'Qualified' but not knowing basic information!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a gel nail course in July and we did the theory and practical in 3 days it's not enough although this seems to be the average, old love to go back and do a refresher course but at the mo money is an object so for now ill look over my notes use this and watch videos :)

My last refresher was like 3 years ago. I feel it's time to get updated again. I'll finally be ringing up S2 in 2013. :)

I definitely have a lot to learn and don't think I'll ever be at the stage where I think I'm fully qualified and know everything there is to know. I intend to keep doing courses and research forever.

So far I've only done a basic manicure, gel polish, spray tan and eyelash course. I am doing pedicures and makeup in 2013 so far - I only moved into this business in September. I'm undecided whether I want to do nail enhancements at this stage (or ever) or just concentrate on being the best I can be at the above treatments.

I find the information on here invaluable although I would hope that if I had a lot of basic questions (as opposed to tips for the best way to do things) that I would have the sense to go and get more training that covers those. For example I know that the courses I have done have been basic at best on the anatomy and physiology side so I want to do a course in that at some point soon and I want to learn more about contraindications etc.

A very good friend of mine, and a gifted nail geek here on the site, said something to me the other day which had me in complete agreement ...

She pointed out that going by the nature of so many recent questions here on SG there seem to be a huge amount of 'qualified' manicurists who seem to not know even the most basic information about nail products or application techniques. A vast majority of the questions re 'problems' could be solved without asking questions by simply getting more and better basic training.

My personal thoughts are that quick manicure courses and UV colour coatings have galvanised many into entering the nail business but they really lack all the basic skills for lasting service and to solve problems because they know little about the products they are using. That being said I really wish i had a hands on Efile course near me! (I am in the U.S) I really think our school system is rubish and thing you girls have it great over there.

Make it a goal in 2013 to 'up your basic skills and knowledge base' by booking onto at least 2 classes that will fill in your gaps. I am doing a large update training in early February ... What about you? What gaps do you need to fill?

I did not learn a thing in school, i learned it all online before i went to school. the information is out there the answers are out there all they have to do is look and read before they ask. I know I did it and if I can then anyone can. That being said, i wish i had a e-file class no matter how many things you read and watch on line hands on is so much better.
:Love:

Last edited:
I think it's a bit like driving. When you pass your driving test, you're legally able to work, but it's AFTER you pass that you REALLY learn to drive.
When we qualify, we're legally allowed to carry out treatments, but then it's up to you to do the research and all the extra learning that makes you a professional. It's what sets you apart from the people who not really serious about the industry or want to make a quick buck.

A very good friend of mine, and a gifted nail geek here on the site, said something to me the other day which had me in complete agreement ...

She pointed out that going by the nature of so many recent questions here on SG there seem to be a huge amount of 'qualified' manicurists who seem to not know even the most basic information about nail products or application techniques. A vast majority of the questions re 'problems' could be solved without asking questions by simply getting more and better basic training.

My personal thoughts are that quick manicure courses and UV colour coatings have galvanised many into entering the nail business but they really lack all the basic skills for lasting service and to solve problems because they know little about the products they are using.

Make it a goal in 2013 to 'up your basic skills and knowledge base' by booking onto at least 2 classes that will fill in your gaps. I am doing a large update training in early February ... What about you? What gaps do you need to fill?

Geeg, what a coincidence, I have training in early February too...!

In fact, I have lots of training lined up this year and I can't wait. I think it is very important to make sure you upgrade yourself often and keep with the times. Without up to date training, you will just get left behind.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using SalonGeek

I have so much more training that i want to do next year i know i wont be able to afford it all but this thread has made me think that i need to make a long term plan and work out what i can do this year and then look at what can wait till next year. I love doing courses and will always keep updating my skills x

I did not learn a thing in school, i learned it all online before i went to school. the information is out there the answers are out there all they have to do is look and read before they ask. I know I did it and if I can then anyone can. That being said, i wish i had a e-file class no matter how many things you read and watch on line hands on is so much better.
:Love:

I agree with this regarding theory. You can read a lot and take control of learning a good ammount of theory. I think people are more vulnerable to being given a poor education when it comes to the actual practical work because if your tutor doesnt go over things in detail and doesnt supervise you much then this is when you can feel a bit lost with it.

For example, i can tell you lots about how and why to do a wax but i feel i still need more training when it actually comes to doing one (planning to honour this in the new year!)

i would love to learn more as I only did a short course and came out and fort what a waste of money! but where..and how? And how much? =/

I have so much more training that i want to do next year i know i wont be able to afford it all but this thread has made me think that i need to make a long term plan and work out what i can do this year and then look at what can wait till next year. I love doing courses and will always keep updating my skills x

This is what i do. I have a fairly long wish list of everything i would like to do and then i narrow down what i am going to do most immediately based on what treatments i feel i am going to be doing more of in order that after learning something i will be getting the experience of doing it on clients.

I think it's a bit like driving. When you pass your driving test, you're legally able to work, but it's AFTER you pass that you REALLY learn to drive.
When we qualify, we're legally allowed to carry out treatments, but then it's up to you to do the research and all the extra learning that makes you a professional. It's what sets you apart from the people who not really serious about the industry or want to make a quick buck.
Agreed. ;)

SpaTacular and Master Painter are the first two I'm going to do in the new year. I can't get enough of it, I live it and breathe it!

When my Nursing students say to me, 'But I'm really worried and feel like I don't know anything!' I say back to them, 'If you didn't feel that fear, I wouldn't feel comfortable working along side you when you qualify!'

There is always room to keep learning. Lap it up and show how it makes you stand out to your clients, I say.

Bring on 2013. I'm ready for you! :D

CND offer the most amazing array of on-going education classes .... They will teach and guide you all the way to the top of the profession ... Which explains why so many well known pros at the top of the profession have undergone CND training. :green: they are as dedicated to getting YOU to the top, as you are at getting there yourself.

I did my master painter and brisa conversion this year, as well as a few other additives/art classes.

On the cards for next year will be the other masters and their pre-requisites.... along with whatever else CND are bringing out!

I was told today that I know more about the industry than some tech's that have been in it for over 20 years. I've been in school for 3 months and have a month to go. Made me feel pretty good about myself, lol. I do not understand how some people can function as a nail tech. Continuing education is key!

I came out of college in June and they had only started the nsi polish pro the Xmas I was there. I love reading all about new trends and new products coming out within nails but I also think that my tutors from college could have had more training as they trained us the best they could but even before I had left college I was asking them about treatments and products they didnt even know about. Even though I am qualified I still see myself as bring in training as there's always something new to learn whether its a new system a new product or even a new problem a client has come up against xx

Already booked my training classes for Jan next year, but also planning for march and throughout the year.
Training in our industry is a rolling process, can't sit in a position of thinking you know it all, you can't as new techniques, products, standards evolve all the time.

I love that in this industry there is always more to learn. It's what keeps me interested and on my toes! I can't wait to learn more and I think that anyone who says they know it all is fibbing as things change continuously. So just when u think u know...u have a whole new wave of new stuff!

The passing your driving test is a great analogy!
There's no way I would've gone straight on to paying clients from training, that really is just the foundation!

Training courses do need to be much thorough, I completely agree. However I feel it divides the ones who really want it, who practice, who keep learning, who succeed, from those that aren't really bothered about it, don't do well and fizzle out.

I wish we got classes here in Mississippi :( but we don't. I'd have to travel clear across the country to attend any. That's y I utilize SalonGeek to the fullest. And Holly Fingernailfixer is a God-send!!

I'm switching all my brands to cnd in 2013 already use shellac but am converting to Brisa and cnd l&p 2013. I've learned more about nail structure and product chemistry in the last year being on salon geek than I have in the previous ten years in the industry.

Latest posts

Back