Oh the joys of staff....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personal hygiene,good professional appearance, good attitude and good manners should be a common practice in any job especially the hair and beauty industry. unfortunately no ones perfect and although the staff may be good at their job they could be lacking in other qualities.

I found the points system worked for me, some people may think it sounds a but OTT but if nothing else is working I think it's worth a try. I think it's a good way to improve these areas without being a nag or pressuring staff as this can lead to a high staff turnover or create a bad atmosphere. The scheme vastly improved staff morale and revenue without being negative, it was a win win situation.

x x

I know I havn't met you Kim but we have talked loads on FB and I think your lovely and a really nice person. However sorry to say nice/lovely and business dont mix, you need to be ruthless, cut throat and tough where your business is concerned. Just make sure that your staff are rewarded accordingly for great professionalism. I'm not saying you have to be a diva, or atilla the hun, just consistant, consistant, consistant. Let one thing slide and people soon think they can get away with things.

Its your salon they are representing, its your rules, if they dont like they know where the door is. Do you have an employers handbook/contract? If not get one done pronto. As a temporary measure have a list of Presentation bullet points in the staff room, laminate it and refer to it when necessary. Perhaps one on Customer service would be a good idea too.

All this is quite similar to classroom management, all teachers have a set of rules on how pupils MUST behave, if they dont they are removed from the class or they recieve a sanction. Simple.

Dare I tell you what my nickname at school was......at first I was OMG NOOOOO..... but then I saw the funny side. My nickname at school in the last school I taught was Warrior Watkin pmsl :lol:

anne xx

I know I havn't met you Kim but we have talked loads on FB and I think your lovely and a really nice person. However sorry to say nice/lovely and business dont mix, you need to be ruthless, cut throat and tough where your business is concerned. Just make sure that your staff are rewarded accordingly for great professionalism. I'm not saying you have to be a diva, or atilla the hun, just consistant, consistant, consistant. Let one thing slide and people soon think they can get away with things.

Its your salon they are representing, its your rules, if they dont like they know where the door is. Do you have an employers handbook/contract? If not get one done pronto. As a temporary measure have a list of Presentation bullet points in the staff room, laminate it and refer to it when necessary. Perhaps one on Customer service would be a good idea too.

All this is quite similar to classroom management, all teachers have a set of rules on how pupils MUST behave, if they dont they are removed from the class or they recieve a sanction. Simple.

Dare I tell you what my nickname at school was......at first I was OMG NOOOOO..... but then I saw the funny side. My nickname at school in the last school I taught was Warrior Watkin pmsl :lol:

anne xx

I definitely understand what your saying. From my managerial experience the autocratic management style gets the job done but can lead to high staff turnover I find this style of management works better retail.

When it comes to the service industry you need to retain your staff and work strategically to achieve productivity I wouldn't call it "nice/lovely" more a democratic management style which has worked wonders all round.

x x

I bet they haven't used the spray tan as their young and embarrassed about taking their clothes off in front of someone else. Even though I bet they are stick thin. I remember taking my wee sister for a spray tan when she was 21. Size 6 and was totally shy about it. We went again the next week and she wore hot pants and a bikini top.

I think it's the same for young girls in the gym changing rooms. As you get older you just don't care.

I have been an employer for ten years now, so I thought I would give you a little bit of advice. You have only employed these girls for a short time, they are not making the appropriate effort and I would just tell them its not working out and sorry you have to let them go, you will feel much better after doing this as it will give you the confidence to manage future staff and you will know what you want the next time someone applies for a job.

I have had the worst experiences with staff because I was too soft and really got walked over. I think you have given them more than enough encouragement to present themselves in the manner you require and offered free treatments, if they cant impress you in theirst first couple of weeks then their highly unlikely to improve, in my experience they are like children and testing their boundaries, you have to get tougher, keep telling yourself this is your busines, you are the boss and its your reputation and money, now they buck up their ideas. Personally I would get rid of them as you have others really wanting a job and they could be perfect for you. I hope this helps, if you want any help please pm me, good luck with this weekend, I really hope you find the outcome is what you want.

Get rid of one, im sure the rest will step up once they see you taking action.

use one as an example and the rest wont want to follow, not if they care about their jobs anyway.

I definitely understand what your saying. From my managerial experience the autocratic management style gets the job done but can lead to high staff turnover I find this style of management works better retail.

When it comes to the service industry you need to retain your staff and work strategically to achieve productivity I wouldn't call it "nice/lovely" more a democratic management style which has worked wonders all round.

x x

Just to clarify I think Kim has given these staff members more than enough chances and that is why I think one more strike your out. I do think you have to be ruthless and harsh in business but this can be done with diplomacy and tact. I by no means am talking about lording it over your staff, just let them know you are boss, end off!!

To boost moral I would suggest that for good professionalism and work ethics that Kim reward her staff as she sees fit this could be a manner of all things:

Tickets to a musical
A spa day
A extra day off paid
A dinner for two

The list is endless and doesnt have to cost much. The best groomed, professional and customer service orientated member of staff of the month could be rewarded. I'm not talking about rewarding how skilled a staff member is at this stage, thats a whole different issue. I'm talking about rewarding staff that adhere to Kim's rules of what she considers represents her salon to a high standard. Its a small price to pay for keeping your staff on their toes and high moral in the workplace. No one wants to work in a bad atmosphere, but then no boss wants to feel like they are being taken for a ride.

anne xx

Last edited:
yeh well today was pretty crap to be honest.

the work exp girl was crying, and whenever I tried to talk to her about it, she wasn't wanting to talk and crying more. then she was saying she had done everyting, when it wasn't all done, she was doing things when asked but she should be getting a grip of it by now surely?

i swear they better be on their best behaviour or.....ok who am i kidding, il not do anything about it.

im too much of a woos. i think i could possibly crack up tomorrow if anything goes wrong.

poor you kimi .. i had such a nightmare b4 i was going crazzzy !
but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.. im a softie too but not as bad as i was before..
i think you need to fire one of them like said before.. and that should make the rest realize that you aint just talking coz you want to ..!

i had a soft boss once in my first job and she always gave warnings everyday too a group of people.. no-one took her seriously as she was really friendly etc.. but after this guy was late (again) she literally let loose and told him he to go ...and the others stopped taking the mick after that as they realized she really would fire them!

at least the work exp girl aint there for much longer!

Kim, I had a bad day with mine too today so I can't really give advice, just solidarity x

where abouts are you kim I'll come over and pretend to be a salon inspector and put the fear of god into them ha ha
I don't have any staff yet and was a bit of a sofite with clients but I toughened right up after some taking the p i double s lol xx

Hi Kimi
Contact 3 of the interested therapists that have contacted you previously for work

Make sure you expalin to them when you contact them EXACTLY how you wish them to present themselves e.g Workwear - hair makeup - tan - shoes etc.

Arrange a day and time for them to come to your salon SEPARATELY.
Let them know it's a trial [say 4hrs] ... with the view to possible employment, DEPENDING on their performance, presentation and professionalism.

Tell your existing staff NOTHING! ZIP ZILCH ZERO about these person/s arrival.

Arrange your appointments around those times so you are relativley free to show this person around and can supervise the salon as it's happening.

Make sure your other staff are booked or kept busy or have a day off at these times.

Your making changes and need staff that can change and advance with you.
Don't feel guilty or bad about it ... Just do it in a way that makes you feel comfortable but at the same time gets it sorted & you the result you desire ..

Hope that helps

Hello, was reading this thread and i have noticed that young girls today seem to like that scruff bag studenty look. I went out for her friends birthday and one of her little sisters friends had what loooked like a birds nest, big matt in back and non brushed hair (notice the singer keisha dancing around on a toilet seat on MTV you get the idea!). Also when i do teenage girls hair I start to comb and they are like "sorry I never brush my hair".!!!!!! Its like amy whinehouse etc have made it cool to be a scruff!!! Not my cup of tea at all. When I worked in a salon a few years ago they had a notice in the back with rules such as no chipped varnish, no jeans etc, maby if they come in with chipped nails etc you should tell them they need to remove it there and then. Im sure there are lots of girls out there willing to try hard and have a great career, reading your posts you seem like a realy decent person and im sure there are girls out there who would love the oppurtunity to work for you xxxxxxx

Hi Kimi
Contact 3 of the interested therapists that have contacted you previously for work

Make sure you expalin to them when you contact them EXACTLY how you wish them to present themselves e.g Workwear - hair makeup - tan - shoes etc.

Arrange a day and time for them to come to your salon SEPARATELY.
Let them know it's a trial [say 4hrs] ... with the view to possible employment, DEPENDING on their performance, presentation and professionalism.

Tell your existing staff NOTHING! ZIP ZILCH ZERO about these person/s arrival.

Arrange your appointments around those times so you are relativley free to show this person around and can supervise the salon as it's happening.

Make sure your other staff are booked or kept busy or have a day off at these times.

Your making changes and need staff that can change and advance with you.
Don't feel guilty or bad about it ... Just do it in a way that makes you feel comfortable but at the same time gets it sorted & you the result you desire ..

Hope that helps

Excellent advice!!

anne xx

Hello, was reading this thread and i have noticed that young girls today seem to like that scruff bag studenty look. I went out for her friends birthday and one of her little sisters friends had what loooked like a birds nest, big matt in back and non brushed hair (notice the singer keisha dancing around on a toilet seat on MTV you get the idea!). Also when i do teenage girls hair I start to comb and they are like "sorry I never brush my hair".!!!!!! Its like amy whinehouse etc have made it cool to be a scruff!!! Not my cup of tea at all.

I absoluely hate this look. I want to brush their hair.

well today is the day...my list is printed out......we'l see what happens, fully expecting to have to send the better of the two home for the state of her skin. sob.

:D wish me luck!!!!!!!!!

Wishing you luck x

we are a normal colour and we are all working very hard...

yay! progress!!! make sure it doesn't start to slowly slip back to the old ways! :D so glad you have managed to find a way of getting things done that are comfortable for you as a person!
x

yay! result! xxx

Latest posts

Back