with my mum when I was little too. In fact that is probably why I have always taken care of my nails, never been a nail bitter, even as a small kid, lol.

I don't have a problem with my daughters wearing polish, only my youngest always says her fingers/nails itch as soon as I put it on:eek::eek:

:hug:
Yes, i think you are right, it is not suitable and good for children to polish nail...but still now i have seen many parents feel like do so...:irked:

i polish my nieces nails all the time...she's 5 now but we started right away...i just polished my 2 month old nieces toes the other day it was so cute...i don't like to polish their fingers cause they put them in their mouths so we just do toes

2 months? Can i ask why?

for me its a personal thing.. I dont allow my children to wear nail polish except in school holiday's.
1.. because they are not allowed to wear it to school 2.. because if i allowed it they would use every single colour decal dooflacky i have.. and 3.. because they grow up so fast anyway so i want them to not have to worry about makeup, fashion and stuff like that for the time being...

First week of the holidays we have a session where they can dress up and play with all my stuff (yea right.. but they dont know!) and i do nail art on them..

seriously, kids should be kids and little girls love to be pretty so there is no harm, just my choice to make it special and not something that they take for granted..

my 9 yr old knows when she is 16 she and i will go crazy!!

cause it's cute :)

My little girl likes to have her nails painted and to be honest so does her twin brother!
They are 4 but i only tend to do it if she is going to a party and she had them painted a couple of times while we were on holiday.
I wouldn't paint a babies nails though, to me babies are pure and don't need us to intefere with them in any way no matter how cute, i would even put gel in their hair or have ear studs put in!
I agree with a few comments that in this day and age our kids can't do anything without it being classed as dangerous or politically incorrect or health and saftey having something to say about it.
What a shame eh. :rolleyes:

I had polished my daughter nails when she was little and the boys to.....( although theirs was only on one finger :rolleyes: ) no harm came from it ....I think now peeps are to paranoid with things

Can't do this it ....causes cancer
Don't eat germs .....you'll get sick
Don't go out side..... allergies ...

What the heck happened to live and learn.....or kids being kids?......When I was young I did so many things that are considered bad for you......and now I'm grown...I'm a happy, healthy, getting old person

I have a 7 year old daughter and since she was about 1 and 1/2 she has wanted her nails painted, and I have always painted them for her, I have "special" nail polish just for her in my kit, they are all light/pastal colours she also wears some glitter and decals, her school has never complained about her nails being painted. Also she has never had any problems at all from them being painted. If anything she has learnt good hand and nail hygine, she always cleans under her nails if they are dirty. I think it has been a good thing for her.

Latest posts

Back