New to renting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailsharon

Reaction score
Hi guys , need some advice as im new to renting. iv been doing mobile for a number of years now. iv now been asked to go into a hairdressers to rent a beauty room. The owner would like £400 per calander month, that includes water, electriclty, shop taking any calls, and il be using al my own products and equipment. Il do treatments for her( waxing, tanning and nails ) and il get hair done if i want.

The only other thing is that at the moment she has her daughter doing spray tanning but shes just starting in the beauty industry and if i come in, she wants me to keep Fake bake on and go halfers on the tan and her clients (which is only 3 a week) £15 full tan.im actually using another brand of tanning, so im not sure what to do there.:o

Any other suggestions would be great:D going to see her sunday so il have my note book with me as il write down anything i need to ask her :D

Im excited and nervous at the same time :eek: x

My personal advice is tread carefully if you already have an existing clientelle and this hairdressers daughter is doing spray tanning and is going to do beauty therapy as it looks to me like she's wanting you to build up a clientelle base for her daughter finishing her beauty therapy course so she has a business to take over.

Could be wrong but make sure you get a contract to cover everything

My personal advice is tread carefully if you already have an existing clientelle and this hairdressers daughter is doing spray tanning and is going to do beauty therapy as it looks to me like she's wanting you to build up a clientelle base for her daughter finishing her beauty therapy course so she has a business to take over.

Could be wrong but make sure you get a contract to cover everything

I know i was thinking that (the owner isnt a hairdresser) :(, as theres no beauty treatments getting carried out just the tanning , i think i should ask her about that when i see her on sunday:evil:

If you think about it you would get £7.50 for doing a spray tan which will take you a 30min slot, when you could get double that in the same time for using your own stuff!

As said above do tred very carefully!

If you do go ahead a rent a room there, I would say that you will except the room on the understanding that you use your own spray tan stuff, not hers.

Also really think about the doing treatments on each other for free!
Please learn from my mistake on that one.
How about suggesting a 50% (& stick to it even if its just for £2 for an eyebrow wax) discount for each other ONLY (the daugher pays full) if you think about your list of treatments and what you can do & think about her list of hair treatments, it isnt a fair deal on your part!
You would get your hair cut once a month, maybe a colour once a month, the odd wash & blow dry, she can have a massage dayly (&probably will because its free), treatments more often, waxing monthly, etc.
With doing treatments at 50% (for example) its a good discount for each other, you still earn a little, so wont begrudge doing her bits instead of a full paying client as much, & makes it hard for her to take avantage of "unlimited free treatments".

Dont make the mistake of doing free treatments on staff either, charge them in full.
You will find people will try & take the mick, you have to be strong & businesslike! (I wish I know what I know now, I would not have been such an easy walkover)
Once you make the mistake once of just saying "oh just give me £x amount" it is really hard to get out of that.

Ask about having your own keys cut for the shop - AND get a lock put on your beauty room for when you are not there.

Will you pay monthly rent or weekly? If you ask if you can pay £100 a week its easier & will feel less than £400 a month.
Also ask her if she shuts the shop on a bank holiday monday would that mean you just pay £80 that week?

Not sure if you have but it might be worth doing a search on "renting a room" as there could be lots of other tips & advice that will help you.

I rent a beauty room too, so am more than happy to answer any questions you have x:Dx

If you think about it you would get £7.50 for doing a spray tan which will take you a 30min slot, when you could get double that in the same time for using your own stuff!

As said above do tred very carefully!

If you do go ahead a rent a room there, I would say that you will except the room on the understanding that you use your own spray tan stuff, not hers.

Also really think about the doing treatments on each other for free!
Please learn from my mistake on that one.
How about suggesting a 50% (& stick to it even if its just for £2 for an eyebrow wax) discount for each other ONLY (the daugher pays full) if you think about your list of treatments and what you can do & think about her list of hair treatments, it isnt a fair deal on your part!
You would get your hair cut once a month, maybe a colour once a month, the odd wash & blow dry, she can have a massage dayly (&probably will because its free), treatments more often, waxing monthly, etc.
With doing treatments at 50% (for example) its a good discount for each other, you still earn a little, so wont begrudge doing her bits instead of a full paying client as much, & makes it hard for her to take avantage of "unlimited free treatments".

Dont make the mistake of doing free treatments on staff either, charge them in full.
You will find people will try & take the mick, you have to be strong & businesslike! (I wish I know what I know now, I would not have been such an easy walkover)
Once you make the mistake once of just saying "oh just give me £x amount" it is really hard to get out of that.

Ask about having your own keys cut for the shop - AND get a lock put on your beauty room for when you are not there.

Will you pay monthly rent or weekly? If you ask if you can pay £100 a week its easier & will feel less than £400 a month.
Also ask her if she shuts the shop on a bank holiday monday would that mean you just pay £80 that week?

Not sure if you have but it might be worth doing a search on "renting a room" as there could be lots of other tips & advice that will help you.

I rent a beauty room too, so am more than happy to answer any questions you have x:Dx

Thanks alot hun really appriate the feedback. The £100 per week is for 3 days i was going to keep it to every calander month as in some months run into 5 weeks, going to go in maybe a wed, thurs and fri working a late night , but going to say to her about a half day sat. I think most hairdressers are closed a monday? Im beginning to get a list of questions made up to hopefully il be prepared when i see her on sunday. Il certainly let you guys know how i get on :D Its my first time doing rental but im not wanting her to see that i havent got a clue and think she can just take over, i know its her shop but iv a business to run too ;) xx

Il certainly let you guys know how i get on :D
Yes please do!

i know its her shop but iv a business to run too ;) xx
That is excatly the right attitude! ;)

Your welcome :D
Now I have read the above, opens up loads more questions.....
£100 for 3 days! - £33 per day!
Whos idea is it that you do 3 days?
Would you not prefer being there full time?
What would happen to your room & stuff on the days you arent there? Would the daughter use your bits?
Will the daughter be spraying the days you are not in?
Regarding the per week or monthly rent payment I am 99% sure it works out excatly the same rent paid over the course of a year, however you do whats best for you! x:Dx

Hi guys, sorry its took a bit of time to get back (was away on holiday ) anyway not good news on the shop front :irked: owner wanted me to go halfers on the tan ( brand i dont use) give her treatments for free , but to be honest besides getting a occasional blowdry ( iv my own hairdresser that iv been going to for years) it was working out she was getting more of a benefit than me , then apart from the £100 per month rent for 3 days she was wanting me to bring in a top brand skincare range :smack: alarm bells where ringing at this stage :eek: and her daughter would come in IF NEEDED to do spray tanning on clients :lol: ( days im not in im thinking) so iv decided not to go in the shop as i think the owner is trying to be a bit greedy and wanting abit of everything plus the daughter thing was looking very suspicuous :rolleyes: so im just doing my mobile at the moment and maybe in the future see about renting somewhere else :green:

ps , while i was on holiday , one of the girls from the shop phoned me and ask if i could come through and do waxing and 2 sets of lashes ( sat morning £150) , of course i was on holiday so i managed to get a friend to go. So she went and she called me saying iv had a lucky escape as one of the sets of lashes was for the owner and she wanted her to do them for FREE :eek: id already told my friend the agreed price and the owner was flipping trying to pull a fast one on her , she did the waxing and one set of lashes and was offski. WHAT A FLIPPIN CHEEK EH , it was good enough for my friend to travel 40min to the shop and then she had a cheek to do that to her , i think iv had a lucky escape on this one :confused:

Latest posts

Back