OH NO MY ACRYLIC BRUSH what do I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cups1974

Reaction score
Ok so i was in doing a pedicure and the child of the client i was doing used my Acrylic brush to paint a dog on a paper you know the paint you use to do nail art. The mother didn't even say anything when i explain why it was wrong. I have had that brush for years I washed with soap and water and then soaked it in bush cleaner and then in monamor. what else can i do please anyone! Oh my i'm freaking out!!

soak it in brush cleaner to remove the acrylic paint. then wash with a mild shampoo and use conditioner to carefully bring the brush back into shape with your fingers. rinse thouroughly and then soak it in monomer and carefully wipe it back into shape on a tissue.

What do you mean by mild soap and conditioner?

What do you mean by mild soap and conditioner?

not soap, shampoo and conditioner.
your brush will be made of natural hair, so hair products work well to bring them back to life.

Wow, does anyone really have their brush for years....mine stop performing at about the 6-8 month mark.

I have had my brush @ 1 1/2 yrs Thanks I'm going to go try Shampoo and conditioner

Go for it :hug:

First of all i would have charged the mother for it!
I hope the shampoo and conditioner fix it for you.
I don't know what people are thinking when they take their kids with them to have their nails done, thats a pet peeve of mine.

Wow, does anyone really have their brush for years....mine stop performing at about the 6-8 month mark.

Same as you cathie, but I guess it depends how much the brush is used.

I don't know what people are thinking when they take their kids with them to have their nails done, thats a pet peeve of mine.

A. my brush (or any product) wouldnt have been anywhere the little 'angel?' could have got to it

B. if the little..... erm.... angel.. had managed to get to it some how, then yes mother dearest would have been given the bill.

Just goes to show that children and clients just don't work on the whole. Better that the two are separate IMO. There is a letter/comment in the recent prof beauty magazine about this.

Personally I don't think the mum should even have to be asked to pay. She should volunteer it :rolleyes:. Many years ago when my 14yr old was just a tot, she emptied a couple of pots of glitter onto the floor in an educational kiddie shop. My back was only briefly turned :o. The shop owner was quite angry but I offered to pay for the tampered products and appologised profusely which seemed to alleviate a tense situation. And rightly so! You do the damage (or your tot) and you pay.

I have children in the salon all the time i have never had this problem.... The mother didn't even say sorry or anything. I think the advise from angelfingers worked. I have several brushes i use but this is my favorite. ugh Has it realy come to having to put a sign up. "Please Control your children, or i will".....LOL I wish. Ok so damage control do i have to explain to all children not to touch my stuff what ever happen to don't touch without asking. She had to go behind my station to get the paint and the brush. UGH..... I;m sorry to say that this little girl has ruined it for all the others.

Just goes to show that children and clients just don't work on the whole. Better that the two are separate IMO. There is a letter/comment in the recent prof beauty magazine about this.

Personally I don't think the mum should even have to be asked to pay. She should volunteer it :rolleyes:. Many years ago when my 14yr old was just a tot, she emptied a couple of pots of glitter onto the floor in an educational kiddie shop. My back was only briefly turned :o. The shop owner was quite angry but I offered to pay for the tampered products and appologised profusely which seemed to alleviate a tense situation. And rightly so! You do the damage (or your tot) and you pay.

I quiet agree, would mum have been so relaxed if her angel had put the brush in his mouth? Or better still the monomer? In my home while the children were little, all my stuff was in reach, they were taught not to touch.:rolleyes: No they weren't perfect but they did learn:lol:

If you have kids in regularly, do you have a little area with a few things to keep them amused? Maybe a few coloured pencils and some paper would have kept the kid amused.

Although a salon is no place for kids, you have to remember that some mothers dont have the option of leaving them behind, so its a choice between taking them or missing out on their bit of pampering.

Personally if someone brought a child along while recieving a service with me, I would amuse it somehow, so the mum gets her bit of time out. Even though its not my responsibility, its still a nice gesture.

If you have kids in regularly, do you have a little area with a few things to keep them amused? Maybe a few coloured pencils and some paper would have kept the kid amused.

Although a salon is no place for kids, you have to remember that some mothers dont have the option of leaving them behind, so its a choice between taking them or missing out on their bit of pampering.

Personally if someone brought a child along while recieving a service with me, I would amuse it somehow, so the mum gets her bit of time out. Even though its not my responsibility, its still a nice gesture.

Hi, i totally agree, please dont let one bad experience ruin it for all the others, not all mothers let their kids run wild. And yes, i for one appreciate it when i get a little time out from my kids so as Enhanced-Barbie said, get some pencils and paper in so that the kids are amused while you do the mothers nails, She'll thank you for it, :)

Acrylic paint is water based, there should be no need to use something as harsh as brush cleaner (to be honest, you shouldn't even need it in your cupboard).

Just rinse the brush well in water, then shampoo a few times, use conditioner, leave the conditioner in for a few minutes, pat on some paper to take out most of the moisture, reshape the brush and leave it at least overnight.

Then give it a good swim in monomer, reshape, then leave overnight again.

You should keep all your products out of reach of children, think yourself lucky that the kid only used your brush ........

they could have drank your primer:!::!:

Last edited:
ok, firstly let me apologise because when I read that I laughed out loud!! I just have a vision of you turning round to see a toddler very proudly holding up this picture of a dog, with your brush in the other hand:lol:

Anyway, I am sure i was not at all funny for you. Firstly, do seriouly consider contacting your client to advise her that you will need to charge her if you cant repair the brush.
Secondly, I have a policy where children are concerned, perhaps you should introduce one? I dont say "absolutely no children", because I know I used to take my six year old to my nail appointments and she sat through good as gold. What I do say is that the client knows their child better than anyone, and if they are confident that their child can sit through the appointment and behave, they can bring the child. However, I do clearly state that should the child behave in such a way during the service that compromises the service, or the health & safety of the child or anyone else, I have the right to stop the treatment, and the treatment still has to be paid for. That way, those who are tempted to bring a child who has a slight chance of not behaving generally chooses not to!!

Thirdly I agree with Nailzoo. Keep all your products safely out of reach or in a closed case if you are mobile. It could be a lot worse than just your brush the little darlings get hold of.

Take care :hug:

ok, firstly let me apologise because when I read that I laughed out loud!! I just have a vision of you turning round to see a toddler very proudly holding up this picture of a dog, with your brush in the other hand:lol:

Anyway, I am sure i was not at all funny for you. Firstly, do seriouly consider contacting your client to advise her that you will need to charge her if you cant repair the brush.
Secondly, I have a policy where children are concerned, perhaps you should introduce one? I dont say "absolutely no children", because I know I used to take my six year old to my nail appointments and she sat through good as gold. What I do say is that the client knows their child better than anyone, and if they are confident that their child can sit through the appointment and behave, they can bring the child. However, I do clearly state that should the child behave in such a way during the service that compromises the service, or the health & safety of the child or anyone else, I have the right to stop the treatment, and the treatment still has to be paid for. That way, those who are tempted to bring a child who has a slight chance of not behaving generally chooses not to!!

Thirdly I agree with Nailzoo. Keep all your products safely out of reach or in a closed case if you are mobile. It could be a lot worse than just your brush the little darlings get hold of.

Take care :hug:
Chelle I do see where you are coming from, but I have already experienced problems in different areas regarding kids in salons. These are my reasons based on my experience, so I am not disputing what you are saying, just offering a different angle :hug:.

I too have taken my youngest to nail appointments but I couldn't relax throughout the whole appointment because I had my eyes on her constantly to make sure she was not disrupting anybody else or touching anything. It really takes away from the pampering 'me' time.

Some mums are absolutely positive that their kids are little darlings and in my opinion they are not. What one parent sees as well behaved, another thinks is naughty. I've had a child ruin one of my nail art wheels because her mum did nothing about it :irked:. My comment was 'please don't touch that' and mums reply was, 'oh, she is only having a look' :rolleyes:. Mmmmmmm, did the look require breaking off the plastic nails?

Even if kids are not tampering with products and they are safely out of reach, then they want to sit on mommie's lap for a cuddle. Now even the best behaved children cannot sit still for very long. They have short attention spans and it is virtually impossible to apply product for a pedicure, whilst the child is bouncing about on mum's lap.

I prefer to introduce the rule of 'no children pleas' from the outset. It is then up to the client if they wish to keep the appointment or not.

Its a hard one, i was doing a manicure once, and the darling of a child grabbed hold of my nail display stand and kindly sat there and snapped every single colour pop off, only when i got up and turned around did i see what he had done!! the mother didnt aplogise or offer to pay, i was just starting out and was so meak and mild so didnt charge her, but have learnt my lesson and soooo would charge now!!
Look at it in the way that if you dont charge her and have to buy a new brush because of the child, you have basically done a free pedicure xx

Chelle I do see where you are coming from, but I have already experienced problems in different areas regarding kids in salons. These are my reasons based on my experience, so I am not disputing what you are saying, just offering a different angle :hug:.

I too have taken my youngest to nail appointments but I couldn't relax throughout the whole appointment because I had my eyes on her constantly to make sure she was not disrupting anybody else or touching anything. It really takes away from the pampering 'me' time.

Some mums are absolutely positive that their kids are little darlings and in my opinion they are not. What one parent sees as well behaved, another thinks is naughty. I've had a child ruin one of my nail art wheels because her mum did nothing about it :irked:. My comment was 'please don't touch that' and mums reply was, 'oh, she is only having a look' :rolleyes:. Mmmmmmm, did the look require breaking off the plastic nails?

Even if kids are not tampering with products and they are safely out of reach, then they want to sit on mommie's lap for a cuddle. Now even the best behaved children cannot sit still for very long. They have short attention spans and it is virtually impossible to apply product for a pedicure, whilst the child is bouncing about on mum's lap.

I prefer to introduce the rule of 'no children pleas' from the outset. It is then up to the client if they wish to keep the appointment or not.

I know exactly what you mean to be honest, not all mums have the same perception of what "well behaved" means. Now, my daughter used to sit with a colouring book and some pencils and amuse herself, she didnt make a peep, but not all others do I completely appreciate that. I think thats why I left it up to parental coice, but introduced a financial penalty more or less, by saying I can stop the treatment and they still have to pay, but I can completely understand someone having a complete "no kids" policy.

I have an etire corner with computer system and all for the children Crafts No Mess Stickers and door hangers for them to make. Child freindly snacks And i always take the time if they have been good to paint with design

Latest posts

Back