professional waxers ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
Hi just wondered do any of you professional waxers use other forms of hair removal on yourself and do you tell your clients if asked???

If so,how do you explain your reasons without being negative about waxing treatments??

Thanks.:green:

I use an epilator on my legs as I never seem to get time to wax myself, I don't explain cos clients don't normally ask.

They do ask about my eyebrows but I can't really wax them cos I wear glasses so I pluck them every day I explain waxing is better than tweezing tho as it's quicker and easier

i have my legs/bik/underarms waxed, but always tend to pluck my eyebrows (dont even know why). i tell my cients i wax, and on the odd occasion that i shave (v rare) i would tell a client if they ask, but point out why i shouldnt have, ie, grew back in a couple of days anyway, feels coarse etc. i never use hair removal cream, and advise clients not to do so aswell.

Unless there are contraindications, i think waxing/sugaring are xcellent forms of hair removal, when done properly and efficiently by a professional waxer. unfortunatley, many clients have had previous bad experiences by over zealous or inexperienced waxers. we then have the hard job of educating them to how effective it is, and why they should give it (us!) a go. other than these methods, i advise electrolysis where necessary, and have discussed the benefits of laser (i dont offer it!) to those with dark, unrelenting hairs!

:)

I wax everything apart from my underarms which I shave because I find it REALLY painful !

If a client asks then I explain that I shave in that area because I find it to painful to do myself tbh nearly all of my clients that have waxing have had it done & don't have a problem with it, its just me !

I'm always honest with my clients, if they ask if i wax my own legs etc. i tell them no because it hurts too much, i do wax my own bikini line though and i have my eyebrows waxed by somebody else. I'm the most unsympathetic waxer because my motto is if it hurts don't have it done! I've had my underarms treated with IPL so i only shave them about twice a week as i get hardly any growth there now, I'm honest about that too, in fact i referred a couple of my clients to the old salon i worked at to have IPL on thier face, they still come back to me for other things though. Clients like sincerity and it shows if you tell porkies!!

I go through phases regards waxing/shaving. At the min, I am shaving my legs and underarms and waxing my bikini line. I am immensely prone to ingrown hairs, even though I am religious where exfoliation (both manual and chemical) and moisturisation are involved, and use PFB Vanish (wonder product, minimalises ingrown hairs on myself, but doesn't eradicate them completely).

Professionally, I am not a full-time waxer, I used to be (virtually!), but now I just wax friends and family, and a couple of client appointments per week when our other beauty therapist is double booked. When I discuss different types of hair removal with clients, I never look down my nose on other types of hair removal. Each type has its positive and negative aspects, its pros and cons if you like. I, personally, deem it as unprofessional to tell a client they shouldn't shave, as though it's not the 'done thing'. I'm making money from waxing, so if I start acting as though any other type of hair removal is a shoddy second best, it's going to be pretty obvious why I'm doing it! And, anyway, I actually believe shaving is the best type of hair removal for me, and that waxing is the best type of hair removal for my friend (one of those that I wax), as she never gets ingrown hairs, and she remains totally hairless for a minimum of four weeks (I suffer the beginnings of regrowth after one week). So it is clear that different types of hair removal are best for different people.

I don't believe clients should be cajoled into thinking that waxing is the holy grail, as I have seen so many therapists do. We will earn our clients' respect if we are honest and give an unbiased review of the different methods of hair removal and their benefits and downfalls, and their suitability for the individual.

i do wax my own legs, used to get hubby to help as am a bit of a wimp but do it myself now, i do all of my facial waxing, although i tweeze any straw hairs on my eyebrows every 2 days, bit particular about them. that, the only bit i can't wax myself is my bikini line, so have been shaving recently but like amy i am so prone to ingrowing hairs, should really book in with someone to get it waxed x

I wax everything apart from my underarms which I shave because I find it REALLY painful !

Im the same, I wax everything because I get a really horrific shaving rash....but I just cannot stand waxing my underarms, it hurts so much. I have even tried having another therapist do it, but its still too painful. None of my clients ask though.:green:

I wax everything other than under arms,only because I find it difficult to do under my right arm at the same time as keeping the skin taut and also I suffer with ingrown hairs.Also I cant stand the in between stage.:eek:

If I was to go on holiday though I would get my boss to do it again because compared to shaving it takes a lot longer for the regrowth(for obvious reasons)

Was asking because had a client yesterday who asked me a lot of questions about my waxing routine.Wondered if it was routine that waxers genuinely promote waxing and wax themselves.

Thanks guys.:) Oh and yes honesty is the best policy.xx

I sugar everything except my eyebrows which I pluck because I cannot see to well to use sugar paste.

However, my BF does my bikini line and underarm for me with sugar paste and strips. I hold my skin taut where needed and he (under strict instructions how to) pulls the strip off. He does quite a good job too - maybe I should take him on as my Saturday girl - ha ha!

The only thing he does wrong though is when he pulls the strip off my underarm I tell him to place his hand on the area that hurts (ie where he has just pulled the strip off) and every time without fail he finds it incredibly funny to hold his own you know whats!!

I wax my eyebrows, my ears and my nose (too much information? :D)! Lordy I hate being a fella sometimes, who on earth ever thought ear hair was a good idea??!

I don't wax my chest as I actually quite like a bit of hair there, but I used to have my lower back done regularly. I'm honest with clients when they ask what I've had waxed (I have had every inch of hair below my neck removed at some point in my adult life, lol, so I can empathise with what they are experiencing!), and I'm honest about the results they can expect as some chaps that land on my couch still think that waxing is a progressively permanent method of hair removal.

I love waxing, but I also offer sugaring and have a good referral relationship with excellent IPL and electrolysis clinics in the area, as I agree 100% with what Amy said earlier - different strokes for different folks, and waxing isn't the answer for everyone, even if this means recommending a razor!

I shave generally & pluck eye-brows as can't have stubble anywhere, hate it!! So if asked thats what I tell them!! Really hate the wait in between just can't do it!!! :eek: :)!!

I wax most everything myself, at home, sigh....I think it hurts less when someone else is doing the waxing providing it is done right, keep in mind I teach others to wax so often if there is no one willing and it's on my shedule I will volunteer a section to be waxed. Talk about painful if there is too much wax!! Holy Bananas!! However, once a student has done this they usually don't repeat the mistake. Especially not if their first waxing model is one of their friends or classmates who glares at them for a week or two until the bruising has healed.

Waxing is still a relatively new service being offered in our area except for eyebrow, lip, facial waxing, so the students are just now getting to learn pot wax, the difference in hard and soft (thank you Axiom for your great thread about those, I've given that info out to a few students who want to pursue waxing) and proper application of wax for large areas. All these little details make a huge difference in the amount of pain from waxing.

Personally I get less irritation or ingrown hair from waxing than shaving. The razor is not my friend and I end up with razor burn every time, I've tried almost every cream or lubricant made for shaving and it hasn't been for me. After the initial "OUCH" suffered, each treatment is less painful and the hair doesn't seem as coarse. After several years of waxing my legs I have been lucky enough to not have much hair come back, and the hair that does seems to be much finer.

Waxing is not for everyone, and if you find it painful then don't do it, there are other alternatives to eliminate hair, you just have to find the one that works for you.

I go through phases regards waxing/shaving. At the min, I am shaving my legs and underarms and waxing my bikini line. I am immensely prone to ingrown hairs, even though I am religious where exfoliation (both manual and chemical) and moisturisation are involved, and use PFB Vanish (wonder product, minimalises ingrown hairs on myself, but doesn't eradicate them completely).

I seem to have the same problem with my legs if I wax them (ingrown hairs and very fast regrowth), but I do wax my own bikini line, eyebrows and lip.
I'm happy to tell my clients if they ask, what I find works for me, as every treatment can't suit everybody and their life style.

Someone recommended a really good waxing book a few weeks ago and despite numerous searches I cant find it; could anyone tell me either what book it is or the thread it was in?

Im very interested in sugaring and threading too and would be grateful for any information from the geeks who know how to do it.

btw, Im staring a waxing course, an eyebrow shaping course AND a makeup course in the next few weeks and Im SO excited!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks xx

I wax my eyebrows as I can do those myself. I would have underarms done but just dont seem to find the time! Legs kill me so I dont have those done, and I do tell clients if they ask. We then usually have a discussion about how weird it is that some people find some areas painful while others dont. I wish I could get legs done as the 2 times I have the hair took nearly 7 weeks to grow!!!

I go through phases with waxing. For months I religiously wax, and then let it slip and end up shaving.

I tell my clients the truth.

Most of my regular waxing clients are completely faithful to the wax removal method, but I would never force my opinions onto them.

I will try to encourage my daughter, as she gets older, to wax though.

Someone recommended a really good waxing book a few weeks ago and despite numerous searches I cant find it; could anyone tell me either what book it is or the thread it was in?

Thanks xx

I would recommend The Encyclopedia of Hair Removal by Gill Morris and Janice Brown (published by Thomson Learning, 2006). It covers everything from waxing, sugaring and threading to IPL and electrolysis. The anatomy and physiology section is excellent, and it also has bits on health and safety, hygiene, and business practice, plus advanced knowledge sections (really fab stuff on different aspects of hair growth) and practitioner profiles. I've got several texts on beauty and hair removal in particular, and this is the one I return to most for answers and advice.

HTHs :D

Andy x

I would recommend The Encyclopedia of Hair Removal by Gill Morris and Janice Brown (published by Thomson Learning, 2006). It covers everything from waxing, sugaring and threading to IPL and electrolysis. The anatomy and physiology section is excellent, and it also has bits on health and safety, hygiene, and business practice, plus advanced knowledge sections (really fab stuff on different aspects of hair growth) and practitioner profiles. I've got several texts on beauty and hair removal in particular, and this is the one I return to most for answers and advice.

HTHs :D

Andy x

It was myself that Andy recommended this book to.

All of andy's advice is amazing and you will not regret purchasing this book.

I dont think ive EVER shaved myself,ive only ever had waxing for my body and electroylisis(sorry about the spelling !)on my face.
Ive always ever only advocated epilation or depilation,because i see that im a therapist that does this.
I know alot more women shave still here in the Uk compared to France.
I dont undermine shaving,after all its a question of choice,but i just feel semi or permanent hair removal is much more effective.Having said that i know people dont like waiting "in between" treatments.However when clients see the results and after you have gained thier trust they do thank you in the end!:lol:

Latest posts

Back