Ok to 'thin shame' but not 'fat shame'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if I was to post something like this then I would be blocked and removed from friend lists lol (I dont feel this way and would never put this on FB am just proving a point so sorry if it offends anyone

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Blimey I've seen this on Facebook numerous times. .. ..however I don't believe we are all politically correct like we all claim to be. . ..If I see a massive person waddling up the road with the tightest off white t-shirt on with a pair of leggings ... Then I will say to 'oh no' ..... automatically the same applies to the person who is 6 stone .... in their own way they are both as unattractive as each other regardless of how they came to be. As wrong as it is, it is a natural reaction the same as seeing 8 toes on one foot!...or the ugliest person who has just one head!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Being thin/slim does NOT make you anorexic. Anorexia is an eating diss order and some people are just naturally thin same as some people are naturally big.

Being thin/slim does NOT make you anorexic. Anorexia is an eating diss order and some people are just naturally thin same as some people are naturally big.

I'm not sure if this was aimed at my post. But to calm the wrath that will be received from the word anorexia - I have removed it. I think reading between the lines you understood what I meant in general.

Totally agree how fustrating it is when people constantly call you skinny and tell you that you need to put weight on bla bla and they think it's totally acceptable to assume you don't eat enough and judge you. It especially gets my goat because for years I was underweight with anorexia at a very young age.. So I'm well aware my BMI is in the healthy range, even if only just lol, and I eat enough and excersise and live a healthy lifestyle. I'll always struggle to keep on the pounds but I do and these people who make stupid remarks are the ones who have no idea about my past. So I completely feel for you on this one even if it's for different reasons. People should think twice before opening there mouths shouldn't they xx

Totally agree how fustrating it is when people constantly call you skinny and tell you that you need to put weight on bla bla and they think it's totally acceptable to assume you don't eat enough and judge you. It especially gets my goat because for years I was underweight with anorexia at a very young age.. So I'm well aware my BMI is in the healthy range, even if only just lol, and I eat enough and excersise and live a healthy lifestyle. I'll always struggle to keep on the pounds but I do and these people who make stupid remarks are the ones who have no idea about my past. So I completely feel for you on this one even if it's for different reasons. People should think twice before opening there mouths shouldn't they xx

Exactly, you dont know what a person has been through & therefore should never make a remark about their weight or appearance, well done for gaining the weight back, cant imagine how frustrating it is for you too! At the end if the day you are healthy & your size shouldn't matter to others! X

It is not ok to comment on someone else’s body, ever! Body shaming of any kind, or of any size, is not acceptable and is something that makes me SO angry! It’s the reason there is so much disordered eating and negative body image problems with women.

Just like those horrible facebook memes - shaming to make yourself/others feel better really winds me up. I would defriend anyone in an instant that posted one of those!

It is not ok to comment on someone else’s body, ever! Body shaming of any kind, or of any size, is not acceptable and is something that makes me SO angry! It’s the reason there is so much disordered eating and negative body image problems with women.

Just like those horrible facebook memes - shaming to make yourself/others feel better really winds me up. I would defriend anyone in an instant that posted one of those!

It is a normal human reaction unfortunately. It will never change, the same as a disfigured person who gets looked and pointed at in the street.. and it happens daily. It isn't nice i know and people are genuinely rude and nosy. It's the same as seeing a fatal accident and stopping to stare at it. Most people do it. Hence the rubberneckers on the motorway. I don't believe for one minute all these replies on this thread are from people that have never looked at a fat/thin person with some judgemental thought process regardless of how small.

It's not right to judge anyone on there size/looks you never know what problems there dealing with.
I've been called fat, skinny, a bag of bones, overweight etc by so many different people and I was anorexic for 5 years but if anyone commented and said I was to skinny it spurred me on to lose more weight. Since then I've put weight on and had two children and even my own family have told me I need to lose weight!! I feel grossly fat and will not have my picture taken but I am determined not to be anorexic again.
I would never dream if making a comment on someone's weight unless it was a family member and I was worried for them but it would be done in a sensitive way x

Before i got pregnant 5 years ago, i was a size 6. I got called skinny, boy-like, ill, anorexic etc .. Fast forward to today where i am a size 14 & i get called fat, whale, chubby, disgusting, wobbly .. You can't win these days

This thread is the story of my life haha.
Slightly off topic but have you seen in the papers the size 16 mannequins (or whatever they're called).
They say this is the average size of a women in the UK!

If 16 is the average size, then that is shocking. Girls will look at them and think it's ok to be overweight.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

It is a normal human reaction unfortunately. It will never change, the same as a disfigured person who gets looked and pointed at in the street.. and it happens daily. It isn't nice i know and people are genuinely rude and nosy. It's the same as seeing a fatal accident and stopping to stare at it. Most people do it. Hence the rubberneckers on the motorway. I don't believe for one minute all these replies on this thread are from people that have never looked at a fat/thin person with some judgemental thought process regardless of how small.

Yes you are probably right but there is a difference between thinking it and saying something hurtful to someone about something that is not anyone's place to comment on.

Slightly off topic but have you seen in the papers the size 16 mannequins (or whatever they're called).

If 16 is the average size, then that is shocking. Girls will look at them and think it's ok to be overweight.

This is exactly the sort of attitude that gets people's backs up

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is exactly the type of attitude that this thread is talking about!

edit, sorry just saw nearlyme beat me to it!

But it is over weight! There's no point hiding it.
Obviously I'd never comment on anyone's weight personally or individually, but this is a mannequin!!

I've been by passing this thread but I'm sorry, I have to comment on this one. I think this is a strange way to view it! Very odd!

If it's the average size, then it's the average size.... So what?! I don't think it means people will look at it and think it's ok to be overweight?! I think this is a huge generalisation. I don't know about you but I know what know I should be, I know my body, metabolism etc.

I'm a firm believer of what's over weight for one, is not necessarily over weight for another! I have a friend who is size 14-16 but she doesn't look over weight, she's very big built 5ft8.

Then look at me- I'm a size 10-12 but if my weight gets to 9 stone I look boney and skinny and get heavily criticised for it!!! I sit much better 9.5 or even 10 stone to be honest! My other friend looks chubby when she gets to 9 stone- she's a much smaller build, shorter etc- the amount of fat on her would be more than the amount of fat on me!

Obviously I'd never comment on anyone's weight personally or individually, but this is a mannequin!!
Not necessarily. Also, if the average size in the UK is a 16 then it makes sense to have mannequins that size.

Isn't the point of this, acceptance of all bodies? They should have a range of different sized mannequins I think!

I don't think it is necessarily over weight!
I think this attitude perpetuates the type of behaviour we are all trying to come away from! Mannequins all being size 0 is unrealistic and does not reflect a true representation of what the average size is.,.. If it's size 16 then it just is and there's no point being unrealistic about it!

I've been by passing this thread but I'm sorry, I have to comment on this one. I think this is a strange way to view it! Very odd!

If it's the average size, then it's the average size.... So what?! I don't think it means people will look at it and think it's ok to be overweight?! I think this is a huge generalisation. I don't know about you but I know what know I should be, I know my body, metabolism etc.

I'm a firm believer of what's over weight for one, is not necessarily over weight for another! I have a friend who is size 14-16 but she doesn't look over weight, she's very big built 5ft8.

Then look at me- I'm a size 10-12 but if my weight gets to 9 stone I look boney and skinny and get heavily criticised for it!!! I sit much better 9.5 or even 10 stone to be honest! My other friend looks chubby when she gets to 9 stone- she's a much smaller build, shorter etc- the amount of fat on her would be more than the amount of fat on me!

Completely agree here! Some people are taller, broader etc.

Making a comment about size big or small just highlights someone's ignorance.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am a size 12/14 on top and 14/16 on the bottom. I play rugby at premiership level a and train at least three times a week often doing far more cardio/weights and fitness than the boys team and I'm sorry but if you think I'm 'unhealthy' or 'overweight then you're deluded. I'm a normal, healthy (probably healthier and fitter than a lot of smaller girls) woman. Yes not all fashions suit me, I dress to my shape. But I don't think a mannequin my size is promoting being overweight. We need to start thinking about health and fitness and dressing to flatter instead of being obsessed with size!

Latest posts

Back