Please Read, concerns home based salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenny2

Reaction score
After reading a thread on nail geek yesterday off i went on my travels to the council. I had already spoken with them in the past, but they did not really raise an eyebrow.
Any way as of twelve oclock today my home salon is now shut. I was advised that i would be liable for a 1000 pounds in business tax, but would be given up to a 50% discount with me being a small business. They then said some one will be out to measure up and then u will be advised by post. I then got sent to planning, were i was told that any body who has people coming to the home for treatments or business reasons requires planning permision. The cost of this application is £385, but i would imagine this differs from council to council. Because i only have one parking space, even though i allow for that for my ladies and i park my car else were, then i will not be given permission unless i build a new drive way, which could cost me in the region of £2000, as i am on a slight banking. They said if i do not follow this procedure and am to be found out i am working with out these plans in place, i will be find horrendously. More than any drive way, she said we are coming down on people and are checking out leaflets from drops etc. I am a mum with two disabled children, struggle for child care, if i earn to much i am penalised and try to work from home and i shot down in a blink. I have no idea what i am going to do now, but please guys before u go out and spend a fortune on kit look into it first, and if u have a nail bar in the corner of a room u are still liable for business rates and require permission.

I am really sorry to hear this Jenny, it is hard enough at the moment trying to make a living without the bloody Council changing their tune with regards to permission etc.

A friend of mine has just approached our local council (trafford) and has been told that she doesn't need any permissions nor will she be charged any business rates. So I guess you are right in that it differs from council to council, but this in my opinion just isn't fair. Why should one person be able to trade legally under one council's durisdiction whilst another stands to be fined? Just doesn't seem right.

Jenny,
get some advice about this, contact your local biz link and get a meeting immediately with them.
At the end of the day you approached the council before and was told no worries, now they've changed their tune but you've already gone ahead.

Gordon Brown is banging on about supporting small businesses, I really think if you get some advice you may well get a retraction.

hiya jenny

wow i really dont no what to say about this but its bang out of order, your not far away from me so id call nottingham business venture NBV Small Business Development and Support i see them in kirkby, give them a ring and try and get a meeting with steve i dont no what id do with out him he'l give the council a for you! :hug:

Have had a little good news. my hubby works all day so his car will not be here, if i can find, which i have alternative off road parking for my car, then the drive will be soley for clients in the day which is good. i have to put a letter together tonight so fingers crossed all shoul be well, xx

Good luck Jenny, hope all goes ok with the council and remember you can always dispute the business rates if you think it is to high and they will review it. let us know how you get on.

After reading a thread on nail geek yesterday off i went on my travels to the council. I had already spoken with them in the past, but they did not really raise an eyebrow.
Any way as of twelve oclock today my home salon is now shut. I was advised that i would be liable for a 1000 pounds in business tax, but would be given up to a 50% discount with me being a small business. They then said some one will be out to measure up and then u will be advised by post. I then got sent to planning, were i was told that any body who has people coming to the home for treatments or business reasons requires planning permision. The cost of this application is £385, but i would imagine this differs from council to council. Because i only have one parking space, even though i allow for that for my ladies and i park my car else were, then i will not be given permission unless i build a new drive way, which could cost me in the region of £2000, as i am on a slight banking. They said if i do not follow this procedure and am to be found out i am working with out these plans in place, i will be find horrendously. More than any drive way, she said we are coming down on people and are checking out leaflets from drops etc. I am a mum with two disabled children, struggle for child care, if i earn to much i am penalised and try to work from home and i shot down in a blink. I have no idea what i am going to do now, but please guys before u go out and spend a fortune on kit look into it first, and if u have a nail bar in the corner of a room u are still liable for business rates and require permission.

Any home being used for business purposes requires planning permission. And then on top of that you are not always covered on your home insurance for public liabilty, so you need extra cover for that, then theres the business rates.

If your neighbours are fine with your business being their (and they obviously dont mind,otherwise someone would have been on the door already) then planning is easy. Its only likely that one extra car will be there so no difference to a friend visiting. The planning permission is simple change of use that shouldnt cost more than £75.

Dont forget though the advantages. You can charge your business rent from your home to off set against tax (if your ltd) and also a proportion of your gas and electricity bills can also be offset.

Yes theres pros and cons but in the end they all balance out.

Dont let that stop you, the plannings a doddle, I have done change of use applications many times. Just make sure your neighbours are on your side!!!

Kate

I am really sorry to hear this Jenny, it is hard enough at the moment trying to make a living without the bloody Council changing their tune with regards to permission etc.

A friend of mine has just approached our local council (trafford) and has been told that she doesn't need any permissions nor will she be charged any business rates. So I guess you are right in that it differs from council to council, but this in my opinion just isn't fair. Why should one person be able to trade legally under one council's durisdiction whilst another stands to be fined? Just doesn't seem right.

Is that trafford manchester?? I had a party plan business and was ok in my house there but when I started doing mobile beauty I had to get change of use!!

I got it but then went into an upstairs premises round the corner but they were offices and had to go through the process of change of use again.

Trafford are more laid back though than Manchester city council!

Kate

Have had a little good news. my hubby works all day so his car will not be here, if i can find, which i have alternative off road parking for my car, then the drive will be soley for clients in the day which is good. i have to put a letter together tonight so fingers crossed all shoul be well, xx

Dont let this get you on a downer Jenny..as offerd..do a draft letter..wack me a copy and I will see if I can assist by adding anything else....I would suggest you include the fact that you do have disabled children and therefore you need to work from home kind of thing..this will get you a big sympathy vote from them :hug:

I would be inclined to also state that in so far as your overall buisness is concerned you are also a mobile theropist and therefore dont use the premises all the time..you may get a discounted rateable value for this??

Requirement sure do vary from area to area but when I was home based, I was advised that so long as my work space infringed in some way on my living space I would not have to pay business rates, ie if you worked from a spare room (with say a sofa bed in it which you use as a guest room) you would not pay business rates BUT if your work space was totally independent to your living space, ie had its own entrance, etc, you would be liable.

Hopefully you will be able to work something out x

Requirement sure do vary from area to area but when I was home based, I was advised that so long as my work space infringed in some way on my living space I would not have to pay business rates, ie if you worked from a spare room (with say a sofa bed in it which you use as a guest room) you would not pay business rates BUT if your work space was totally independent to your living space, ie had its own entrance, etc, you would be liable.

Hopefully you will be able to work something out x

This was the way I understood the situation re business rates - you should only be liable for space used EXCLUSIVELY for business. Also, if liable for rates the amount is set according to square footage of the area plus facilities (eg customer toilet etc) so if you only have a small room it shouldn't be so expensive.

Any home being used for business purposes requires planning permission. And then on top of that you are not always covered on your home insurance for public liabilty, so you need extra cover for that, then theres the business rates.

If your neighbours are fine with your business being their (and they obviously dont mind,otherwise someone would have been on the door already) then planning is easy. Its only likely that one extra car will be there so no difference to a friend visiting. The planning permission is simple change of use that shouldnt cost more than £75.

Dont forget though the advantages. You can charge your business rent from your home to off set against tax (if your ltd) and also a proportion of your gas and electricity bills can also be offset.

Yes theres pros and cons but in the end they all balance out.

Dont let that stop you, the plannings a doddle, I have done change of use applications many times. Just make sure your neighbours are on your side!!!

Kate

Why have they told me it £385 pound then hun, surely they can not expect me to build a new drive, x

This was the way I understood the situation re business rates - you should only be liable for space used EXCLUSIVELY for business. Also, if liable for rates the amount is set according to square footage of the area plus facilities (eg customer toilet etc) so if you only have a small room it shouldn't be so expensive.

I gonna look into this, thank u hunxxx

I'm so sorry to hear about the problem your having with your local council.

I do not understand why they would try to make things awkward for people trying to make a living.

Personally I would put a few household bits in your treatment area, not enough to invade on your working area but enough to make it look like a dual purpose room.

I would also put on your website and other literature that you offer a mobile service...the council may give you a discounted rate....and if you are able to offer this service option it may open another avenue for you in terms of clients.

Write to the council explaining in as much detail about how you operate (explain about the cars not being on a drive therefore having space to accommodate clients) let them know about your children, maybe if they understand why you work from home they may be a little more understanding.

I really hope you get this sorted soon xx big hugs xx

I too was told i didn't need any kind of planning permission and didn't need to pay biz rates as the room was used for personal use as well as for business. I would get it checked hun xx

Why have they told me it £385 pound then hun, surely they can not expect me to build a new drive, x

Is that for the planning permission for your drive or change of use. They have two prices which is often misleading. Change of use shouldnt be that much because they dont have to really do any leg work. Basically they send a letter to your neighbours to see if they object and they will ask how many cars at any one time will need access to your property and if theres any smells (more if your a restaurant).

If only one clients with you at any time then its not cluttering your road or causing traffic mayhem. What they have to consider would be if you had loads of traffic travelling to and fro your address causing traffic jams or parking problems for your neighbours. One car is more than acceptable for it to be on the road or your drive.

Have a chat to business link. They often have someone who can give you some freebie advice or join your local business network club. Theres often solicitors etc there and I befriend them for some freebie and often invaluable advice.

I would ask to have a meeting again with someone - this time armed with all the advice off the geeks above and get in writing what it is you have to do.

I hope you get it sorted. It always sounds more frightening than it is, in truth the council and government will help people like you that have asked for help and want to comply with their rules. The council will have on record that you approched them and want to be legal and above board so often there alot more leniant. They only fine those people that deliberatly break the rules or turn a blind eye.

Let us know how you get on.

Kate

:rolleyes:
Hi Jenny,
I hope this gets sorted out. As I understand it and from the governments planning booklet which I assume most councils adhere to :-

"WORKING FROM HOME​
You do not necessarily need planning permission to work from home. The
key test is whether the overall character of the dwelling will change as a
result of the business. If the answer to any of the following questions is
‘yes’, then permission will probably be needed:​
u​
Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private residence?

u​
Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?

u​
Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?
u
Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or
create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?
Whatever business you carry out from your home, whether it involves
using part of it as a bed-sit or for ‘bed and breakfast’ accommodation, using
a room as your personal office, providing a childminding service, using rooms
for hairdressing, dressmaking or music teaching, or using buildings in the
garden for repairing cars or storing goods connected with a business – the
key test is: is it still mainly a home or has it become business premises?"
HTH

Page​

Hi Jenny. only read about your problem with the council the other day. Have you managed to get this sorted yet? As I also work from home this does worry me. Let me know:hug:

Hi Jenny. only read about your problem with the council the other day. Have you managed to get this sorted yet? As I also work from home this does worry me. Let me know:hug:

Hi hun i am currently in the process of sorting it all out. I have spoken to quite a few knowlegable people and at the minute it is looking ok. But do not want to say untill it is 110% clarified. I am able to work although the council will not say yes or no to me working they have said if i am showing that i am trying to remedy the situation then they will not take legal action if i am working. Phew was my words as have worked hard for the clientel i have to press. I will keep u posted as soon as i hear more i will let u no chic. Have u had contact from your council. xxx

Had a fab letter put together that i started collin on here made some changes to and a fellow member of the health and safety has also added there bit to help me Mr Skinner my MP is also getting a letter :green:

Ive been workin from home for nearly 8 yrs. At my old address I informed the council who then asked me to send in a letter detailing all the treatments i do, hours of work, how many clients and info on parking. I did all this and got a letter back more or less saying everthing was fine, I never heard anything else. I have lived at my current address for 2 1/2 years and never spoke to the council. Perhaps I should. I have space on my drive for client parking although it is only one space but I never have more than 1 client at a time. Like you I work some evenings but not weekends. My neighbours seem happy about this. Do you work part time? Talk about making life difficult, its so unfair. keep me posted, il keep my fingers crossed it all work out for you :hug: x

Latest posts

Back