Peeved off Geek!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy-Jayne

Reaction score
Morning Geeks....

You know what, you're the only people who will listen to me!

Further to a post earlier on in the week about a Flyer drop gone wrong, I had a response the next morning from someone who lived in my close.

I saw her the same evening for a soak off of existing set (had been on 4 weeks, some had fallen off, some had lifted - you know the score!) and sculpted a new set. I charged £5 for the soak off (even though it took 45 mins as so thick!) and £35 for the full set (pink and Creative Twilight).

Now, I've had a text from her this morning saying:

"Hi it's Val from no 17. chipped one nail already. but like the thinness. Not sure about the colours. Prefer white tips. I think for you to be competitive you need to reduce your price as my usual salon charges the same price. Will come back in two weeks. Val x"

I suppose it's good news she want't to come back, but is she looking for a discount... Now - do I reply to this?! I know for a fact her salon charges more than me - I researched this before setting my prices. They charge £40 for just a pink set and £45 for pink and white. And I should expect more for a soak off.

I'm happy with my prices due to the products I use, and the experience I have. The only thing is that I'm new to the area and don't want her going around saying I'm too expensive when I know I'm not! She's also the one who knows everyone in my Close and she could easily put people off.

Any tips Geeks?!

ALSO, I had an accident with a knife last night cutting onions. Sliced my thumb and luckily the acrylic on my nails stopped it going any further. Sliced my eponychium and everything until it meets the acrylic! What a muppet I am! Luckily had a doc appointment this morning anyway and he took one look then decided to glue to the cut back together. Hoping this will heal ok and my lovely nails won't be ruined!

Sorry for having a moan! The boyfriend just doesn't understand!!!

L-J xx

stick to your guns with your prices! Clients will always try it on when your are new to an area. Dont let this client put you off and it does take a great deal of time to build up a mobile business with a regular group of clients so just grit your teeth and stick at it.

If your client wasnt happy with what you had done then she wouldnt want to come back in two weeks.

p.s. hope your finger gets better soon.

Why shouldn't you charge the same? If you and your clients are happy with your work then you should be paid what you are worth.

Sounds to me like she's trying it on hun.

Thanks Oey!

I think I may say something like:

'Hi Val, thanks for your comments. When I moved to the area I researched a lot of local salons with regards to their prices. I know the one in question charges at least £45 for a full set of pink and whites and most probably extra for a soak off as well. I'm happy that my prices are competitive as all of my other clients are happy.....'

This is as far as I've got so far!

Because I work from home, I can be flexible with times and I think it's a lovely environment too - this is a positive!

I just don't want her badmouthing me around the close! Bad press travels faster than good press!

Why shouldn't you charge the same? If you and your clients are happy with your work then you should be paid what you are worth.

Sounds to me like she's trying it on hun.

Hi Sals!

I've gone a bit lower because I'm working from home with hardly any overheads.

BTW, I'm handing out flyers in Walton tomorrow, sorry if any of your clients from Weybridge accidentally get one!

Honestly hun, i think she's just trying it on and if you are polite but firm, what can she bad mouth you about. Stick to your pricing!

From a personal perspective, i'd have more respect and be more likely to recommend someone who didn't just drop their prices at the drop of a het and was prepared to stick to their own worth.

If someone dropped prices on me immediately i'd actually presume they were a bit desperate for business, and would leave me wondering!

Thanks Oey!

I think I may say something like:

'Hi Val, thanks for your comments. When I moved to the area I researched a lot of local salons with regards to their prices. I know the one in question charges at least £45 for a full set of pink and whites and most probably extra for a soak off as well. I'm happy that my prices are competitive as all of my other clients are happy.....'

This is as far as I've got so far!

Because I work from home, I can be flexible with times and I think it's a lovely environment too - this is a positive!

I just don't want her badmouthing me around the close! Bad press travels faster than good press!

Hey hun :green:

Your text sounds good, you're being civilzed and polite, but I don't think you should have to justify yourself to this client (which you are doing in this text) as it really is unnecessary.

I'm sure this client knew your prices before having the service. Therefore, she was obviously happy with the price or she wouldn't have had the service. Now she is just trying her luck.

How about a text saying - " Hi Val, hope you're well. Just to clarify, I charge £35 for a full set, £xx for infills, and £5 for a soak off. I'm quite happy to discuss your requirements regards the style of your nails and the white tips you mentioned at your next appointment. I look forward to seeing you in two weeks!"

Really is no need for you to say any more.

Good luck xx

some people....does she moan to tesco that asda is selling baked beans for less....i am sure there answer would be "go to asda then" !!!

she has no right telling you what you should be charging...i would nip this one right in the bud...otherwise she sounds like the sort who thinks she has a god given right to boss you around.

How about a text saying - " Hi Val, hope you're well. Just to clarify, I charge £35 for a full set, £xx for infills, and £5 for a soak off. I'm quite happy to discuss your requirements regards the style of your nails and the white tips you mentioned at your next appointment. I look forward to seeing you in two weeks!"

Really is no need for you to say any more.

Good luck xx

Great, thanks for that! I suppose I just got panicky! You never want to lose someone, just as you gained them! xx

Hi Sals!

I've gone a bit lower because I'm working from home with hardly any overheads.

BTW, I'm handing out flyers in Walton tomorrow, sorry if any of your clients from Weybridge accidentally get one!

:lol::lol::lol:

I might have to pop in to town and sabotage you! :green:

:lol::lol::lol:

I might have to pop in to town and sabotage you! :green:

Either that or we could go for a coffee! Got my other half's niece doing the handing out! I get too nervous!

I've just text her.... I'll await a reply!!

\
This sounds good to me.
I wouldn't explain to her WHY you have priced the way you have it has aberloutly nothing to do with her,
You have done your research and are happy with your prices so leave it as it is hunny,

I'd have a good talk to her about chipping her nail so soon...length, shape may not be suitable for her lifestyle ...then give her some aftercare too...

she will soon see how "professional" you are
and that you cant be made to feel bad by a client (in other words ....blag it all the way lol)

If she was "that" happy with her other salon..she wouldn't have considered coming to you in the first place...I wouldn't worry hun xxx:hug:

Will definitely see what her chip looks like. I did all my client consultation when I first saw her and have never had a chip on anyone else so maybe there's something she's not telling me!

Maybe she sliced it off with a knife like I nearly did my thumb!!

Will definitely see what her chip looks like.

Am I correct in assuming she is going to go for 2 weeks with a chip in her nail ? If thats the case it's a bit slack of her.

Am I correct in assuming she is going to go for 2 weeks with a chip in her nail ? If thats the case it's a bit slack of her.

I know tell me about it. I did put in my text back to her that if she wanted to pop round to sort it out to let me know, and I'd fit her in.

When she originally came over she said how she was pretty rubbish at mainting her nails every couple of weeks. I mentioned that if she left them longer than 3 weeks I would charge more etc for the upkeep. Didn't seem to phase her.

I don't understand how some people can go around with their nails looking cr*p! Or chipped for that matter. It would drive me nuts. What's the point in having them done if you're not going to go along with the up keep.

There's no telling some people though is there?!

I agree with what has been said. You will always find somebody who will try to get a discount or a freebie. Stick to your guns and don't budge. You don't have to justify your reasons either. Your prices are your prices. If she chipped her nail then it is her fault. Offer to repair it for her but at a cost of course as it is your professional time.

We'd all like everything a bit cheaper, but I wouldn't go into M&S and ask them to drop their prices as I can buy things cheaper in Primark! She has a choice if she'd not happy with the price why is she using you to start with!-my guess would be that she can't get the same quality if treatment cheaper elsewhere, and for a very good reason.

Cheeky woman.:smack:

Stick to what you are doing x

Thanks everyone for your advice.

She hasn't text me back yet so I'm hoping she's got the message.

I just can't believe she text me asking in the first place! I think it's quite rude. I'd never have the guts to ask someone who's in business to drop their prices.

I didn't ask for her advice! It's my business not hers. She's probably one of those people who thinks that just because you do it at home it's a hobby. It's not!

Oh god, I'm getting ratty now! Damn the boyfriend for being in meetings all day and not allowing me to take the frustration out on him!

If you feel like you are worth the prices you set ...leave them.....if she is happy with your work/services she will pay the price.......

never let a client tell you what you should be charging ....it's none of there business....also just because you are home based noes not make it anymore unprofessional ....its just another location that nails are being done at .....

I'm a home based business as well.....I'm also higher priced than my surrounding salons......BUT !!! I feel I'm worth every penny I charge ...and when clients come to me they see why.....and refer other peeps to me ....they have never complained about my prices as they love the results and what I do for them

Latest posts

Back