Quality or The Length of Experience.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanish

Reaction score
I was thinking what you Geeks think is more important when choosing a nail tech if you were clients or if you are an employer. Would you ask your potential tech how long has she/he been doing nails or would you rather ask to see pictures of her/his work?
Would it mean much to you how long a tech in the industry?
I’ve read some job ads recently and found that the main criteria are experience and nothing about “please have your portfolio for interview” …

It would be really intersting to me to find out your thougts!
Thanks for any reply,
Alena.x

Personally, I'd rather see their work/portfolio. It doesn't matter how long someone has worked in a particular area, it doesn't mean they've done it well or professionally. Quality over quantity as they say :)

i would need to see the work.
there are some techs in my town who have been doing the same thing for 20 years and are still not doing great nails.:rolleyes:

At most job interviews for nail techs we are asked to do a trade test set of nails and then the salon owner will assess how well she thinks they have been done and will take note over the next couple of weeks how well they last hth

As a salon owner, I look for the quality of work.

You do need to have some length of experience, as the main bulk of a nail business (certainly our salon anyway) is infills.

There are so many nail types and shapes, problem nails to deal with, how to repair broken corners, silk repairs, sculptng on forms, dealing with lifting or air pockets.. etc and it is only experience that teaches you how to deal with all these scenarios.

For me personally, it would be both.

I would like to see that they've had continuous education, not just done a course 5 years ago and nothing else, as well as their actual work.

I would certainly expect them to bring a portfolio and also let them do a trade test.

M.

I know a person who after a year in nail industry became a Master artist educator for Ezflow(wont metion her name, she might mind) So definetly it's the qualify of work rather how long you have been within the industry... And as some of you have mentioned, there are people who work within industry for 10 years and more and still do low quality nails.

QUAILITY QUALITY QUALITY every time.

Even if a tech had no experience, if the quality of the work was great I'd hire.

You can only gain experience by working and if no one will hire without experience then how would anyone ever get it ..

Besides, what better place to start work experience than with a great technician/boss who has had loads of it and can help and guide them in their career path? I've done it with loads of girls, and they are still the best techs in Leeds today with the best businesses.

If you could say you trained at Designer Nails in Leeds, it was a passport to success. Sorry if that sounds big headed, but it happens to be true. :)

Thank you for all your replies,guys:)
Why I asked is we are planing to move from Peterborough I was thinking If I'll be able to find a job with my "5 oz." experiense:)...
I know a person who after a year in nail industry became a Master artist educator for Ezflow
I think we bouth know the same girl and her story is amazing!As her nails!!! She is really hard working and very dedicated technician and VERY kind person!

If you could say you trained at Designer Nails in Leeds, it was a passport to success. Sorry if that sounds big headed, but it happens to be true. :)

It doesn't sound big headed:) I think one of the main key to succes it to stick to the best in your industry,be around them,pick up every word they say and use it in life and in your work... I mean if you are tought by the best you are more likely have chance to join their line. (if you are ready to work as hard as they do of couse...)
Have a lovely day, Geeks.x

I was thinking what you Geeks think is more important when choosing a nail tech if you were clients or if you are an employer. Would you ask your potential tech how long has she/he been doing nails or would you rather ask to see pictures of her/his work?
Would it mean much to you how long a tech in the industry?
I’ve read some job ads recently and found that the main criteria are experience and nothing about “please have your portfolio for interview” …

It would be really intersting to me to find out your thougts!
Thanks for any reply,
Alena.x

I wouldn't care how long he/she has done nails PROVIDING the nails being done were fantastic... experience helps of course... but I know those that have done nails for 15 years and I see students on day 3 producing better work.

Teks get stuck in comfort zones using 'I trained 15 years a go' as their crutch... most haven't had updated training either and wonder why the newbies are streaking past them.:smack:

if it were me I would want to see him/her produce a full set... if the foundation and fundamentals are there but the nails aren't brilliant... I can get them to brilliant... but those that have 20 yrs behind them are the most unwilling to change so the hardest to challange!

There will be exceptions of course but... the above is true!! :idea:

I wouldn't care how long he/she has done nails PROVIDING the nails being done were fantastic... experience helps of course... but I know those that have done nails for 15 years and I see students on day 3 producing better work.

Teks get stuck in comfort zones using 'I trained 15 years a go' as their crutch... most haven't had updated training either and wonder why the newbies are streaking past them.:smack:

if it were me I would want to see him/her produce a full set... if the foundation and fundamentals are there but the nails aren't brilliant... I can get them to brilliant... but those that have 20 yrs behind them are the most unwilling to change so the hardest to challange!

There will be exceptions of course but... the above is true!! :idea:

I suppose if you want to train someone who has done it for years,they "think" they do not need any training.....:green:

I would want to see someones set of nails only because i would be paying for them so i want a good job,everyone is the same with everything,people are the same with tattoo's,they want to see our website,we get alot of customers from word of mouth and so and so recommended you....its the same with nails...word of mouth and people saying "go to her/him...they done mine ...they are brill".

Definately quality. There are nail technicians who have been in the business for years and are still producing rubbish. Length of time doesn't necessarily mean quality.

Although i wouldn't disregard experience i would look at trying to get both. But i definately wouldn't turn anyone away because of their lack of ecperience.

Latest posts

Back