New Tattoo With a spray tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auzz12

Reaction score
Hello

One of my new customers is looking at getting a spray tan but the problem is it is her birthday that she is wanting one so she is getting a tan the same day

Would anyone recommend if i can do a tan after a few hours after the tattoo

Austin x

Im not sure how long a new tattoo is covered for but I assume a few days initially so just say you can tan no problem if its covered but if dressing is removed whilst tan is still on there will be a white patch!
defo no tan if a new tattoo or piercing is not dressed/covered though.:lol:

I was told not to spray over my tattoos until they had completely healed six weeks down the line lol.

She should not have them both done the same day idealy but if she really wants them the same day she would have to have the tatoo first then the tan as the tatooist will wipe the area with alcohol wipes several times during the tatoo.

After the tatoo is done it usually gets covered in quiet a thick layer of vasaline and a dressing of some kind. She can have a spray tan with or without without the dressing on as long as there is a really thick layer of vasaline on the tatoo to protect the skin underneath and you will have to carefully wipe the area after spraying to remove any tan that settles on the vasaline and you could maybe apply more vasaline to help ensure the tatoo heals well.

I was told not to spray over my tattoos until they had completely healed six weeks down the line lol.

As long as the tatoo is healed enough that there is no open wounds (or those wounds are covered) then they can have a spray tan.

DHA has only been tested and proven safe for external aplication. it has not been through the rigourous testing needed for internal use so that's why all open or weaping wounds & piercings etc.. must always be covered.

Was looking at this thread as was interested in the answers as not come across this before but from having various tattoos I wouldnt recommend a spray tan after a tattoo unless the tattoo is completly covered. When Ive had tattoos done Ive been told to keep the cling film on them for up to 4 hours and then to apply bepanthen cream to tattoo regularly for next few days and to be careful not to touch it too often as you dont wana knock scab of while its healing- Can the client not have her tan the day before her tattoo?

Was looking at this thread as was interested in the answers as not come across this before but from having various tattoos I wouldnt recommend a spray tan after a tattoo unless the tattoo is completly covered. When Ive had tattoos done Ive been told to keep the cling film on them for up to 4 hours and then to apply bepanthen cream to tattoo regularly for next few days and to be careful not to touch it too often as you dont wana knock scab of while its healing- Can the client not have her tan the day before her tattoo?

I agree i wouldnt spray tan right after a tattoo i had mine done and my tattoo artist told me mind keep it covered when your spray tanning :)

Would be best to tan first tho the rubbish might take it off. Get her to check with tattoo artist to. If the skin is open, infection complications aside the Colorado could bleed into the tattoo affecting the final color. The tattooist might not be willing to do it if she has tab on her feet if there is a chance it will push the color inside the tattoo, won't be so bad if it's black but the last thing she wants I'd a pretty White/light colour tattoo with a brown tinge!
As stated above the tattoo will be wrapped in clingfilm afterwards so she will have a White foot if you do it after! X

I.m with Caz on this one..personally I wouln't touch it with a bargepole! If ANYthing goes wrong it could be you that takes the rap for it! Yes..dha is very safe..But it's effectively an open wound..the tattooist would have his hygiene /council licence, so if(very worst case scenario) it went to court,the likely culprit of any problems may be you( sorry..I'm a bit obsessed with insurance/safety issues.) Could you recommend a rub on tan lotion from the range you use for her to apply herself? Might be an alternative, then she can avoid the area herself..My grown up kids have tattoos and they can look very sore afterwards..

As long as the tatoo is healed enough that there is no open wounds (or those wounds are covered) then they can have a spray tan.

DHA has only been tested and proven safe for external aplication. it has not been through the rigourous testing needed for internal use so that's why all open or weaping wounds & piercings etc.. must always be covered.

Some Tattoos can take up to six weeks to heal properly and all the scabs come off. I actualy spoke to my tattooist about this as not only was I having a tattoo I was having alot of white on it as well and he said to leave off the tans until totally scab free as although spraying carefully some might have got on the tattoo and ruined it.

Thanks everyone for the replies I am just going to say that I will wait fir tattoo to heal lol

Thanks
Austin

Thanks everyone for the replies I am just going to say that I will wait fir tattoo to heal lol

Thanks
Austin
Or offer to do the tan the day/night before. As long as the tan has been on for the 8-12 hours and has been washed off she should then be fine to have the tatoo over the developed tan.

Hi,
I was told the reasons not to perform a spraytan are if they have any open cuts, sores or abrasions, I would have thought a new tattoo could come under all them, do the spray tan the night before to be on the safe side. dont risk it on the same day!

I have sprayed somebody who has just had a tatoo before, the area was well covered with vaseline then we put a dressing over the top and then cling film.

The tatoo was on the side of her foot so it didnt really matter that there was a bit of a white patch, if it would have been on her shoulder or something I dont think I would have done it as that area is too exposed when doing a tan and any covering could have come off or anything.

Or offer to do the tan the day/night before. As long as the tan has been on for the 8-12 hours and has been washed off she should then be fine to have the tatoo over the developed tan.

Thanks this is what im going to do

Thanks
Austin x

Latest posts

Back