Pre-blend or not????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie111

Reaction score
I tried pre-blending when I first started doing nails and couldn't get the hand of it so I now cut my tips well out, apply and then blend.
I'm working towards my masters and got shown again to pre-blend and am going to practice on this at the weekend.
How many of you pre-blend and how many blend when its on the nail?

i was always taught to blend when you put the tip on.but i have been thinking about trying to pre blend.but havent so far

it depends, i sometimes do either, if im rushed for time i pre blend at beginning of the day, but then i struggle to see the free edge through the buffed tip, if i dont pre blend it only takes me a minute to blend on the nail any way, so i dont think theres much in it personally,
actually i sculpt most of my clients though , much easier , quicker, and nicer looking imo

it depends, i sometimes do either, if im rushed for time i pre blend at beginning of the day, but then i struggle to see the free edge through the buffed tip, if i dont pre blend it only takes me a minute to blend on the nail any way, so i dont think theres much in it personally,
actually i sculpt most of my clients though , much easier , quicker, and nicer looking imo

I had this discussion with the educator and she reckoned it was much quicker to pre-blend than it was to cut the well and blend when it was on.
I personally think it takes longer to pre-blend, probably because I don't do it so it took me ages. LOL
I need to learn to sculpt, its something I've been meaning to do but haven't got around to it.

I do not pre blend. Creative Tips blend so fast anyway that I never need to do prior work on them. I think pre blending can create more problems than it solves.

When I tried pre-blending i found I was blending too far and losing half the tip and getting really sore fingers in the process.
I feel a bit better now knowing I'm not alone, I thought I must have been the only one not pre-blending.

I NEVER pre-blend. It just seems like a lot of extra work to me.
I use well-less tips and blend on the nail.
Ultra thin ones that blend easy.

hth's

i have never preblended only on the tip i use creative and nsi which don't need a lot of blending i suggest you change your tips which have a cut out well which doen't need preblending. you probably find this works better

I was taught on my NVQ course to blend when the tip was on the nail. However, after having a disaster with a client with my blending (must have been on another planet that day), I tried pre-blending and it has really helped. Now, only a couple of strokes with the file and its done! I think I will carry on doing this. In fact, I read a thread on this a few days ago (can't remember who posted it now) where the tech pre blended tips when she was a bit quiet in the salon.

i dont pre blend the tips, i have tought about it a few times but i always forget lol

I always pre-blend, with an e-file and a medium sanding band.
1st step : 2x all the way down.
2nd step : 2x only on the well.
3rd step (with a very low speed) : inside the well, in order to remove chirping plastic.

It takes 20-30 sec to complete this, and once the tip has been glued, 5 seconds of manual filing is required to totally blend the well.

I'm going to try asian tips (Victoria, thanks for the advice), it looks like they are so thin that preblending is worthless.

I do not pre blend i was taught to blend tips as well,so interesting how we all have different techniques.I like to blend tips i am so accustomed right now. To try something diffferent we be so drastic.

Florentina Alexander

I was taught to pre blend and still do...I think it does make it quicker to blend n when its on the nail but tbh once its pre-blended you cant really see if there is any air bubbles when applying the tip...but its a habit Im in and do it without thinking.

I do not pre blend. Creative Tips blend so fast anyway that I never need to do prior work on them. I think pre blending can create more problems than it solves.
Hi Gigi, i know you are fandabidozey at nails and advice on nail related questions but i was confused by your comment as i was trained at Creative (leeds) and my educator told us it was vital to pre blend, so did she teach us her ways or creative ways, i dont doubt what you say i was just wondering about my training???:hug:

Hi Gigi, i know you are fandabidozey at nails and advice on nail related questions but i was confused by your comment as i was trained at Creative (leeds) and my educator told us it was vital to pre blend, so did she teach us her ways or creative ways, i dont doubt what you say i was just wondering about my training???:hug:

Ditto - i've been trained by nearly all the educators at Leeds and they all teached to pre-blend and this is included on the Master Classes.

I can appreciate that personal choice is maybe the order of the day here with Geegs post above but surely if Creative train to pre-blend how can this can cause problems or even maybe seen as a waste of time?

So my question is do we or don't we and why would this be taught if not necessary?

pre-blending the the tips out, makes them flex more (often leading to misfits/airbubbles and splaying) the secret is file control, which should be taught in initially, rather than cheating to cut corners, as Geeg mentioned, your apparent solution, can lead too other problems.

I tried pre-blending when I first started doing nails and couldn't get the hand of it so I now cut my tips well out, apply and then blend.
I'm working towards my masters and got shown again to pre-blend and am going to practice on this at the weekend.
How many of you pre-blend and how many blend when its on the nail?

I was taught to blend whilst the nail is on the tip, but why don't you try the half well tips much much easier.

Ditto - i've been trained by nearly all the educators at Leeds and they all teached to pre-blend and this is included on the Master Classes.

I can appreciate that personal choice is maybe the order of the day here with Geegs post above but surely if Creative train to pre-blend how can this can cause problems or even maybe seen as a waste of time?

So my question is do we or don't we and why would this be taught if not necessary?

Just wondered if anyone had an answer for my question?

i think your answer lies in your results, i pre-blend as i feel i get better result.........

i think your answer lies in your results, i pre-blend as i feel i get better result.........

Well granted i get no problems with pre-blending however my query is on clarification about the fact that if pre-blending can cause problems why do creative train this way

Latest posts

Back