Newbies keep the faith! Sculpting nightmare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLB

Reaction score
Last monday we got our kits from our nail harmony tutor we did just one nail in class, then my tutor turned round and said for home work she wanted us to do a full set of sculpts (not sure if other in house training is like this but we don't use any tips at all its mainly sculpting they show you how to do tips but encourage scultping as theres no stress point)

i kind of panicked as i was thinking i've done A nail, ONE nail?!? and learnt a brief finish file and only did that once!! :Scared: I've been really busy at home with decorating and my full time job and my ICM course im doing through work, so I arranged to go to my friends house last friday to do her some sculpts, got there i was slightly panicking we got chatting and was well away then these monstrosities occurred!! shovels and duck beaks come to mind! lol anyway i was so upset and frustrated with these that after i'd done them i spoke with my tutor on a friday nite at 10pm telling her all about them, i had to have a rant with someone who i knew had gone through it all before, she was great and said "Lauren!! hun you have to bear in mind you've done one nail in class this is an exercise and you can only get better if you practice" wise words but at the time it didnt make much of a difference as normally i pick things up quick, but i wasn't picking this up quick enough and i was foaming at the mouth with anger at myself!!

these were the beasts in all there ugly glory!! my friend kept them on for some strange reason but i guess that is because she doesnt know the ins and outs and cant see the imperfections aswell as techs/training techs can (how she couldnt still baffles me)

Attachments

• bad nails 1.JPG
    bad nails 1.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,396
  • badnails 2.JPG
    badnails 2.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,359
Last edited:
So i managed to do one or 2 on myself on the sunday i saw a big improvement still far from perfect, need to stop getting air in the brush and also work more on the ratio as i keep getting too wet or too dry!!​

Attachments

• improve 2.JPG
    improve 2.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,123
  • improve 1.JPG
    improve 1.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,114
and finally yesterday i took my first model to the class had more training and info given and these were the next outcome so my second ever full set of acrylics not learnt the pink and whites yet so there just pink sculpts.

But what im trying to say is after just 3 sittings of doing sculpts the improvements have been drastic so as we've been told before by all the masters on here practice practice practice and u will get there!! still along way to go for me, but i feel like i am now a training tech and i totally love doing sculpts!!

heres my latest creation!!

Attachments

• better.JPG
    better.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,191
Last edited:
I am not really sure what your post is about it seems like these should be a blog or if your after pointers then maybe post in the nail critique section ?

training varies between courses and even different teachers , like all things some will be better than others and some teachers will have teaching techniques that work for you and not others and vice versa ,

if you can see faults thats good , if you can learn to take a file to them and get them to look the way you vision thats grate , and if next time you make a nail you can visualize what went wrong this time and what need to do to have control with the next set you will fast improve with every set you you do .
Ceri ,

I am not really sure what your post is about it seems like these should be a blog or if your after pointers then maybe post in the nail critique section ?

training varies between courses and even different teachers , like all things some will be better than others and some teachers will have teaching techniques that work for you and not others and vice versa ,

if you can see faults thats good , if you can learn to take a file to them and get them to look the way you vision thats grate , and if next time you make a nail you can visualize what went wrong this time and what need to do to have control with the next set you will fast improve with every set you you do .
Ceri ,

Sorry i wasnt sure were to post this, i'd just seen posts in the past about how people were unhappy with nails and thought i'd try and help other newbies and let them know that all of us newbies are probably and most likely going through the same issues thinking were not going to get any better but to keep the faith and keep practicing. is there anyway to move it to a more relevant section?

Sorry x

I think this is a good thread, to reassure newbies that the first few sets of nails are usually memorable...for all the wrong reasons!!
I am sure Vetty did a similar thread to this years ago and it was good for people to see some experienced tech's post their first nails pics to compare with current ones so show everyone how much good training and practise can improve your work.

(I ain't posting mine though :lol: )

When I wrote my post there was only the 1st post there and it didn't make much scene , the other 2 posts wear added while I was writing.

Well I was a bit dubious about doing it, but thought what the heck everyone's been there and things can only get better! Although I am very embarrassed about the monsters I posted first!! I capped it off but the free edge was like painting another nail! Haha. Oh well I tried doin it all as one but for some
Reason it wouldn't let me post anymore pics at the time.

Fair play for posting your pics - I would never have had the guts to do it :lol:

My first set of sculpts could have been used as door stoppers and that was several weeks into the course!

Its nice for others to see that none of us were born with an innate knowledge of creating perfect nails - it really does take practice and determination by the bucket load!

Keep up the good work hun i'm sure one day you will be a great tech xx

Hiya,

Like this little blog/thread, Its making me laugh just to think back at my first probably 50 sets of nails! I dodnt realise how bad they were at the time,and yours look like mine did probbly on my 20th set,lol!!

You obviously are a very busy lady, but would be cool if you could find the time to turn this into a proper blog, could also be really useful for any up and coming newbies,and pretty cool for you to look back in the future.
xx

MissLB
I think this thread is great. I have been practicing to sculpt on my practice fingers, bought them from e-bay 20 for £3. I put forms on them every night line them up on my table and sculpt away. I am using my old products at the mo. To scared to use my new Ez flow kit it cost me too much!!
I have some crushed shells and I am trying to prefect my smile lines and free edg with different coloured shells and then pink, clear or white what ever old product I have in the draw for the nail bed. I want to sculpt and only use tips when necessary I think it might be cheaper and stronger and makes for a faster sevice? Keep on sculpting You'l be a wiz with the brush in the long run.

Hear are some I did last night. Don't laugh!!:lol::lol:

Attachments

• IMG0966A.jpg
    IMG0966A.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG0967A.jpg
    IMG0967A.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG0969A.jpg
    IMG0969A.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG0970A.jpg
    IMG0970A.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 606
Hahaha good job they are not paying customers lol.xx

Your so brave for posting these! I would never post mine :eek:

I only started sculpting in September this year and am just about to take my exam at the end of this month. Ive also finished my portfolio now and looking back at the first 7 or 8 sets I did...Im so embarrassed to include them but I know I have too. They are awful and didnt last more than a few days! But the course I did was like you, we only did a couple of nails in class, then was sent away to get on with it for a few months. Ive gotta admit though, Ive probably done about 30- 40 sets now and trust me, they got a whole lot better. I feel Im at the stage now where I can charge what I want too for a full set. Ive sculpted my own nails and still have them on nearly 7 weeks later and they still look great :)

Good Luck x

MissLB
I think this thread is great. I have been practicing to sculpt on my practice fingers, bought them from e-bay 20 for £3. I put forms on them every night line them up on my table and sculpt away. I am using my old products at the mo. To scared to use my new Ez flow kit it cost me too much!!
I have some crushed shells and I am trying to prefect my smile lines and free edg with different coloured shells and then pink, clear or white what ever old product I have in the draw for the nail bed. I want to sculpt and only use tips when necessary I think it might be cheaper and stronger and makes for a faster sevice? Keep on sculpting You'l be a wiz with the brush in the long run.

I think they look good u have to bear in mind ur training there better ten mine! Haha. u need to bear in mind everyone's had to start somewhere and u can only get better like the pros have said. Well I am embarrassed about them but I'm just thinking all of us newbies an training techs need reassurance & thought this thread could help as I hope it does. X

MissLB

Lol! It looks like a dance. Class!!xx

I got one of these fingers yesterday how the bloody hell do u do them tried sticking a tip to it wasn't having non of it!! A form won't fit to it well it looks like it won't. Any advise!? X

I cut the forms to fit the finger. cut a little groove where You would normally fit it under the free edge. I buffed all of them first because the form wouldn't stick to the plastic, I fiddled around with it for ages before I got in place then lifted the form at the front to match the curvature of the nail you might find that the nail on the plastic fingers flick up slightly. I have some you can fit tips to they have a little groove where the cuticle would be. If the gap is too wide place a small bead to a tip and slide it in and leave it to set you can use glue but that didn't work for me. I am going to try blue tac tonight and roll it into a finger shape and press a full well tip onto the end to create a nail bed shape with cuticle line. I have heard that you can then place the tip where you want it and glue it down and blend and apply acrylic and file and shape the overlay. I will try it later. Hope that makes sense:biggrin::biggrin:

MissLB

Oh god these one finger things really freak me out! lol x

Latest posts

Back