Pedicure question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavander Rose

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have a client who comes to me every 3 weeks for a massage and she also has her eyebrows waxed from me she is a very reliable regular client.

Question: she has been having problems with her feet she told me that she has tortoiseshell nails on her big toes.

I have never come across this in any of my pedicures so not sure if I can treat her?? when she was in last she mentioned about me doing a pedicure for her.

I am OK about doing the treatment but wanted advise from any of you lot,

What would you suggest I could do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya,

Sounds like she may have really ridged toenails...did you ask to see them?

She may need to go to the chiropodist first to check it is okay for you to perform your pedi...I probably wouldn't touch her feet until then.

Make sure you do a through consultation with her.

Good luck x

Hi

thanx for the reply.

She has been going to a cheropodist for many years ive been told, but he is elderly now and is having problems with his sight.

She does,nt want to go to anyone else as she is embarrased and would,nt feel comfortable.

She has asked me as she is a regular client of mine and feels comfortable and confident coming to me, which is a great compliment for me.

I have had a look at her nails both nails are growing into her nail bed like ingrowing nails do and she has a big build up of nail underneath too.

she has been recommended to have them removed but has stated that it is out of the question. and wants to see if I could do anything.

The only thing that I think I could do is clip them down, file them to make her walking more comfortable and the nail walls are tender to the touch she said.

I dont mind having a go as I am confident in what I do, but wanted opinions from everyone else.

From what you describe, I would only give her a pedicure if she gave me a doctors note.

I am particularly cautious when treating elderly clients.

I had a similar situation, not the same condition, but my client would rather have had me treat her than go her pediatrist.

After treating her for a few months it got the point where I had to refuse her service, the condition had worsened.

You are a professional and only you know the point where you will be unable to continue service. If you think that she is still treatable, then by all means, try and help the poor woman.

You are a professional and only you know the point where you will be unable to continue service. If you think that she is still treatable, then by all means, try and help the poor woman.

So long as you would be covered by your insurance company.:rolleyes:

Hi

thanx for the reply.

She has been going to a cheropodist for many years ive been told, but he is elderly now and is having problems with his sight.

She does,nt want to go to anyone else as she is embarrased and would,nt feel comfortable.

She has asked me as she is a regular client of mine and feels comfortable and confident coming to me, which is a great compliment for me.

I have had a look at her nails both nails are growing into her nail bed like ingrowing nails do and she has a big build up of nail underneath too.

she has been recommended to have them removed but has stated that it is out of the question. and wants to see if I could do anything.

The only thing that I think I could do is clip them down, file them to make her walking more comfortable and the nail walls are tender to the touch she said.

I dont mind having a go as I am confident in what I do, but wanted opinions from everyone else.

I definitely wouldn't treat this lady without a G.P note. You can never be too careful xxx

You may be a professional therapist, but you are definitely not a professional chiropodist or podiatrist.

You can do a pedicure but not treat her condition or even try to .. for that she needs an expert in the field ... there are plenty about.

I really would encourage her to see another chiropodist.It may be a blessing for her.If she had a really old one for years that couldn't see it maybe with a younger one with maybe more up to date methods they may be able to treat her more effectively.
If she is in pain now you are only going to prolong that pain as you will not be able to treat her ,she needs to get to a professional asap.

I would recommend that you have a quick look for yourself, while she's in for another treatment. If you don't feel as if there is any risk then you can do the pedi. Otherwise you can explain your position and advise she sees her GP or chiropodist.

Quite a lot of older people get a build up of skin underneath their big toes, which is very uncomfortable. You can remove with an orange stick. Its quite normal unless its some weird colour (i.e. green - yuck)

HTH

Latest posts

Back