Natural Nails keep Splitting but I don't know why... Any ideas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKRed

Reaction score
I regularly manicure and polish my mum’s nails, but she complains that her nails are splitting. They are quite strong but they are ridged and sometimes curve over and become flexible.

I have tried allsorts of things like nail hardener, ridge filler and just regular manicures.. But I can’t seem to fix the problem.

She only put her sock on the other day and somehow caught the nail and part of the top layer split.

I don’t understand what is wrong unless its just because she is 62 years old and it’s the aging process.

I am clueless as to what to do next, as I am only a trainee I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys… the professionals.

Sorry to be a pain and Thanks for any help… x

what grit file are you/she using to file the natural free edge?

I regularly manicure and polish my mum’s nails, but she complains that her nails are splitting. They are quite strong but they are ridged and sometimes curve over and become flexible.

I have tried allsorts of things like nail hardener, ridge filler and just regular manicures.. But I can’t seem to fix the problem.

She only put her sock on the other day and somehow caught the nail and part of the top layer split.

I don’t understand what is wrong unless its just because she is 62 years old and it’s the aging process.

I am clueless as to what to do next, as I am only a trainee I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys… the professionals.

Sorry to be a pain and Thanks for any help… x
I had lovely long talons (natural) until I was 48 then my ring finger started splitting - always in the same place, then other nails started flaking and peeling. They are now very thin and curve and buckle all the time, which is why I wear Brisa enhancements.

Many of my older clients are in the same boat and lots have ridging - sadly I think it is an age thing.

Some elect to just have manicures with toughen up and use lots of solar oil, with limited success and some wear enhancements which is the only way IMO to keep a reasonable length of nail once this has started.
HTH

what grit file are you/she using to file the natural free edge?

100/150, I dont use a very heavy one, could I be using the wrong one?

EDIT - I use 240. I typed the wrong number as I was thinking of fibreglass and my head is in another world... sorry :o

Last edited:
I had lovely long talons (natural) until I was 48 then my ring finger started splitting - always in the same place, then other nails started flaking and peeling. They are now very thin and curve and buckle all the time, which is why I wear Brisa enhancements.

Many of my older clients are in the same boat and lots have ridging - sadly I think it is an age thing.

Some elect to just have manicures with toughen up and use lots of solar oil, with limited success and some wear enhancements which is the only way IMO to keep a reasonable length of nail once this has started.
HTH

Sounds like it's due to age then, I keep asking her if she wants to try a set of fibreglass nails (the only system im training in) but she doesn't seem to want them

100/150, I dont use a very heavy one, could I be using the wrong one?
You shouldn't be using anything coarser than 240 grit on the natural nail sweetie.
Were you not taught this as part of your training ?

Yes hun a 240 grit on the natural nail,
Plenty of oil..( Solar oil if possible...but any professional oil is better than nothing)
This will keep her nails flexible and nourished,
she needs to apply it a few times a day religiously !

Can I also ask babe, what Nail hardener are you using ?

You shouldn't be using anything coarser than 240 grit on the natural nail sweetie.
Were you not taught this as part of your training ?

Sorry I meant to put 240 :o:o:o, my brain is in another world tonight

Yes hun a 240 grit on the natural nail,
Plenty of oil..( Solar oil if possible...but any professional oil is better than nothing)
This will keep her nails flexible and nourished,
she needs to apply it a few times a day religiously !

Can I also ask babe, what Nail hardener are you using ?

Sorry I do use 240, I feel quite embarrassed that i got the numbers the wrong way around :o:o:o

Where can I get Solar Oil? I haven't got a lot of this kind of stuff as we were given kits and not told about things like solar oil!

Oh hun:hug: i think your shredding the nail with the grit your using!

Try a less harsh grit...the lower the grit ie 80/100/180 the more FIERCE the file.

A 240 grit would be more than adequate!

Also.....loads of oiling would help to keep the nail nourished and flexible

Amb xxxx

sorry im way too slow at replying !

Solar oil is a creative nail design product - the best on the market - but ANY type of oiling is better than nothing !

AMb x

sorry im way too slow at replying !

Solar oil is a creative nail design product - the best on the market - but ANY type of oiling is better than nothing !

AMb x

Is it the same sort of stuff as cuticle oil? because I have 'the edge' cuticle oil in my fibreglass kit which i have used on her nails before

Is it the same sort of stuff as cuticle oil? because I have 'the edge' cuticle oil in my fibreglass kit which i have used on her nails before

hello chicken

not familiar with the edge but yes any type of cuticle oil would do the trick.

As i say solar oil is the MUTS NUTS and has won many awards to confirm this !

But yes 'prescribe' cuticle oil twice a day, and see if you/she notice's any difference.

Also are you 'bevelling' the free edge?

amb x

She really needs to be applying an oil daily herself too...a few times daily ...

You can get solar oil from sweet squared it is a CND product and is FAB ..
I have a reformed nail biter who calls it "gold in liquid form" lol
I cant find the number it keeps disappearing from all the posts lol,

You could contact mrs geek or Gmg ,
They will be able to help hunny xxx

hello chicken

not familiar with the edge but yes any type of cuticle oil would do the trick.

As i say solar oil is the MUTS NUTS and has won many awards to confirm this !

But yes 'prescribe' cuticle oil twice a day, and see if you/she notice's any difference.

Also are you 'bevelling' the free edge?

amb x

I bevel when there is 'ragged' edges. Should I do it all the time? or not at all?
I told her to use hand and nail moisuriser 2x daily and will get her to use cuticle oil.

I was going to make her a little 'kit' up of things for her nails for her birthday.. I might get some solar oil for that (if they do it in small 'handy' sizes?) - Is that stuff for 'aged' nails any good? I think its by sally hansen... £6 a bottle

just a suggestion which may possibly help, but my mum takes daily vitiman and mineral tablets designed to promote healthier, stronger nails, hair and bones and she says it has made a big difference to her weak and flaky nails so maybe recommend this to your mum possibly?

Also... ever since buying my first bottle of solar oil from Creative Nail design, i wont use ANYTHING else! i love the stuff and use it all the time and have noticed a big improvment in my nail and skin condition (i use the solar oil hand cream and lotion aswell!).. plus it smells devine!

HTH

Lau x

Menopause can affect our nails big time!! It can cause verticle ridges and splitting... not much that can be done about it... except lots of solar oil or enhancements.

Using nail strengtheners probably wont help as they contain large amounts of formaldhyde if the nails are slightly brittle or flaking it will only make them worse, the nail needs to be nurished try using a less abrasive grit file get a 3 way buffer (be careful not to over buff and always in the direction of the nail growth) then apply a good quality professional cuticle oil solar oil is great as is nsi nurture oil but any good oil will contain 2 must have ingrediants Jojoba and vitamin E. x good luck!!

Awesome, I will definately look into getting some solar oil. Also I will suggest the vitamins to her. Thanks for all your advice even though I am braindead sometimes lol xx

Latest posts

Back