Popits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodie7598

Reaction score
Hi there everyone :biggrin:

I have been reading all the posts with much interest on this site for quite a while now and felt that I just had to let you all know about my first attempt at doing nails (I have not had any training other than watching nail techs do my nails over the years).

I was reading on this site about popits and after numerous visits to different nail techs and been dissapointed at a few sets thought Hmmmm maybe I could do that.

So the popits well I thought I would give them a go so I bought all the gadgets you all use and the fantastic popits and did my first set of nails the other night and they are fantastic. I must admit I wouldnt be able to get a set done no where near as good by trying to sculpt myself as I have not had the training, well I probably could but would have to do a ton of filing.

I am so pleased and it has saved me a fortune going to the salon to get them done. What a fantastic invention popits are.

All you nail techs do a fantastic job with sculpting and I have looked at tons of pictures you post you truly are fab with all the nail art I could never do that.

Do any of you use popits?

Joanne

I have been reading all the posts with much interest on this site for quite a while now and felt that I just had to let you all know about my first attempt at doing nails (I have not had any training other than watching nail techs do my nails over the years).

I was reading on this site about popits and after numerous visits to different nail techs and been dissapointed at a few sets thought Hmmmm maybe I could do that.

So the popits well I thought I would give them a go so I bought all the gadgets you all use and the fantastic popits and did my first set of nails the other night and they are fantastic. I must admit I wouldnt be able to get a set done no where near as good by trying to sculpt myself as I have not had the training, well I probably could but would have to do a ton of filing.

I am so pleased and it has saved me a fortune going to the salon to get them done. What a fantastic invention popits are.

All you nail techs do a fantastic job with sculpting and I have looked at tons of pictures you post you truly are fab with all the nail art I could never do that.

Joanne

Guess you did not get your PopIts from the authorised UK distributor then eh? Where?? Ebay?

PopIts are for professional use only and S2 (the UK distributors) would not sell to a non professional such as yourself. It would be interesting to know which acrylic products you use and where you buy them too?

Oh, I see NSI sell to you!!! Shame on them.

Last edited:
it was just a matter of time before the DIY got a hold of them, posts like these make me want to take down all my videos and take back all advice ..... and I think that's a shame, the amount of comments on Youtube that I avoid (and delete) is ridiculous, sometimes I feel I have made a rod for my own back.

Imagine answering questions like "what is the wet stuff you use"?

it was just a matter of time before the DIY got a hold of them, posts like these make me want to take down all my videos and take back all advice ..... and I think that's a shame, the amount of comments on Youtube that I avoid (and delete) is ridiculous, sometimes I feel I have made a rod for my own back.

Imagine answering questions like "what is the wet stuff you use"?

I know and I agree Carl. :hug:

Why would anyone assume that we want to hear this sort of thing ?

No training, no idea, no ability to rebalance, no understanding of health and safety, no sanitation and no sense

Why would anyone assume that we want to hear this sort of thing ?

No training, no idea, no ability to rebalance, no understanding of health and safety, no sanitation and no sense

Yes and their idea of what looks 'fantastic' is not a professionals idea of what looks great!! I can only imagine. :rolleyes:

This is a bit of a sore point for me at the moment, when writing up my year so far I started working out what I have spent on training and professional products during my time in the beauty industry. I knew it was high but I didnt realise it was high enough to have brought be a high quality brand new car! That said, I wouldnt have missed a single course or training session, I will continue to spend money on training.

It looks like I shouldnt have bothered and just used popits on all of my clients! At least that way I could have gone mobile in my new volkswagen polo!!! (i'm joking of course!)

Last edited:
You know guys, I'm honestly not sure this bait is worth rising to, because my gut instinct is that that is exactly what it is, a wind up.
I'm struggling to believe that anyone with a modicum of common sense would come on to a professional site and make those comments. She isnt asking for any advice or making any contrstructive comments, only to say "hey guys, I've never had any training but I've got the products and I'm doing a fine job with them".

To the original poster - If you genuinely have done your own nails and have enthusiasm for this, the first and foremost thing you absolutely must do before you do any more nails is get some training so you are working safely. If as I strongly suspect this is a wind up to get a rise out of us, grow up.

p.s - edited - I just noticed, look at the smiley on the thread, this is most definitely a wind up.

Last edited:
This is a bit of a sore point for me at the moment, when writing up my year so far I started working out what I have spent on training and professional products during my time in the beauty industry. I knew it was high but I didnt realise it was high enough to have brought be a high quality brand new car! That said, I wouldnt have missed a single course or training session, I will continue to spend money on training.

It looks like I shouldnt have bothered and just used popits on all of my clients! At least that way I could have gone mobile in my new volkswagen polo!!!

Now lets get this into perspective.

Consumers have had the ability to do their own nails for years. Plenty of the pro nail companies even sell to them behind your back and openly in Sally's and such places.. I doubt a few consumers who have bought a few PopIts are going to ruin the pro industry anymore than Rio kits and L&P from the pharmacy has ruined it. Has hair colour being available in every supermarket and chemist shop for consumers to buy, ruined the professional hair industry??? I think not.
As Carl said, it was just a matter of time and some consumers may use them (successfully or not) but I doubt it will make any kind of dent in our market. The types who use these things are not salon customers anyway.
A new car would not give you a career and PopIts in the hands of a few consumers will not ruin your career either.

You know guys, I'm honestly not sure this bait is worth rising to, because my gut instinct is that that is exactly what it is, a wind up.
I'm struggling to believe that anyone with a modicum of common sense would come on to a professional site and make those comments. She isnt asking for any advice or making any contrstructive comments, only to say "hey guys, I've never had any training but I've got the products and I'm doing a fine job with them".

To the original poster - If you genuinely have done your own nails and have enthusiasm for this, the first and foremost thing you absolutely must do before you do any more nails is get some training so you are working safely. If as I strongly suspect this is a wind up to get a rise out of us, grow up.

I am in agreeance. This is definitely a wind up. The writer has gone to a lot of trouble to include the points which they know would get up our noses most. If, as they claim, they have been reading all the posts on this site for a while now, they couldn't possibly be so naive as the post a thread such as they have

Because you can visit these kinds of forum without any training, people get a ''free ride'' with all kind of consequence for nails they practise on. Perhaps emailing youre certificate of qualification before you can register here will make it harder for them to get information.

Whether it's a wind up or not, it's disrespectful to all techs, old (not in age ;) but experience) or just starting out to post something like this.

Joanne
I could say soooo much in my reply, but instead I'll say just 11...

http://www.salongeek.com/training/27430-answer-most-faq-training-should-i-choose.html

Because you can visit these kinds of forum without any training, people get a ''free ride'' with all kind of consequence for nails they practise on. Perhaps emailing youre certificate of qualification before you can register here will make it harder for them to get information.

But, if it wasn't for me being able to access these boards I would never have managed to get the information I was looking for regarding training. I would never have had access to so many different opinions on systems / companies etc. I'd still be sitting in my day job day dreaming about a day when I can afford to give up my day job and retrain as a beauty therapist, not knowing that I didn't have to. I also think that these boards have even converted a good few 'I can do nails without training' peeps to qualified nail techs as it has shown them the light.

but isnt this site to help those of us who are currently studying aswell? I came across this site by google and I must say that although I have only been training just over a month, reading your threads has helped me a number of times in understanding products / techniques and seeing what is available.

i think what is also disturbing is the fact that people who have no qualifications in any beauty unit are giving advice! I commented on a thread the other day advising someone to use a cream that potentially been extremely harmful to the user. It also winds me up the fact that we have worked our guts out to get where we are only for someone to kick us in the teeth with threads like this! :irked:

Wow I am sorry I have upset you guys that was not my intention nor was it a wind up.

I was genuinely pleased with all the advice I had read on this site and the fact the popits allowed me to do my own nails and Adel I would say that the first thing I have is sense as it is now saving me a small fortune :)

Yes I bought the popits on ebay as I did the nsi products the scrub fresh the primer every bit of kit a nail tech uses.

I agree what is a fantastic set of nails to one person is not to another. No way no how could I create some of the fantastic nails that you guys do but popits allow you do what I think is a great set of nails. I have shown them to friends (two of whom are nail techs) and they also agree that they are very good. I have had nails done in salons before today that were no where near as nice looking as these popit ones.

I am sorry that I have annoyed all you guys like I said that was not my intention. I guess I was just so pleased that I had achieved a set of nails using the popits that are in my opinion a lot nicer than some I have had done by nail techs.

I guess I never really looked at it from a nail techs point of view and if I had done all the training you do I would be a bit hacked off as well that someone could achieve a nice set of nails with no training. The net is full of advice and step by step instructions on how to apply nails let alone popits and all the products are available to buy on line too.

I really did not mean to upset you guys.

Sorry :(

I guess I never really looked at it from a nail techs point of view and if I had done all the training you do I would be a bit hacked off as well that someone could achieve a nice set of nails with no training.

I think you have missed the point about why people haven't reacted well to your post. It's not to do with the fact that someone can do nice nails with no training, it's to do with the fact that our industry struggles to be taken seriously as it is (I wonder how many techs on here have husbands who think their wives are playing at nails and wondering when they'll get a proper job?) And the reason it struggles to be taken seriously is because there are thousands of ladies who think they can watch a tech at work, pick up the tools, and do the same thing, simple as that, and then the whole of the industry is portrayed as though we all do that.

The reality is that the professional and accomplished nail technician has spent thousands of pounds on materials, and taken training that spans a number of years in most cases. They learn about the really important stuff like safety and anatomical knowledge, and how to identify contra-indications which you could never hope to pick up by watching your tech work.

I'm sure your nails look very nice, as you have said, popits are a wonderful boost to our industry, but they are not fail-safe. If in a few days you find that your nail beneath the enhancement has gone green, how will you deal with it? Similarly if you find that some of your nailplate next to the free edge had separated from the nailbed, will you know how it might have happened? Will you know how to deal with it? You honestly cant hope to pick these things up by watching a tech work, and whilst your enhancments may look lovely, you may damage the health of your nail and nailbed by not working safely.

Look at it this way, would you walk into a hairdressers having dyed your hair at home with a clairol kit you bought from Boots and tell them you did just as good a job as they can do? You would fully expect the hairdresser to be insulted, so please try and understand why you got such a reaction on here.

Another very important thing that you should be aware of is that Ebay is full of counterfeit products, so you may never know if what you are using really is a safe product.

If you truly enjoy doing nails, even if it's only for yourself, get some training. You really do need to know the health and safety side of things - you are using some very harsh chemicals and are carrying out a procedure that if not done properly could cause permanent damage to your nailbed, and you wont think it was such an economical exercise if that happens.

Thank you for your response and I do take on board all that you are saying and you are right I would not have a clue how to deal with any of the things you have listed.

Luckily I have nail tech friends should any such disaster occur with my nails but I have shown them all the products I have bought and explained step by step everything I have done to make sure I am doing it right. I have had my nails done for years and with no disrespect anyone could apply these popits it's having the common sense to make sure you are following all the correct procedures and prep before hand.

Like I said I have had my nails done for years and thought it was a great way of saving money as I knew that I would be able to do a set of nails myself.

Again I apologise for upsetting you guys.

wow some of u ladies are a bit mean, poor girl was only tellin us. i remeber b4 i was trained i would try lots of stuff on my own nails, she isnt goin out and doin it on the public so it isnt a worry. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back