Ok to 'thin shame' but not 'fat shame'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been on both ends of the spectrum thin 6-8 and middle sized and then large and trust me you can't win either way around.

When I was thin it was twig,stick,you look ill etc when I was in the middle it was you've put on weigh,or you got a big ass or god you been eating well.Then there is large,your fat, Fu** me what you been eating,jeezus youve got fat etc blahh blahh blahh.I just couldn't win either way.

Me too. I was a size 22 and I dieted and excersised down to an 8-10. I have floated between an 8-12 now for 6 years.
If I felt bad about myself I would talk about how celebs were all airbrushed and didnt eat etc. It was me projecting my insecurities on to others which is exactly what this sort of thing is about...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1384118274828.jpg
    1384118274828.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 1384118300768.jpg
    1384118300768.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 386
But I prefer these... :p

Attachments

• 1384118335366.jpg
    1384118335366.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 67,652
  • 1384118353618.jpg
    1384118353618.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 418
I've seen the ecard edited to have another image underneath saying "no they go for whatever the [BLEEP] they want" lol I'll see if I can find it...
I do think there is an unfair standard going on when people are making reference to folk being thin/fat.
I personally get a little offended when people call me skinny. I worked hard to get to this size 12 figure that helps me to personally feel womanly. No size range is healthy for all, depends on your own body and the size of your skelebob tbh!
I was very thin, and unhappily so, back at school age. Where girls in my year would say "oh I wish I was as skinny as you!!", some of my family teased me, called me twiglet (which they then jokingly called me "trunk" when I managed to up my weight a little). Also my mum weirdly has always grabbed at my tummy making reference to it being fat. Never understood why. But in spite of this I made my own decisions on what I thought was a healthy size for myself and have kept within the healthy BMI range since age 16.
I have a friend who might be considered obese but has lost weight before and put it back in as she personally feels happiest at the size she is now! Someone's happy/healthy size is very individual to them. I think people need to be less judgemental.
But saying that, when I see a very thin celeb in a mag who's doing some crazy diet I do say things like "she needs a burger if owt!" But I think it's the skinny celeb mentality that bugs me most/makes me say this. X

God, you have really had it from every end! Sorry to hear that, you think you're losing weight to feel great & be healthy but then that just gives someone a reason to analyse you!

Noooo don't be sorry lol I couldn't give a damn what others think of me :D.Neither should you.

But I prefer these... :p

Haha brilliant, I love the first one! You hit the nail on the head about projecting your insecurities on to others!

Tigan, I can really sympathise here with you as stress just worsens everything as well as losing more weight then when someone comments on it it seems 1000 times worse! There are more important things to worry about than other peoples weight because you dont know what might be going on with them in their own lives and that has to be taken into account too.

Virtues- That is true and I feel when people feel bad about themselves for eating junk food (which is very easily done these days!) rather than stop, they look down on others weight and try make the other person feel bad about themselves too. I just think it feels good to be able to have a good rant about it for everyone as it isn't talked about much and I know myself I don't like to talk about it anywhere else as you will just end up getting more hassle.

It's good to be able to get it out the system!

Virtues- That is true and I feel when people feel bad about themselves for eating junk food (which is very easily done these days!) rather than stop, they look down on others weight and try make the other person feel bad about themselves too. I just think it feels good to be able to have a good rant about it for everyone as it isn't talked about much and I know myself I don't like to talk about it anywhere else as you will just end up getting more hassle.

It's good to be able to get it out the system![/QUOTE]

Ha ha absolutely ... you keep going ... ..ha ha :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Me too. I was a size 22 and I dieted and excersised down to an 8-10. I have floated between an 8-12 now for 6 years.
If I felt bad about myself I would talk about how celebs were all airbrushed and didnt eat etc. It was me projecting my insecurities on to others which is exactly what this sort of thing is about...

I think every person is beautiful.Thin-fuller figures it's in the person inside.I couldn't care less about peoples figures to be honest,if your happy then great.There is more to life than digging someone out about there weight or making snide comments.I really couldn't give a hoot lol.x

Looking at the programmes that are shown on TV what do you make of the people that are 30 stone plus?

Looking at the programmes that are shown on TV what do you make of the people that are 30 stone plus?

It's a mental illness. I strongly believe that. It would be nieve to think that annorexia etc can kill whilst saying overeating cant

It's a mental illness. I strongly believe that. It would be nieve to think that annorexia etc can kill whilst saying overeating cant

I agree with you. Absolutely.

"Binge eating disorder" is a recognised illness but unfortunately less help is accessible for sufferers compared to the aid available to sufferers of things like anorexia at the other end of the scale. X

Completely right, there are so many ways advertised to help you lose weight be it shows, magazines, books etc. But there isn't half as many things out there for helping gain weight as it isn't just plain & simple as I am always told " eat more", I could easily turn around to the same person & say "ok then, you eat less, there problem solved" its exactly the same thing.

Completely right, there are so many ways advertised to help you lose weight be it shows, magazines, books etc. But there isn't half as many things out there for helping gain weight as it isn't just plain & simple as I am always told " eat more", I could easily turn around to the same person & say "ok then, you eat less, there problem solved" its exactly the same thing.

Metabolism plays a part in this too don't you think? . I have friends that eat what they want when they want and stay the same weight. However I only need the smell of a cake to put on a few pounds. .

Metabolism plays a part in this too don't you think? . I have friends that eat what they want when they want and stay the same weight. However I only need the smell of a cake to put on a few pounds. .

Definately, a few male friends have very fast metabolism & no amount of steak, protein & gym visits seems to be able to change that! Also it can be in your genetics, both my parents were thinner than mevat my age so it's bound to have something to do with that!

I think the media has a lot to do with how we all feel about ourselves and weight. As someone said earlier in the thread one minute the press is saying wow look at this person they are a huge size 12 (!) Then its look at this person a worryingly skinny size 6 then hurray they've gained weight then oh no they're fat! I was a size 12 through being disciplined with my diet & going to the gym 4-5 times a week before having our daughter. I used my pregnancy as an excuse to overeat and gained at least 5 stone going up to a size 18/20. I've lost most of that with just 10lb to go and have settled to a size 14 sometimes 16 thanks to baby boobs that refuse to deflate lol. I'm fairly happy at this but get upset when my naturally thin size 6/8 sister & her same size friends consider that fat. I think we should all just embrace our bodies no matter what shape or size they are - they work & are healthy and isn't that whats important as well as being a nice person.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am the same as you have always fought with my weight and people don't realise how hard it is for people like me to put weight on but I can loose it in an instance its a constant battle people need to understand how hurt full their comments can be xx

It does go both ways. I only have to look at a cake and gain weight which then takes ages to lose. I have a friend who is anorexic and its heartbreaking to see her daily battle with food despite being "recovered". Although I do get angry when I see people who are massively obese and blame everyone and everything for it and use every excuse in the book for being that way. I got fat because I ate too much. I stopped eating so much and lost weight. Weight is such a delicate issue isn't it!?!?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

So why is this ok

Attachments

• 1384124123137.jpg
    1384124123137.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 135
So why is this ok

But if I was to post something like this then I would be blocked and removed from friend lists lol (I dont feel this way and would never put this on FB am just proving a point so sorry if it offends anyone

Attachments

• 1384124238413.jpg
    1384124238413.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 128
I think the media is always constantly banging on about weight (be it too thin or too fat) to such a degree that we're all bloody obsessed with it now! You read a mag like Heat and on the front cover will be unflattering pics of some celeb with a headline like "weight worries of X" then inside the whole article will be about their weight, they even put their actual weight in! (eg X was 8stone 12lb but since her break up has ballooned to 11stone 12lb)!!. I'm sorry but when I was a teenager (a while ago I admit lol) you never in a million years would have someone's actual weight printed in an article - we weren't actually bothered what they bloody weighed!. The same is done to skinny people too! The media is causing us all to have hang ups!

Latest posts

Back