Offer ~ 50% Off or Half Price

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so doing buy one get one free, you wouldn't say it has to be the same person who pays for one treatment and then gets one free?

do you mean that one person would pay and one would be free (like their friend or family member)??

I would say one person pay and there mate go free so you get 2 new clients and they get 1/2 price. Everyone's happy.

Thanks so much for your replies!

If anyone else would like to give their input that would be really helpful xx

I've only recently run an offer for 50% off spray tans. I worded it "Free Spray Tan" on top to catch attention. I went on to say they could have another one free (within one month) or bring along a friend. This offer was only for one month (sept). So far I've had 11 new clients as a direct result of this promotion, and from them I've had a couple of other treatments booked for themselves or have been recommended to friends. So it worked for me to bring in a few new clients and promote my business and other treatments on offer. Good luck with it. x

I'm glad to hear this kind of promotion worked for you!
I agree that it should only be a short term offer and was thinking of running it for one month or maybe 2 at the most - I will clearly state the expiry date so that there is no confusion!!

You've thrown me now though....I was going to offer 50% off their first treatment from my list of services so that it appeals to a wide range of people (and then also only having to have one batch of leafleets printed!) but now you've said you've done it for tanning and been successful i may just focus on one treatment such as spray tans

What's the general concensus???

50% off any treatment (first treatment only)
or
50% off a specified treatment

?????????

xx

working in retail i would word it as 'SAVE £XX!!!!on blah blah for a limited time only'.......if people see how much money they save they are instantly drawn to it. 50% off etc can sometimes sound a bit bargain basement if you know what i mean.
xx

If I saw an offer 50% off or half price treatments that would say to me the salon was desperate.

It would also make me question the quality of that treatment. Do you want to cheapen your professional position, if so offer 50% off or half price.

If you want it to appear less desperate, then offer a buy one get one half price.

You may also find that these people who are on the look out for things like this don't become regular, loyal clients as they will constantly be on the look out for freebies and visit other salons as well as yours offering similar things.

is this going to open to everyone, ie your existing clients?

As its October and relatively quiet and not many bookings on facials or spray tans I have put an offer on that if they book and recieve a treatment through till November 25th, they will get a £10 voucher to use on either a facial or a spray tan taken before the end of Jan 09. So, Im hoping to increase sales and retain through xmas and the new year party season.

I dont give a percentage off, I do an actual amount....I personally find that some clients dont have a clue what price a full priced treatment is..so a % off I find doesn't mean that much to them.

Now that sounds like a good idea!
How would you word it on a leaflet??

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Keep it simple and call it "2 for 1" (2 for the price of one) this way you have more chance of getting 2 clients together rather than putting " buy 1 get 1 free" as they may then take the second "free" treatment themselves another day. Hope that makes sense xx

What's the general concensus???

50% off any treatment (first treatment only)
or
50% off a specified treatment

?????????
Honestly? Neither of them.
Sorry but I think it cheapens the treatments and make you look desperate for business.

As its October and relatively quiet and not many bookings on facials or spray tans I have put an offer on that if they book and recieve a treatment through till November 25th, they will get a £10 voucher to use on either a facial or a spray tan taken before the end of Jan 09. So, Im hoping to increase sales and retain through xmas and the new year party season.
Personally, I much prefer Teresa's idea.

is this going to open to everyone, ie your existing clients?

The offer was going to be for new clients....

A high end salon has opened up near where I live and they had a '50% off your first treatment' offer running during the first month that they opened and it seemed to go down well. They also have a good refer a friend scheme.

The salon is never crammed full but also never completely dead!

Considering it was a high end salon I thought they pulled it off without looking cheap...and therefore thought I may be able to carry off something like this.

I have never done an offer such as this so thought that seeing as though I am kind of re-launching my business it may give me a useful boost!!

For the last few years I have been very limited on the hours I have been able to work and now this has changed I can take on more clients.

After reading some of the replies i'm really in a pickle about what I should do!!!!!!

Keep it simple and call it "2 for 1" (2 for the price of one) this way you have more chance of getting 2 clients together rather than putting " buy 1 get 1 free" as they may then take the second "free" treatment themselves another day. Hope that makes sense xx

I am loving the idea of doing 2 for 1, where 2 clients come along and efectively get their treatments half price...as tonilee also said its 2 lots of word of mouth!!

Just not sure about how to word it so that its eye-catching on a flyer!!

I'll have to give this a lot more thought!

Well how's about, instead of offering 50% off for new clients you do it for existing clients?

If it's for new clients only you run the risk of them just coming in for the freebie, never to be seen again. You may also just attract the bargain hunters who are less likely to be loyal to you.

However, if you offer your regulars a good offer for a different treatment than their norm, they may like it enough to have again with their next appointment.

We've been doing this recently with our eyebrow shape clients. We've offered them a half price eyelash tint on their next appointment. 'Course, they've been so pleased with the results, they've booked again :). That's an extra £10.50. If you get 10 clients upgrading, that's an extra £105, (or whatever your prices are of course)

Or, you could always offer a 1/2 price back massage with a certain treatment

Or, 1/2 price facial with a full body massage

The possibilities are endless.

Also, by them combining their treatments, it keeps your treatment time down so it doesn't 'cost' you as much in lost appointment time.

edit
This is some of the wording on my current newsletter:

What’s New!

This month we say Goodbye to Kerry who is off to pastures new. Myself & Jo wish her well in her new job.
We say Hello to Hayley instead who is looking forward to meeting as many clients as possible. To help her in this quest we are offering some great deals when you book in with Hayley.

Wonderful Wednesday:
ALL treatments 1/2 price

Fabulous Friday:
Book 1 treatment & receive another 1 FREE

Spaces are limited on Wednesdays & Fridays so be quick & grab a bargain.

Last edited:
Well how's about, instead of offering 50% off for new clients you do it for existing clients?

If it's for new clients only you run the risk of them just coming in for the freebie, never to be seen again. You may also just attract the bargain hunters who are less likely to be loyal to you.

However, if you offer your regulars a good offer for a different treatment than their norm, they may like it enough to have again with their next appointment.

We've been doing this recently with our eyebrow shape clients. We've offered them a half price eyelash tint on their next appointment. 'Course, they've been so pleased with the results, they've booked again :). That's an extra £10.50. If you get 10 clients upgrading, that's an extra £105, (or whatever your prices are of course)

Or, you could always offer a 1/2 price back massage with a certain treatment

Or, 1/2 price facial with a full body massage

The possibilities are endless.

Also, by them combining their treatments, it keeps your treatment time down so it doesn't 'cost' you as much in lost appointment time.

edit
This is some of the wording on my current newsletter:

What’s New!

This month we say Goodbye to Kerry who is off to pastures new. Myself & Jo wish her well in her new job.
We say Hello to Hayley instead who is looking forward to meeting as many clients as possible. To help her in this quest we are offering some great deals when you book in with Hayley.

Wonderful Wednesday:
ALL treatments 1/2 price

Fabulous Friday:
Book 1 treatment & receive another 1 FREE

Spaces are limited on Wednesdays & Fridays so be quick & grab a bargain.

How does your Fabulous Friday offer work?
Is the treatment they receive free, the same as the first one they book?

How does your Fabulous Friday offer work?
Is the treatment they receive free, the same as the first one they book?

It depends. They can come in on their own & have 2 different treatments (in the same appointment) or 2 friends can come in together & both have the same (or different) treatment.

If the same client has 2 treatments do you have a price limit on the free treatment?

I think the idea of doing offers like this will go down better for both new and existing clients.

If the same client has 2 treatments do you have a price limit on the free treatment? The only clause is that the cheapest treatment is free, so, if they want a pricier one free, they'll have to spend more in the first instance :), which is what you want. You don't want to give the shop away. And, by restricting the times of the offer it makes you look less desperate.

I think the idea of doing offers like this will go down better for both new and existing clients.

I don't really think there's any one offer that would suit everybody so it's probably a case of trying things out & testing/monitering the results. If it works, keep doing it, if it doesn't change an element of the offer & see what response you then get.

Personally I think 50% is too much. Sorry to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, but if I was a potential client I would wonder what the problem was for you to be offering such a substantial discount.

Word it like, buy one spray tan/facial/manicaure/bobajob get one free.......bring a friend along and let them have a treatment totally free (or split the cost between you both and be pampered together for half the price!!)

i definately want one of these bobajobs ur on about!!!

totally agree with lee, BOGOFF is a MUCH better solution than doing half price!! it has worked well for me in the past. i usualy do it on mothers day!

Latest posts

Back