Need some advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdidi

Reaction score
Hi all. I am hoping someone will be able to give me some advice a bout a problem I have with my employer. This may be a long read.
I've recently qualified with a CIDESCO diploma and started working in a salon near me about 4 weeks ago. When I went for the interview I was offered the job on the spot and started working 2 days later. The boss explained to me the hours I'd be working and the pay I would be getting. She also told me that she will send me on Elemis training as the salon uses their products. Anyways 3 days before I was due to go on training (the training was done last week) she told me that she wouldn't pay me salary or travel costs for that week as she said that she was paying for my training. I wasn't happy with her decision as she never told me at the interview stage about this. I spoke to her the following day and explained that if she's not going to pay me then I didn't want to go. Later on that day she asked to speak to me and explained that as she has just opened up her business she couldn't really afford to pay me salary for that week and that I should be grateful that she is sending me on this training. I told her that if she wanted me to do something which is going to benefit her salon that she needs to pay me salary as I didn't understand why I should be out of pocket. She offered to pay me half the weeks salary, to which I added that if she paid for my travel card for the week then I will be happy with that.She told me to keep the receipt for the travel card and give it to her when I came back. So I went off last week down to Elemis in Mayfair, did the training and the test and came back on Friday with my certificate. She was happy that I'd passed and told me that I could then train her and the other therapist now.
Went into work on Saturday and towards the end of the day gave her the travel card along with the receipt. She then turned around and said that she isn't going to pay me for the travel costs as she said that she never agreed to this. I reminded her of our conversation and that I wasn't willing to go on this training unless she paid for the travel costs as well. She just turned around and said that I should be grateful that I have a certificate in Elemis training and that it will be beneficial for me as I will be able to put that on my CV. I told her that I had enough certificates on my CV and that this training was done to benefit her salon. I explained that all the other girls that were with me on training that week had their full salary paid plus their travel costs. She turned around and said that they probably come from bigger salons and spas and that their employers could afford to pay them.
I am in a dilemma as what do now. Do I leave and get a job in a more professional salon or do i stay there and just keep quiet. She also pays me and the other therapist cash in hand as she said she hasn't got a payroll system in place, and has not confirmed to us as for how long this would go on for. I am new to this business and not really sure if all of this is standard practice or whether she is just taking advantage.
I would really appreciate any advice given here.
Thanks

Hi hun!

I am not a legal genius or an employment law expert but i am quite sure that what she is doing is not legal.The fact that she is paying for your training does not mean that she does not have to pay you or your travel expenses. I would advice you to contact ACAS and check it out.

If i was you i would leave her asap because she is a chancer!

She is paying cash in hand because she does not want to pay national insurance contributions or tax, and that is definetly not legal.

I doubt very much that thing will ever improve you know the saying: "Start as you mean to go on".

Hun, you are worth way more than that.:hug:

I think you are so brave to stand your ground when she is clearly lying to your face! Well done! Do you have a contract? do you have to pay the training back? Take your Elemis cert and run - this one is not going to pay your travel as she is not paying your tax getting herself and yourself in trouble.
I dont think she is wholly wrong as sometimes I would pay half for a training course as the cert benefits both but to not do what she agreed is pathetic.
Its upto you but my advice is to get a better job where your boss is legit as if you let her away with it then she'll always get away with it - oh and how can you show them what you have learnt? Elemis would go mad:eek: Your lucky she didnt ask you to show her then let you go!

I would leave too. As has been said, she shoould pay all costs relating to the course she wants you to do as it will enhance her salon, and if she is paying cash in hand, she won't be paying your tax or N.I contributions, so, who is?

I had this problem which only came to light recently when I was made redundant. I worked in a small shop (not beauty related) back in 2005. It wasn't until I was made redundant in my last job (again, not beauty related) and had to claim JSA that I found out. Because I had been paid cash in hand (instead of signing on, thought I was doing me and the state a favour) I hadn't paid enough contributions in that period, so I was unable to claim any money at all!

Great huh!?

Hope you get it sorted one way or the other hun, here's a :hug: to be going on with. xx

Thanks for your advice. No I don't have a contract. I've given her copies of my NI number and my passport along with copies of my certificates, but she hasn't yet mentioned when she will give me a contract. The whole situation seems very unprofessional to me and I have been so stressed out that I have been ill for the past 2 days. Her dad is an accountant and he does all her book keeping, so not sure if she has covered her back somehow with this cash in hand business.

Whilst I was on training I enquired as to whether a beauty therapist would be able to carry out their treatments without having the training and they said absolutely no way. The other girl that works there part time has been doing their facials and body treatments for the past few months, but she's only ever been shown how to do them by the previous therapist that was there.

Hi all

Just thought I'd mention that I have left her and am now jobless, but hopefully not for long.
She didn't even care that I was leaving, so am very glad I made the decision to look for another job.

Hi all

Just thought I'd mention that I have left her and am now jobless, but hopefully not for long.
She didn't even care that I was leaving, so am very glad I made the decision to look for another job.

you done the right thing leaving straight away, i was working in a big west end salon and getting paid cash in hand and never getting any payslips, i didnt think anything of it at first being a quite new therapist and I had given my paye form to the owner and everything. a year down the line i started having major problems with him, and then found out he was paying different people a lot more then me and some others to make our life a misery (long story, a lot of bullying going on to me and some other therapists by him and the higher paid girls) anyway once i left i had trouble with the tax and NI people, because he wasnt paying it.

so well done for leaving asap.

xx

In my opinion you done the right thing. Good luck with your job hunt and my you be successful before to long :)

This makes me so mad when salon owners take the attitude that they are doing their staff a BIG favour by sending them on training.

If you worked in an office, can you really imagine your boss saying that they wouldn't pay you for training? It's ridulous!!!

If they're that bothered, they should have advertised for an Elemis trained therapist. xxx

Hi all

Well at least you have gained an Elemis Certificate too to put on your CV! well done, you made the right decision. People like her give employers a bad name, rest assured we're not all like that. If any future employer tries to pay you cash in hand, tell them you have to call the tax office to ask them about this, as you have a tax return form to fill in. That should make them think twice.

You have the right attitude and you will go far so dont worry about your current situation as a great one will def come to you. (sorry for sounding like mystic meg but its true!!)

This makes me so mad when salon owners take the attitude that they are doing their staff a BIG favour by sending them on training.

If you worked in an office, can you really imagine your boss saying that they wouldn't pay you for training? It's ridulous!!!

If they're that bothered, they should have advertised for an Elemis trained therapist. xxx

I worked in an office for the last 15 years and lots of companies use a golden handcuff system where training is concerned. especially in IT. What this means is that they will pay your salary/training costs/expenses (but not lunch because you would have had to buy lunch anyway), but if you leave within a predefined time period you pay them back, pro rata.
This stops people collecting lots of expensive training and then buggering off without the company getting the benefit.
I think this system is fair and equitable.

Latest posts

Back