Not able to pay after treatment ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayt

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

what a week I have had, friday I did a treatment for a client who when booking I confirmed the price time and date of treatment. When I had given the treatment she told me she only had X amount of money in the house. I said I was happy to take a chq for £10.00 outstanding, she told me she didnt have a chq book and If i wanted her to wake her daughter (4 weeks old asleep in moses basket ) then we could go to the banl together. I felt I was in a bit of a spot but we only live 5 min walk from each other and have a mutual friend I told her she can put it through my door. I have had nothing from her, I phoned saturday and she said can I call you back Im busy with family commitments and the moment. I said you dont have to call me back I just want to let you know if you are unable to bring my payment over the weekend I will come round monday morning.

I am very upset and feel that I am not going to get my money also how could anyone do that I feel reallly stupid :cry:

Thats really bad i could'nt think of anything worse, im sure she'l pay you in the end :hug:

It amazes me how people can do that tbh. Hope she pays you xx:hug:

I am in a bit of a similar position as you just now I have a regular client who has £30 worth of waxing done every 4 weeks.
She has been coming for about 10 months or so and occasionally forgets her money but always pops in the next day that was until Jan when she said she was a little short and was that ok and as she had always paid before I didn't find it a problem.

She re booked as normal but never popped in with the payment then text me the day of her next appointment to say she was ill and would get in touch when she was better unfortunately I still haven't heard from her.

I live in a small village and don't want to harass this lady it is very difficult hun and I wouldn't feel stupid there are people who don't have a continence and are happy to go through life taking advantage of people.
I am going to text my lady this week ask how she is and say about the money due and see what happens.

If I were you I would just pop to her house and say you thought as you were passing you would pop in and save her the trouble of sending the money to you or something like that.

Good luck hun and really don't feel stupid it happens to the best of us :hug:

Iv experienced the very same, and sadly, never did get the money! It was a very regular client, who had a spray tan then told me "oh iv forgotten to get money out" .
I have to say i wasnt to worried, as she was a regular, who i got on very well with. Silly me!
I never saw the money, or the client again. I phoned her several times, and she was always sorry, and would pop it straight over! Hmmmm!
The worst of it was not the money, it was that i felt that my trusting nature had been abused, that was what really upset me!

Still, lesson learnt!

Iv experienced the very same, and sadly, never did get the money! It was a very regular client, who had a spray tan then told me "oh iv forgotten to get money out" .
I have to say i wasnt to worried, as she was a regular, who i got on very well with. Silly me!
I never saw the money, or the client again. I phoned her several times, and she was always sorry, and would pop it straight over! Hmmmm!
The worst of it was not the money, it was that i felt that my trusting nature had been abused, that was what really upset me!

Still, lesson learnt!
That is exactly how i feel my daughter went to school with my clients daughter so I have known her for years and as you say it is so upsetting and it hurts.

You don't legally enter into a contract with a client until they have paid you.

I used to think doing a service and them not paying would give me a legal advantage to get my money through other means. And it does. however you enter into a credit contract, where you do the service and they pay you later.

Luckily never had anyone have a treatment and not pay. I had clients who before I got my credit card machine didnt have cash on them (who really has cash on them these days) I had to send my clients off in search of an ATM. I used to say pay me next time, and I was the one more likely to forget. My clients used to remind me. They told me how much they owed and paid me at the next treatment, or they put the money through my door as promised.

Your always going to get someone pull a fast one on you. I am never going to wait and find out. All client pay upfront BEFORE I treat them. Additional items can be purchased after, but the treament is paid for upfront. I offer a money back guarantee so if they are unhappy they can have a full refund, but no one has took me up on this as of yet.

99% of people are honest, the 1% that arnt ruin it for the rest of us and make us less trustworthy. I just wont take that chance. Getting the client to pay upfront too also stops them not turning up or cancelling last minute. (I do it now at the actual time of booking, I am mobile and work out a shop one day a week) and if they dont want to pay, then how likely are they to not show up or be in, or cancel. I allow them to move there appointment providing they give me at least 24 hours notice. I use my discretion though and if a clients a regular whos kids just took sick and cant make the appointment then I will allow them too.

I used to think of myself as just a beautician, and a few years ago I had to change that into a business owner, and that dramatically changes the way you do business.

Kate

people who don't have a continence

Ha Ha This wee spelling mistake has cheered me right up today.

Thanks for that...... it must be awful doing brazillians for these people :lol:

891930[/COLOR]]Ha Ha This wee spelling mistake has cheered me right up today.

Thanks for that...... it must be awful doing brazillians for these people :lol:
OMG I never noticed I flew through the spell check must have clicked when I shouldn't have :lol::lol:
Of course I meant conscience :lol:

Glad I made you smile and me look stupid:eek:

i did a spray tan party and one of the girls wanted to pay by cash, as it was a friend of a friend i said ok and the cheque bounced and was returned i told my friend whos party it was and she said she will sort it out im still waiting so she said she will pay next time as they are having a party next week. hope she pays i will just say 'oh dont let me forget the money for last time to them'

the thing is bank transfers are very easy to do these days so maybe you should say oh put it in bank for me.

recently i sprayed a friend and forgot to get her money took me weeks to get it as she always forgot it, in the end she was on computer and talking to me i asked her to transfer the money. felt bad but i already do it cheap for her.

Hi Geeks

what a week I have had, friday I did a treatment for a client who when booking I confirmed the price time and date of treatment. When I had given the treatment she told me she only had X amount of money in the house. I said I was happy to take a chq for £10.00 outstanding, she told me she didnt have a chq book and If i wanted her to wake her daughter (4 weeks old asleep in moses basket ) then we could go to the banl together. I felt I was in a bit of a spot but we only live 5 min walk from each other and have a mutual friend I told her she can put it through my door. I have had nothing from her, I phoned saturday and she said can I call you back Im busy with family commitments and the moment. I said you dont have to call me back I just want to let you know if you are unable to bring my payment over the weekend I will come round monday morning.

I am very upset and feel that I am not going to get my money also how could anyone do that I feel reallly stupid :cry:

OH MY GOD!!!!!
This is terrible,
I would keep going round her house every night if I had to until she gives you your money. :mad:
Once you get it - remember to NEVER book her in again, unless she pays upfront!!!
I cant believe the front of some people!!!
Dont feel bad about keep pestering her - I think its your right, she clearly doesnt feel bad about how she has treated you!!
Please keep us posted,
Good luck
Emma x:hug:x

You don't legally enter into a contract with a client until they have paid you.

I used to think doing a service and them not paying would give me a legal advantage to get my money through other means. And it does. however you enter into a credit contract, where you do the service and they pay you later.

Luckily never had anyone have a treatment and not pay. I had clients who before I got my credit card machine didnt have cash on them (who really has cash on them these days) I had to send my clients off in search of an ATM. I used to say pay me next time, and I was the one more likely to forget. My clients used to remind me. They told me how much they owed and paid me at the next treatment, or they put the money through my door as promised.

Your always going to get someone pull a fast one on you. I am never going to wait and find out. All client pay upfront BEFORE I treat them. Additional items can be purchased after, but the treament is paid for upfront. I offer a money back guarantee so if they are unhappy they can have a full refund, but no one has took me up on this as of yet.

99% of people are honest, the 1% that arnt ruin it for the rest of us and make us less trustworthy. I just wont take that chance. Getting the client to pay upfront too also stops them not turning up or cancelling last minute. (I do it now at the actual time of booking, I am mobile and work out a shop one day a week) and if they dont want to pay, then how likely are they to not show up or be in, or cancel. I allow them to move there appointment providing they give me at least 24 hours notice. I use my discretion though and if a clients a regular whos kids just took sick and cant make the appointment then I will allow them too.

I used to think of myself as just a beautician, and a few years ago I had to change that into a business owner, and that dramatically changes the way you do business.

Kate

Never do any service unless the client pays up front. You also may have posted on your wall that any bounced check is subject to a extra charge aswell as missed appointments (take a credit card in advance to secure the appointment time). The good old legal system, if you dont pay you will get a police visit. Works for me!
You are in the business to make money not friends, so make sure you cover yourself legally. This weeds out undesirable candidates who come in for the service to give you a bunch of excuses why they are not paying.
Also Habia has a great legal course that I suggest anyone in this industry to attend.

i've just had a similar thing happen in that a client who has infills and who has been coming to me for a year now, wanted to pay by card but i had run out of roll - she had no cash on her so i asked her to drop it in through the door. She never did and she came the other day for her infills again and i waited for her to say dont forget to take for last time aswell but she never did! Now ive made excuses in that maybe she had just forgot but she was shuftying about and looked uncomfortable and i also mentioned that "i had got some paper rolls as i had run out last time" and she never said or offered the payment up......... now i may be being a bit harsh but the vibe i got was she knew she hadnt paid and was waiting to see if i asked her first.......which disappoints me in that you kinda take regular customers as friends but i think in the end you have to stay business minded.....lesson learnt for me:cry:

I just don't know what is wrong with some people

You are running a business not a charity!

I had a similar experience too…
The nice client has been with us for more than 9 years. She received many treatments, the day of.
Upon finishing, she claimed that she forgot her card/cash.
A month later she returned with the exact cash payment. No tip, no reason for flaking.
I now, after this experience, charge $25/per day if not paid the day service.
So far, so good.

I recall another time when a friend of mine completed a full set. Her client claimed that her husband was to pick her up, and pay for the set.
Hours passed and suddenly the client ran out the door, never be seen again. (probably still running) :eek:
I believe, if it happens once in our career, it’s just a learning tool.
Probably, a good idea to collect the payment before the final buff/top coat.

this has happened to me too, a so called friend did it and I have not seen or heard from her since Jan!

Dont beat yourself over this, I am sure she has every intention of paying, but if she doesnt, you have two choices, chase it or leave it and put it down to experience. I have learnt the had way to ask for payment up front, you could type up an invoice and post it through her door stating on it she has 7 days to make payment.

If she doesnt then I suggest a letter to her asking her to make immediate payment or you will have no alternative but to request a debt management company to collect her debt and she will also be liable for charges and be on a blacklist etc etc etc .

It sucks , it really does. I do hope she will pay you asap.

tigi

Hi All

thanks for all the replies it's nice to know I am not the only one in this situation. I went round first thing this morning and was told by her husband that she had gone out for a run. I explained to him that I had told her I would be round for my money and I was unhappy she was not there. He said he didnt know anything about the money but would be happy to give me the balance of £10.00 and would talk to his wife when she got in. He gave me my money and said he would advise that I do not give her any more treatments and she is not good with her money or paying people back. I think he is right, can you believe that I have got home too a txt from her saying
" Glad u were able to pick your money up are you free for a mani & pedi this week " !! im sure im busy

, you could type up an invoice and post it through her door stating on it she has 7 days to make payment.

If she doesnt then I suggest a letter to her asking her to make immediate payment or you will have no alternative but to request a debt management company to collect her debt and she will also be liable for charges and be on a blacklist etc etc etc .

tigi

I think is probably the best idea and one that i will store away for the future if i need it!

I had a similar thing but it was my fault.

Did a set of nails for a client/friend. She broke a couple of them a week later so she she came back in i did the infills at the same time as a guesture of goodwill because i wasnt entirely happy with my origonal work. Anyway i figured that i wouldnt charge her for any of the work as i was thinking of the bigger picture, happy client = repeat business and word of mouth etc.
Anyway she had the freebie and never saw her again. Claims the hospital removed all her acrylics whilst she was asleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah.....ok!

Latest posts

Back