NSS - Now I've heard it all!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
she said that before they put you in to soak, if there is any lifting they stick a nail tip under the lifting bit and try to leaver it off!-

number 1 reason i am going to school to learn how to do this myself! I have had this happen to me MANY times in the little Nail spots in the mall etc. They DO NOT soak them off. They RIP them off! I have never has them soak, even when they do not come off easy. It take tons of nail off with it am make my hands and poor beds sore! Then when they would go to put them back on it would burn them so much! I would say " It Burns!" and they would tell me no no your fine! And the fill lines i would get at places like this! OMG! I would say " PLEASE! Don't leave fill lines" and I would be told there is nothing they can do about them and they look fine. If I don't like them paint it then i wont see the lines.....:irked:. SO here I am with brush in hand glasses on and listening ears on! I hope to get in school in Sept (crosses fingers) Till then I am thankfull to Sallys and low cost of learning how on my own and help from here! :hug:. Can't wait till i may good enough to use better product! Just can't see spending good money on it till I have the right fit! :Scared:

whaaaaaaaat? :eek: crazy people. My local one is always so busy tho! and my previous boss used to say they did the best nails she'd ever seen....

How can you expect people to be responsible even if some techs are careless when they have their nails done --> There was a thread here recently where one complained about hygiene..
I was shocked :eek:

Do these nss have any training? I've never been to one so I don't know. Is it even legal to do acrylics on people without training? And how do they get insurance?!!

In my local nss the front line girl who is the face of their shop has a certificate. From what i have been told the rest do not. One of the clients at our salon goes there regularly. i informed her of mma and what t was and she was all shocked about it. Turns out she has been going there since it opened (first customer, it was her who told me only the daughter has a certificate) but she came in last week and it was horrible.

My salon manager went and got her nails done because i wouldn't do them for her in my lunch hour :cry: yeah she made me feel great about that. Anyway this client comes in after my manager returns and there having a chin wag. then this client says at the top of her voice (the salon was full and is quite big) "My nail salon down the road doesn't use MMA, shes showed me her invoiced for it. Do you know she pays over £300 for powder. Its the expensive stuff she uses and its better than CND"

the fact is that the MMA is in the liquid made me want to crack up (exspecially whe I had told her this) when i heard her defending the NSS down the road (defo mma users) but it did wind me up a little. To make matters worse my manager who's nnos do look nice from the local nss, is now loosing me money because of it. Her clients ask her where she gets her nails done and she says the local nss. Her clients then go there :cry: sometimes i feel like people just want you to feel like crap.

(oh took this up with her by the way and as it turns out I'm in the wrong for not doing them for her when she asked and she sees no problems with me loosing clients) i feel like a little fish out in some big water sometimes.

But if we get told things like this is there anyone to tell? I don't know, but it makes no sense that we disregard health and hygiene so much, and surely working without a certificate to their name has also got to be against the law? sorry if i sound thick here but Ive always practiced what i have been taught with CND. Having had no safety inspector or anything visit us yet even I'm unsure of the standards of trade in this country :irked::irked::irked:

My neighbour has been using our locl NSS salon for ver 3 years. She has never in that time had any form of hand sanitisations during her visits, never had nails soaked off - they too are pinged off with a tip, she has had her natural nail plate drilled with the e-file, the enhancements are easily 3-4mm thick at the free edges. She has never had her cuticles removed or oiled in any way and this woman charges her £27 a time! I have offered to destroy her natural nails for half that price and sat her down with this site in front of her and explained to her about proper prep, hygeine and such. I am not even qualified yet but I won't even paint her nails without cleaning both her and my own hands first!

I tried to soak off her NSS nails - they would not budge and what little did come away was like nothing I have seen before! We eventually got them off, I gave her a little pamper ( as a friend as I am not qualified) and painted them for her with some nail hardener on them.

She was back there within 2 days wanting the NSS to put more on for her!!!! Some people can't be told though :(

i was talking a a lady i know over here and shes been going to one for yrs .. she knows how bad they are but she said she just like to have em done quick ! :eek: ... now where did i put that bus timetable ?? lol x

Yes, I was told by one now loyal client that they used a credit card to lever them off and that for about three days afterwards her nails hurt so much she couldnt put them in water. I was appalled.

She had never been anywhere else and was quite young and all her uni friends went there and thought it was normal.

I explained what the correct process was and she is now a loyal client.

I was actually sick whilst soaking them beastly things off. (not in front of her though!) THe stench was horrific.

I've actually had this happen to me once!!!! It made me decide to go into the industry myself thought it was the most painful thing (apart from giving birth).:lol:

what does nss mean, have heard a lot of people mention this but not know what it means

She's lucky they used a new tip, in some places the bloke has a long fingernail especially for this job!
Apparently, my local one uses a bus timetable:eek:?!

Bleurk, this reminds me of the NSS I used to go to when I was say 15/16...they bloke had an extra long pinky nail he used to push down cuticles...bleurk! It was a running joke between me and my friends as you'd pray that when you went in it wouldn't be him doing it!

It's good that there are press about discounted stores to allow the general public be aware of how a bad job will affect the nails.

But I don't think they put enough emphasis on the fact that alongside the bad nail techs, there are also many many good nail techs.

Everytime there is a story, it is always about the bad things that has been done to nail, no one ever shows or explain the other side of the story where a good nail job by a properly trained and qualilfied person will totally transform ugly looking nails. That if used correctly, nail enhancements will bring lots of joy to a person's life.

Surely this is extremely unhealthy for our industry and businesses...?

IEverytime there is a story, it is always about the bad things that has been done to nail, no one ever shows or explain the other side of the story where a good nail job by a properly trained and qualilfied person will totally transform ugly looking nails. That if used correctly, nail enhancements will bring lots of joy to a person's life.

Not to mention how convenient it is! And you don't have to worry about nails at all!
I can't imagine myself without extensions now. Whenever I take them down my own nails look so plain, so insipid.. :confused: that I want them, extentions back as soon as possible. ))

Not to mention how convenient it is! And you don't have to worry about nails at all!
I can't imagine myself without extensions now. Whenever I take them down my own nails look so plain, so insipid.. :confused: that I want them, extentions back as soon as possible. ))

I kind of feel the same too. I am born with very short ugly nail beds and the Brisa opaque gel have totally transformed them. Now I walk around with these brilliant long nail beds all the time..!!

Why can't the media see things like this and make a success story....?
There are many many good things about nail enhancements and they can bring a lot of happiness, confident and enjoyment into people's lives.

But I guess bad press is 'good' press. Unfortunely bad story sells.
Yes, it does make the general public be more aware, but it only allows the public to be aware of bad nail jobs.

It's things like this which makes me think that actually, I prefer there is no press at all on the subject.

Small victories one at a time.....
MMA has been banned in Australia since 2007 thanks to the efforts of the APFA [Australia] - with the help of globally recognized experts ie: Doug Schoon [CND USA] - & many others.

The APFA is also currently working towards regulating the industry throughout Australia & it doesn't look to be too far off.
This means sorting through the chalk and cheese..
Educating government & local councils to KNOW what they are supposed to be checking for in all salons/spas/home salons etc & giving them FACT to
work with.

Colleges & educators will have to be of a certain standard to teach and certify new therapists.
All therapists/techs will have to have complete valid and recognized courses to open, insure & operate a nail/beauty business.

This can only be a good thing & hopefully will have a massive roll on effect
to rid us of NSS.
No 'good' therapist should be worried about that at all

We the professional nail techs worldwide have been outraged at the practices of NNS, lack of education, salon hygiene standards,fixing their mistakes & so on hoping someone will do something about it

Finally it has been exposed. Unfortunately their has to be a victim [just one of many]
This is exactly what needed to happen for the industry...Not what the client needed though.
It's not like we haven't tried to avoid this inevitable result due to NSS practices.

I'm happy with the APFA, industry professionals, clients/victims speaking up on my/our behalf & bringing it to the attention of the masses via TV or any media [ this is also posted on youtube...gotta love nailzoo :lol: ]

As a professional therapist along with many more Australian techs we have an Association that we can report our concerns to if it is suspected that things aren't up to standard or MMA is being used.

In turn this information has & is being used for example to ban MMA - next regulate to protect good techs - inform & protect the general public.

I believe this opens the door for good nail stories. There is now legal action being taken against this business. Carl [nailzoo] has already volunteered to be a witness lol for this matter [long story]. I'm sure there will be a follow up story regarding this
and this is where a platform to expose bad practices compared to good practicing techs will be made..

One bite of the elephant at a time ....

Last edited:
Sorry if I come across a little dopey, but I know an NSS is a non standars salon,but what exactly does this mean?

Thanks guys!

Sorry if I come across a little dopey, but I know an NSS is a non standars salon,but what exactly does this mean?

Thanks guys!

Hey sister don't feel dopey! I was going to ask the same thing! I wanted to know what all the little acronym's are for like nno etc. maybe a sticky at the top of all the forum links so newbies could look with out asking or feeling a little red in the face:hug:

My word!

And yes, people are mad!

unbelievable...

Poor clients!

Brend x

Hey sister don't feel dopey! I was going to ask the same thing! I wanted to know what all the little acronym's are for like nno etc. maybe a sticky at the top of all the forum links so newbies could look with out asking or feeling a little red in the face:hug:
NSS (I hate the term) means Non Standard Salon .... it's a stupid name really and I prefer to call NSS salons Discount Salons.

NSS denotes a salon that is using MMA (methyl methacrylate monomer) to make artificial nails. These salons have become unfairly also linked to drill use and having owners from foreign countries particularly Asia. I say unfairly as obviously there are many oriental and Asian technicians who are brilliant technicians and running good safe businesses and not using MMA and there are many technicians who use nail drills perfectly safely.

There are also many other technicians who are of a very low standard who could easily fall into the NSS category. Lots of salons could come under the banner of being non standard who don't use MMA but good brands.

So I prefer to use the word discount salons as these are the salons that seem to be the worst culprits for damaging nails and for lacking any good hygienic practices and sometimes (not always) for using MMA.

AS for NNO -- this means natural nail overlay and there is an article in the articles section where all the acronyms are listed.

Back