Questions about acrylic nails and gel nails please help me!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineekezia

Reaction score
I've been doing acrylic nails with help from my friend whos a qualified technician as im training in nvq2&3 but they dont do acrylic nails, and i'm really good at them they look as good as they do in salons but i can just take them off don't have to use acetone or anything it's hard to get them off at the free edge cos of the nail glue, is this because i'm not using primer?????
I've only just discoverd primer today and didn't even know about it.

Also starting gel nails, what make is best to use, i'm looking at getting alot of it off ebay as i got all my ezflow acrylics off ebay brand new.

Thanks kay
www.kickinkaysbeauty.mfbiz.com

Which products are you training with at college?

This thread will help re buying from ebay (or not, as the case may be!)... http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/81348-ebay.html

Are you prepping the nails thoroughly enough before applying your product?
EZFlow liquid and powder requires a primer, however, I don't know how 'essential' it is to use it.
Hopefully some EZFlow techs will see your thread and be able to help more.

You must understand that you won't be insured to use L+P on anyone, not without the correct training in the product and a certificate.

Last edited:
I've been doing acrylic nails with help from my friend whos a qualified technician as im training in nvq2&3 but they dont do acrylic nails, and i'm really good at them they look as good as they do in salons but i can just take them off don't have to use acetone or anything it's hard to get them off at the free edge cos of the nail glue, is this because i'm not using primer?????

Also starting gel nails, what make is best to use, i'm looking at getting alot of it off ebay as i got all my ezflow acrylics off ebay brand new.

Thanks kay
www.kickinkaysbeauty.mfbiz.comhttp://www.kickinkaysbeauty.mfbiz.com

If you are getting your products off ebay, please be mindful that you will be required to use these products on your fellow students in college and on your models.

There are other students at my college who have purchased their products from ebay and to be honest, I refuse to allow them to apply them to my nails as there is no guarantee that they are the genuine products. Also, if you have insurance, I would check if you will be covered when using products that are not purchased from the authorised distributor.. Just some points to be mindful of :)

hi guys sorry for sounding rude or offending but im new here so please be nice,but exactly what are you covering in your nvqs,i would def question any nvq that doesnt cover all 3 systems(i did leval 2)and covered all 3 systems(l&p,wraps and gel, although i use the term covered very losley,we did the basics ) i would never buy any liquids or gels off ebay u just dont know what it really is.(but i do admit to buying nail art products sorry guys)have you considered trainning with a reputable company,i did some 1to1 with cnd and learnt more in one day than i did in 12 months sorry just a thought x:)

If you are getting your products off ebay, please be mindful that you will be required to use these products on your fellow students in college and on your models.

There are other students at my college who have purchased their products from ebay and to be honest, I refuse to allow them to apply them to my nails as there is no guarantee that they are the genuine products. Also, if you have insurance, I would check if you will be covered when using products that are not purchased from the authorised distributor.. Just some points to be mindful of :)

i'm shocked that the college tutor allows ebay kits. it would be much better if you were all using the same products from the same place wouldn't it.
are they a variety of brands?

hi guys sorry for sounding rude or offending but im new here so please be nice,but exactly what are you covering in your nvqs,i would def question any nvq that doesnt cover all 3 systems(i did leval 2)and covered all 3 systems(l&p,wraps and gel, although i use the term covered very losley,we did the basics ) i would never buy any liquids or gels off ebay u just dont know what it really is.(but i do admit to buying nail art products sorry guys)have you considered trainning with a reputable company,i did some 1to1 with cnd and learnt more in one day than i did in 12 months sorry just a thought x:)
I must admit i`ve bought rhinestones and dotting tools from ebay, but NEVER products. I always get my products from my distributor

Best thing i can suggest is....get some training so you understand the products you apply, how they last/aftercare/problems you may come across, and how to remove them.

Start as you mean to go on....cheapo ebay and watching a friend may give you the 'taste' for 'doing nails' but if you want to take it seriously go down the 'reputable training' route

Not to mention how you'd be covered insurance wise if you were to work on the public.

Is that your website advertised at the bottom?

You are offering acrylic nails on there yet your profile says you started in Sept 2008?

Who are you insured with?

Please correct me if i am wrong but you really should be knowing what primer is if you are selling this service to the public.

Im a little confused ref the website is that you?

Is that your website advertised at the bottom?

You are offering acrylic nails on there yet your profile says you started in Sept 2008?

Who are you insured with?

Please correct me if i am wrong but you really should be knowing what primer is if you are selling this service to the public.

Im a little confused ref the website is that you?[/quote]

I was thinking the same :irked:

i'm shocked that the college tutor allows ebay kits. it would be much better if you were all using the same products from the same place wouldn't it.
are they a variety of brands?

Yes, I know what you mean and I agree. They are using Ezflow for this course and students were given an Ezflow kit order form but the whole kit was just under three hundred pounds without a lamp so I think some have just gone and done their own thing. Some have NSI from their warehouse and ebay, some have salon systems from sally's, some have a variety of coloured acrylic powders and gels, no idea where they came from.

One lady produced a little plastic box full of little clear plastic pots full of coloured 'gels' with no names etc and was quite proud of where they were from and how little they cost. I also find it hard to believe that the college allow students to apply these products onto other students and clients nails but they do.

I guess it's a case of either they use them or they will leave the course and it will have an impact on their retention figures. Something else I've learned about studying at college.

You seem to enjoy nails, am I right? I suggest you bin those products and get some training first otherwise you will have all kinds of problems to deal with. I know its frustrating when you just wanna get in there and do it but unless you get some training from a qualified educator you will never be able to start offering it as a service legitimately. At least give EzFlow or Sweet Squared a bell and enquire, ask them to send their training brochure to you and then you can see which you prefer.

Yes, I know what you mean and I agree. They are using Ezflow for this course and students were given an Ezflow kit order form but the whole kit was just under three hundred pounds without a lamp so I think some have just gone and done their own thing. Some have NSI from their warehouse and ebay, some have salon systems from sally's, some have a variety of coloured acrylic powders and gels, no idea where they came from.

One lady produced a little plastic box full of little clear plastic pots full of coloured 'gels' with no names etc and was quite proud of where they were from and how little they cost. I also find it hard to believe that the college allow students to apply these products onto other students and clients nails but they do.

I guess it's a case of either they use them or they will leave the course and it will have an impact on their retention figures. Something else I've learned about studying at college.

yes, a lot of it is about bums on seats in college and making the figures look good.
if i was the tutor there id be furious. it should be agreed at the enrollment that the college purchases the kits via a proper didstributor on behalf of the students. although from what i have read on here about college courses, maybe even the tutor doesnt know the importance of quality product?:rolleyes:

Thanks kay
www.kickinkaysbeauty.mfbiz.comhttp://www.kickinkaysbeauty.mfbiz.com

Who are you training with besides from your friend???
You shouldnt be practising on anybody if you are not properly qualified and insured. It shocks me to see that on your website you are offering acrylic nails when you havent even been trained in them.
This kind of cowboy attitude to the nail industry is a law suit waiting to happen and is the kind of thing that gives us a bad name. Im sorry if I seem harsh but you have come on a professional site asking us questions and those of us on here have paid out a fortune for our training find it gobsmacking when someone comes along and asks questions when they havent even had the correct training and rave on about buying products on e***.
I would do as sknight suggests and give EZFlow or Sweetsquared a ring and get some proper professional training. You wont regret it and you will be able to get proper insurance after training with these guys.
HTH
Jen

Latest posts

Back