Psoriasis - Quick question.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseblanc

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I have a question. I'm getting married next summer and one of my bridesmaids has psosiasis on her nails. I want all my girls to have their nails done for the wedding (which I will do myself) - but I'm wondering about my friend who has psosiasis. I'm thinking of asking her to ask her doctor if its ok to have nails put on the day before the wedding and removed the day after.

If her doctor says no to enhancements, what other options are there for her?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ladies,

I have a question. I'm getting married next summer and one of my bridesmaids has psosiasis on her nails. I want all my girls to have their nails done for the wedding (which I will do myself) - but I'm wondering about my friend who has psosiasis. I'm thinking of asking her to ask her doctor if its ok to have nails put on the day before the wedding and removed the day after.

If her doctor says no to enhancements, what other options are there for her?

Thanks in advance!

Depending on the severity of the psoriasis it is possible for her to have a light weight overlay to make the surface smooth and they can be painted.
Once done I would not soak off I would grow the product off and thin out as you go along. Acetone is not good for people with psoriasis whose skin is already excessively dry.

I have done lots of people with psoriasis affected nails. If the onycholysis is not to severe they can be done.

If the verdict is no then I would try a really good ridge filler .. 2 - 3 coats to make the surface smooth. Dare I suggest CND Ridge Out? It is a terrific product.

Depending on the severity of the psoriasis it is possible for her to have a light weight overlay to make the surface smooth and they can be painted.
Once done I would not soak off I would grow the product off and thin out as you go along. Acetone is not good for people with psoriasis whose skin is already excessively dry.

I have done lots of people with psoriasis affected nails. If the onycholysis is not to severe they can be done.

If the verdict is no then I would try a really good ridge filler .. 2 - 3 coats to make the surface smooth. Dare I suggest CND Ridge Out? It is a terrific product.

I had a new client yesterday, who has rheumatoid arthritis and the medication has caused psoriasis on both her thumb nails (not too severe). She booked for a manicure yesterday, but she had been to another tech (in a different area) 2 weeks ago and they had put a layer of calgel over her thumbs to cover the ridges and they advised her it should either be infilled as required or removed with acetone. As I use brisa gel, I wasn't sure if I could infill over the top of calgel, and I didn't want to soak off as I didn't want to use acetone on a client with psoriasis. As there was very little growth, I just left it as it was and gave her an almond spa manicure with heated mitts and a new coat of polish to cover the little growth she had and said if she came back in 2 weeks I could then either remove and renew with brisa or infill, she was quite happy with this, but I'm hoping someone can advise which would be the best way to proceed. Also whilst reading my books and notes I read that psoriasis should not be treated with perfumed products or heat, I thought the almond spa manicure and heat would be good for her painful joints with the arthirits but should I not have done this, sorry for all the questions but its just so much to learn for newbies like me :)

I had a new client yesterday, who has rheumatoid arthritis and the medication has caused psoriasis on both her thumb nails (not too severe). She booked for a manicure yesterday, but she had been to another tech (in a different area) 2 weeks ago and they had put a layer of calgel over her thumbs to cover the ridges and they advised her it should either be infilled as required or removed with acetone. As I use brisa gel, I wasn't sure if I could infill over the top of calgel, and I didn't want to soak off as I didn't want to use acetone on a client with psoriasis. As there was very little growth, I just left it as it was and gave her an almond spa manicure with heated mitts and a new coat of polish to cover the little growth she had and said if she came back in 2 weeks I could then either remove and renew with brisa or infill, she was quite happy with this, but I'm hoping someone can advise which would be the best way to proceed. Also whilst reading my books and notes I read that psoriasis should not be treated with perfumed products or heat, I thought the almond spa manicure and heat would be good for her painful joints with the arthirits but should I not have done this, sorry for all the questions but its just so much to learn for newbies like me :)

I think you did just fine and the products are not perfumed as such but contain quite natural products and scents. And the heat would have felt very good to her painful joints. You did fine.

As to Brisa over Calgel .. mmmmmmmm ... calgel is soft and rubbery and Brisa is harder and less flexible. Doesn't make a good mix in my mind. You could try it and see and tell her it is an experiment or give her the choice to have the calgel removed. Or pm Minkus .. she's tried everything lol

Geeg! I wish you'd bring back Fabric!!!!!

This would be perfect for all those 'questionable' nail conditions.

I do realise that introducing a system is not as easy as it sounds but I truly believe that a resin based system has a very important place in the professional industry!

It is such a gentle system. It could be used on so many delicate nails. It is also perfect when a clients nails just start rejecting another system (a lot of technicians don't recognise or accept this but, in my experience, it is a fact!) When this happens for no obvious reason, a few weeks with a resin based system seems to give the nails a break and then a l&p or UV gel can be reapplied with no problem.

I believe Backscratchers is still available (which is a resin based system) but I don't know if there is much training is available. It is a very good system and worth considering.

I loved Fabric when it was available as it could deal with any nail shape and condition.

With a condition such as psoriasis, a resin based system is perfect!

This is my first post on this board. Not sure how easy it is to get products overseas, but Backscratchers is still a lucrative business and their products are still available. They also offer DVD's for instruction that are very helpful. Their Extreme line is very easy to use (brush on) and is strong and can make a very pretty natural looking nail. However, it is soakable, so not sure with that kind of nail condition that would work. Being soakable too, it isn't easy to file off. Check out their website: www.backscratchers.com

This is my first post on this board. Not sure how easy it is to get products overseas, but Backscratchers is still a lucrative business and their products are still available. They also offer DVD's for instruction that are very helpful. Their Extreme line is very easy to use (brush on) and is strong and can make a very pretty natural looking nail. However, it is soakable, so not sure with that kind of nail condition that would work. Being soakable too, it isn't easy to file off. Check out their website: www.backscratchers.com

Backscratchers have a good distributor here inthe UK who has looked after the brand as long (if not longer) than I have looked after the CND brand!!

My fabric system was a little different and it was Fab.

From Mum
Geeg! I wish you'd bring back Fabric!!!!!

I loved Fabric when it was available as it could deal with any nail shape and condition.

With a condition such as psoriasis, a resin based system is perfect!

I love fibreglass/silk wraps .. just love them .. problem was, Marian, that it is such a small sector of the industry and you have to buy so much stock and it is more perishable than other systems so one has to sell it. lol You know hwo decided in his infinite stupidity to ditch it. I didn't get much of a say. lol So many people won competitions with my system and it was getting quite a name for itself .,.. quite sad really as there is a really large amopunt of uses for a system like mine was.

Here are some nails I did using this system and tips and fibreglass. So pretty and natural looking.

Attachments

• Fabric Hero 72.jpg
    Fabric Hero 72.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 77
Woww Geeg - that pic is the goal I have set myself to work towards! Smooth, natural, perfect in every way, shape and form :)

Would you say a fabric system is easier for newcomers than L&P?

Woww Geeg - that pic is the goal I have set myself to work towards! Smooth, natural, perfect in every way, shape and form :)

Would you say a fabric system is easier for newcomers than L&P?

To learn how to do ... yes definitely but having wraps as your only system is limiting as it is not suitable for everyone or even a large proportion of everyone.

Wraps have their drawbacks. They are not a cross linked polymer, they break down more quickly and sets have to be replaced more often, they are not as robust or colour srable BUT they do have a place in the market for sure if not a huge one. Nothing repairs a natural nail better than a wrap for one thing and also they are the lowest on the allergy/sensitivity table for those with skin disorders or sensitivity. Every technician should be competent at doing them.

Geeg, you're right but I still know technicians who ONLY use a resin based system and manage very well.

In the work that I do know I wouldn't manage without being able to use and adapt the system. (that's why I miss 'Build' so much!!!)

I agree, every technician should be able to work with the system! It should be in every technicians kit/desk. L&P or UV gel may be the system of choice but resin should be available as a backup for several reasons including good natural nail care

Geeg, you're right but I still know technicians who ONLY use a resin based system and manage very well.

In the work that I do know I wouldn't manage without being able to use and adapt the system. (that's why I miss 'Build' so much!!!)

I agree, every technician should be able to work with the system! It should be in every technicians kit/desk. L&P or UV gel may be the system of choice but resin should be available as a backup for several reasons including good natural nail care

True .. I know they do .. I don't know how they do but I do know they do!! lol

I think allot of clients will not put up these days with the more frequent maintenance and removal of wraps, or they want to go without polish and have a natural look which lasts longer with other systems but some do have a niche with wraps and good on'em I say. Personally I would find it very limiting to have only a wrap system in my repertoire.

Using a resin based acrylic dip system like the Extreme System from Backscratchers can be a very lucrative business and is varily strong. Like anything else, it doesn't work for everyone, but for the majority. It's just too bad more nail technicians don't try it and/or practice with it. Like it was stated there is something for everyone and a nail tech should be diversified. It takes just as much talent to work with it as with any other product, as well as wraps.

I think you did just fine and the products are not perfumed as such but contain quite natural products and scents. And the heat would have felt very good to her painful joints. You did fine.

As to Brisa over Calgel .. mmmmmmmm ... calgel is soft and rubbery and Brisa is harder and less flexible. Doesn't make a good mix in my mind. You could try it and see and tell her it is an experiment or give her the choice to have the calgel removed. Or pm Minkus .. she's tried everything lol

Thanks Gigi, I'll pm Minkus and see if she's tried it :)

Latest posts

Back