Please help - waxing behind knees/on inner arms?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty Napalm

Reaction score
Hey,

I was doing waxing earlier today at college (the last day of my module, I don't go back until February now!)

Our tutor had taught us NEVER to wax behind the knees, or on the inner arms, because 'that's where the blood supply is.' She didn't elaborate more than that.

Well this afternoon, the girl who was practising on me (waxing my forearms) spread wax onto my inner arm [inside the elbow]. I reminded her we're not supposed to do that, but she ignored me, and waxed the area anyway. I really wasn't sure about it so I went to ask my tutor, who went a bit crazy at the girl for doing it. She didn't take it any further though and just told the girl to put aloe vera on the area.

I'm a bit confused why waxing these areas is not advised? Is it very dangerous? Because now I'm worried that something's going to happen to me! Or is it just because the area can bruise easily (it hasn't on me and looks OK). My husband just said that he thinks it's because the skin is so thin there, and there are prominent veins, so if the skin breaks from waxing trauma it would be easy to hit the vein.

Can anyone shed some light (and put my mind at ease)? :)

xx

Your husband is right this area is thinner and does bruise easily , i have alot of asian clients and they ask me to do that area but i still avoid it unless they ask.

yes it is because those areas can bruise easily due to the skin being so thin however as long as the skin is stretched well i find it is fine to wax over those areas.

Thanks very much both of you, at least I know for sure now! :)

xx

Funny how your tutor couldn't elaborate........does she know the answer? Maybe you should press her for some facts.

I always wax over those areas. Keep you wax nice and thin and stretch the skin to support it.

If we don't hear back from you on this one......we'll assume that it really is dangerous to wax behind the knees :) Don't worry, you'll be fine. HONEST! xx

Last edited:
I wax all my clients in these areas,
as kim has said keep the wax thin and stretch the skin taught and all will be well,
in the real world these areas (and many more you wont have ever imagined) are waxed,
clients would go mad in the real world if you left them with hairs behind their knees, :hug:

I was never told that lol... I always wax behind the knees

The thing that worries me is that you let her wax those areas!
There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't wax there but you thought there was and yet you still let her go ahead. Luckily for you it is perfectly safe but if you are ever in any doubt then you really shouldn't let people do anything that your aren't comfortable with.
Anyway, back to the question-lol.
I've always waxed behind knees. As for the skin being thin,well, we wax scrotums and all sorts very successfully and you can't get much thinner skin than that :)

Hi Kitty.

I too wax over both of these areas. Also if you do get someone that wants the inner elbow crease waxed and it has been warm, i use a bit of talc to absorbe the moisture to stop the wax pulling and damaging the skin.

Hth

Carla-Jane xxx
Posted via Mobile Device

Angelina221: I tried to stop her but it was super difficult! Basically she was a very rude girl and wouldn't care to listen to a thing I said all day. When I saw her put the wax on that area, I said to her 'No, I don't think you're supposed to wax there.' She said 'OK,' and removed the rest of the wax around that area. Then she put the paper strip above the inside elbow, and I said again, 'No, don't do that.' She looked like she was not going to, then before I knew it she'd slammed the strip down onto the area and then ripped it off! I was absolutely furious as you can imagine. I honestly thought me telling her not to do it was enough and I could trust her - I was obviously wrong!

She also tried to do my other arm to match (after I'd shown my tutor what she'd done to the first one and she'd been told not to do it again). She pointed out that there was a bit of hair on the inside elbow, and I said I didn't care because we'd been told not to do it. She basically argued with me for two minutes, it was insane.

Thanks everyone for your replies though - it's reassuring to know that lots of you still do it. I'm glad to hear that it's not that taboo then, I just wasn't keen on ignoring our tutor whilst I'm in class!

xx

Wow she sounds a nightmare-lol.

I too was taught to be careful in this area both in waxing and in putting too much pressure on in massage.
Behind the knee is known as the popliteal space,The femoral artery runs down the leg fairly close to the surface and there are also a large group of lymph nodes in that area but then so has the groin and armpit.There are more blood vessels and nerves here to supply the knee.
It can be sensitive in that area and you should be aware of any varicose or distended veins and not wax over them.It can also be an area of pain as it can also be prone to inflamation due to rheumatoid arthritisswelling fluid retention etc, but you should discover any of this in a consultation and also by using your common sense.
When i wax the area i just treat it more gently than the rest of the legs think of it more as an armpit.
When i massage or put wax aftercare on i automatically relax some of the pressure over it and then carry on up.

I bruised someones inner elbow when training so learnt the hard way to really stretch the skin and put the wax on really thin. :hug:

I too was told at college not to wax over these areas because it's thinner and more easily bruises. I do warm very near these areas as you wouldn't want hairs missed but over the creases themselves if I have to wax over them I only do it the once and hold skin tight and in smaller sections. It's not dangerous over than it being a bit sensitive.

Isn't it funny how everywhere teaches you different. I'm sure they make up their own rules as they go along.
I have always waxed these areas, unless I have an old lady or my client has varicous veins
xxx

Latest posts

Back