Olympia?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from Olympia I have to say the organisation and queues outside were terrible along with the outside staff who were rude! I was also so disappointed to see so many people there who were obviously not qualified in anything remotely related to the industry and were just there to buy cheap products. The only stand I visited where I was asked to prove that I was a professional was Gerrard International and I commend them for this as quite frankly I don't want any Tom, **** or Harry buying the products that I have spent months of time and effort researching to use in my salon...PHEW *rant over* However my two favourite stands of the day were Sienna X and Crystal Clear, thanks for all your help ladies!

I also feel that any one who knows about how easy it is to register to get in , could have bought the whole kit and colours today and be doing Shellac having watched a video on You tube tomorrow and all for the grand price of £15 !!! Have just seen a mobile tech advertising this price in my county .
Feeling a bit down as I feel I can't charge £25 hands £30 toes now. :-(

i totally agree! theres no way i will paying to do a course with CND now!

I also feel that any one who knows about how easy it is to register to get in , could have bought the whole kit and colours today and be doing Shellac having watched a video on You tube tomorrow and all for the grand price of £15 !!! Have just seen a mobile tech advertising this price in my county .

I don't use Shellac yet but from a customer's point of view, I would wonder why she is so cheap when the going rate is £10 more. Stick to your prices unless you want to enter into some sort of price war, you never know this might be an introductory rate that she'll put up soon. I was charging £18 for Bio Sculpture before my assessment as I felt that I'd had enough practice to give a good service but fully intended to put my prices up which I now have. In the mean time an experienced Bio tech in my area has put her prices down to match my model rate! Silly really, I've got no intention of competing like that.

We had a great time, I love the buzz, S2 Show offers are amazing and it was great to hear the feed back in the queue, how they all love Shellac, how they love Minx , seeing what can be done with it wohoo and hey have you seen those glitzy lips, amazing ain't it!!!!! That's what a show for me is all about, people talking passionately about what's happening in our industry. People getting excited about sharing all this with their clients.
For me the new colours for Shellac where my main reason to go, to find out that there where special show offers was such a huge bonus.

My highlights from today where:
Chocolate Pickle,Up to Scratch, Rachel and my baby girl Faye sitting on the floor, having a coffee, yes floor, no chairs left, but hey who cares. Having a right old Shellac discussion, planning our next work of art with Shellac and Minx. Having a good old hug fest at the stands. Renewing my ABT insurance and finding out that it was far less there on the day, then on the net and having a years worth of SCRATCH added to that for good measure. Taking in Fee's Shellac art demo, which was great and I am so glad I went.

So I have just worked out my saving, my time to queue was 3 hours in total, my savings today where £200, so that means I got paid for this at £66.66 an hour. Just my way of looking at it lol xxxx

I am back tomorrow for some more looking around but less buying. I love my job, our industry and all that comes with it lol..... xxxx

Oh huni dont' feel down about that.
Will they learn what you have learned on your course? nope doubt it! Will they be able to call on their Ambassador for back up, nope!
Will they be able to order more, when they run out, nope, not unless they are registered. Will their insurance cover them?
You have the right to charge what you charge because you are a CND Shellac service provider! Big difference from someone that wants to cash in on the quick and may not turn out a great Shellac manicure.
Youtube can be a great back up training tool, but is never a replacement for great education.

So be proud and don't worry about anybody else xxxx

i totally agree! theres no way i will paying to do a course with CND now!

Don't get me wrong hun, I would still do the training with CND as it is worth every penny . I did 1-2-1 and loved it.

Somehow things have to be tightened up , as I even had family asking tonight if I needed my account number to buy my products ???!!!

I don't use Shellac yet but from a customer's point of view, I would wonder why she is so cheap when the going rate is £10 more. Stick to your prices unless you want to enter into some sort of price war, you never know this might be an introductory rate that she'll put up soon. I was charging £18 for Bio Sculpture before my assessment as I felt that I'd had enough practice to give a good service but fully intended to put my prices up which I now have. In the mean time an experienced Bio tech in my area has put her prices down to match my model rate! Silly really, I've got no intention of competing like that.

Thanks hun, I will stick to my prices, but I feel down as I have invested a lot of money in Shellac, and I realised that it was easily possible for a non trained Tech to buy today , go to a trained tech and have it done once or twice to see how it is done and start selling the service for peanuts.
I was going to do pedi shellac's for £5 more than hands but the local salon does them both for the same price and I have already had a "FYI" txt from a friend telling me I am overcharging.
Now this mobile tech is advertising it so cheap , what chance do I have to get started.?

I think a lot of salons do not do a full Shellac service, so I for one cannot wait for the Shellac Accreditation to start , and it needs to be without warning, to be able to catch them out .

Last edited:
I totally agree with 'Nailsinlondon1' there is no comparison for correct training and workmanship.
There are lots of people out there doing shoddy work - they do not keep customers... only 'offer seekers!' set yourself apart from the rest and aim to be 'one of the best!' Good training will pay for itself.
I love Shellac and so do my customers. You will find clients are willing to pay for good service and a product that works! Stick with it!! Good luck:)

Oh huni dont' feel down about that.
Will they learn what you have learned on your course? nope doubt it! Will they be able to call on their Ambassador for back up, nope!
Will they be able to order more, when they run out, nope, not unless they are registered. Will their insurance cover them?
You have the right to charge what you charge because you are a CND Shellac service provider! Big difference from someone that wants to cash in on the quick and may not turn out a great Shellac manicure.
Youtube can be a great back up training tool, but is never a replacement for great education.

So be proud and don't worry about anybody else xxxx
Thank you , maybe I am too tired.

I need to sleep on it and hope I have made the right move in leaving my career to do this.
I do love it though , and did enjoy today .x.

Yadagi - I charge the same for hands and feet regular Shellac with supplements for Rockstar Nails and Nail art crystal work. hth.
Agree with you totally on the accreditation scheme. I will be looking into accrediting my business:)

Can I just mention that had I not been restrained by my husband I would have happily punched the people who ran over my feet with their bloody pull along suitcases.

Ha ha, Lynne you do make me laugh, have to agree there was lots of cases there x

I only went to get the new Shellac colours, I totally forgot about them doing show deals so was very very happy with my savings & ended up buying much more than than I planned because I couldn't resist all the S2 deals :biggrin:
I got there at 9.30, then when the doors opened at 10am went straight to get my Shellac & only qued for about 15mins, then had a quick look round & left by 1pm.
I am now sporting all 6 colours on my nails, couldn't make my mind up & wanted to try them all out, my favourite is Asphalt followed by Purple Purple.
I wonder what the next lot of colours will be?! x

Afraid I don't have time to read this whole thread but S2 were really good to me, can't really say how in case it pees people off but the girls recognised I couldn't really stand for a long long time and looked after me really well. Also I imagine we can't quote numbers on here but the deal with the lamp is exceptionally good. I also bought lava shell training, again, can't say how much but I thought it was a great deal:D

Am even more fed up I didn't get to go now, now I'm hearing about the savings on Shellac as I still have a few to get. B***er!

Am even more fed up I didn't get to go now, now I'm hearing about the savings on Shellac as I still have a few to get. B***er!
Am also gutted I didn't get to go, which makes me even more determined to get to manchester in oct, I hope they will have same deals on, anyone know?? Would love all of the new shellac colours but may wait for proof beauty if savings are good! :)

I loved the show!
If I hadn't wanted to queue for 2 hours I wouldn't have gone, I would have ordered it from S2 tomorrow. But I did!! Shellac is the best thing to have happened to my business and if it wasn't for my shellac clients I wouldn't have a business! So 2 hours in a queue chatting to other shellac lovers and watching the demos, listening to the q&a's was really not a chore.
I had my budget for the new colours so was really pleased to see the show offers, I would have bought it anyway. Now I have a spare lamp too :0)
Being part of the buzz around the stand was great and I was proud to know I'm part of it. I know I'm offering the shellac system by the book and will put my energy into my own service instead of worrying about the cheap inferior set-ups on offer.
I have plenty of genuine regular shellac clients- they're happy and so am I :0)
Thankyou s2, cnd and shellac!!

Am also gutted I didn't get to go, which makes me even more determined to get to manchester in oct, I hope they will have same deals on, anyone know?? Would love all of the new shellac colours but may wait for proof beauty if savings are good! :)

Ooo I didn't know there was one in Manchester, wonder if I can get to that one instead. Will S2 be at that one? Is it the same as Olympia in terms of who is there? Might wait then and not order new colours tomorrow if I might get a better deal at the show. Will have a google :)

Ooo I didn't know there was one in Manchester, wonder if I can get to that one instead. Will S2 be at that one? Is it the same as Olympia in terms of who is there? Might wait then and not order new colours tomorrow if I might get a better deal at the show. Will have a google :)
Yes have a look it's professional beauty 16 & 17 th oct manchester central, originally I thought there was no cnd there but after searching again they were under S2! have already looked at trains, I'm hoping offers will be as good as they. Sounded great, which means rather than order tomorrow I will wait!

To Planky1

I have only been to Manchester once but it was a really good show. I have no idea if S2 are going to be there but I would imagine it will be a better show than Olympia because it is the main or possibly only show in the North whereas Olympia is generally smaller than Excel in London.

I thought Olympia was amazing yesterday!! I had heard that the queues would be massive so I made sure I was there waiting outside at 9am!! Was one of the 1st line to buy the new Shellac colours and got a bit carried away and blew my budget! Was so tired when I got home last night however, I couldn't wait to try out my Shellac so I had my sister round and I Shellac'ed her fingernails and toenails. My favourite has got to be Purple Purple. x

Well, I am soooo dissapointed!! I went to Olympia with the intention of investing in Shellac but as the queues were on average 2 hours long and I have a back problem, there is no way that I could queue up for that length of time. I phoned sweet squared this morning and explained the situation and asked if I could order over the phone instead and they said no! So I've just missed out on a fab opportunity. Can't believe they didn't have more staff to cope with the massive queues, they must have known it would be a sellout!. Also, S2 have just informed me that the Shellac Attack training is also not free with the salon rack and lamp anymore either! and they even put VAT on the (used to be free) class!!!!
Can't afford all this so that's that:cry: xx

Latest posts

Back