Quick thread about "travellers"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said, I always lived close by Roman gypsies so I know how it is... simple, it is a fact. You can google it, how it is in Slovakia, Poland, Romania, Hungry..

Ashamed of what ?
This can go on forever...
I said what I think and no post will change my opinion but real life, sorry. I'm done.

Have I quoted you or refered to you?
I have seen many posts on this thread which are sweeping generalisations and quite frankly racist.
Anasian man tried to drag me into his car when I was 16 so all Asians are rapists? No I think not, and I would never insinuate so on an open forum as it could be construed as initiating hate speech

?
I have seen many posts on this thread which are sweeping generalisations and quite frankly racist.

Pleaseeee... :lol:

Sadly, my only experience with gypsies has also been quite terrifying. As a young girl, I can remember my Dad constantly blighted by them stealing his equipment. Police were involved but the reprise from the gypsies would have been worse if my dad actually tried to Perdue a prosecution.

Some years ago, whilst out having coffee, my husband (a policeman) and I were approached by a gypsy man who asked if he could join us. Instantly we felt threatened. After 30 seconds or so he excused himself to go to the bathroom, he asked us to watch his rucksac. God only knows what his next move was but we swiftly lift his bag and got outta there.

Lately, there has been gypsies targeting elderly people throughout the whole of our region. Claiming to do guttering work then ransacking the houses of any valuables. I think it's really difficult to see the good when all I've witnessed is terror and deceit.

Just out of interest how did you know this man was a traveler/gypsie? Did he have a ferret down his trousers and a lurched on a piece of string? Perhaps he had "gypsie" tattooed on his head? Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge? After al 30 seconds and you had established he was going to hurt you in some way or rob you..hope people take longer before they judge me..

No I wasn't asking for bad experiences just educating but I understand that people have had bad experiences that's cool about there opinion.

There are lots on things that happen in country life that a lot of true gypsies do not agree with.

So I'm now going to turn the tabe on it rear end not my opinions as I'm open minded and do not judge at all and certainly do not think all are like this but here we go:

Pedophiles,rapists,drug dealers,child abuse,killing your own community or other community's,underage sex,baby boom amongst young people,sex out of marriage,drinking on the streets,naked girls getting a bit of how's ya father up an alley,girls falling around drunk,ambulances getting called because of people being so drunk waist of the tax payees money may I add.

Are just some of the things you will ot see in a true traveller community.

So before we judge each other let's look at facts hard solid facts.:hug:

No I wasn't asking for bad experiences just educating but I understand that people have had bad experiences that's cool about there opinion.

There are lots on things that happen in country life that a lot of true gypsies do not agree with.

So I'm now going to turn the tabe on it rear end not my opinions as I'm open minded and do not judge at all and certainly do not think all are like this but here we go:

Pedophiles,rapists,drug dealers,child abuse,killing your own community or other community's,underage sex,baby boom amongst young people,sex out of marriage,drinking on the streets,naked girls getting a bit of how's ya father up an alley,girls falling around drunk,ambulances getting called because of people being so drunk waist of the tax payees money may I add.

Are just some of the things you will ot see in a true traveller community.

So before we judge each other let's look at facts hard solid facts.:hug:

Here here, my point exactly ;)

Trying to talk generally, and not getting at anyone who has posted, these have always been my thoughts.....

It is part of human nature, (the less pleasant side), that people like/need to look down on other types of people.

We have seen it in the past with different ethnicities, sexual orientation, social standing etc, etc.
Nowadays it seems to be acceptable to be very open with criticism, or even downright hatred of Gypsies. Although illegal, some pubs, for example, will specify who is not admitted. I have seen, with my own eyes, how some schools will discourage enrolment. If you ever read the top-rated reader comments in the Daily Mail on Traveller articles you will see how sweeping and vitriolic they are.

I'm sure that I can be judgemental. I'm sure I have my own prejudices. I do cringe though at how Gypsies are slated.
I would like to think that their way of life is at least tolerated, and at best preserved as part of our heritage.

This sort of post is what has angered me, the OP was not asking for your bad experiences with her community. Have you seen how some Brits act when they go out drinking? Having sex in the street with strangers, being sick, being abusive, flashing, falling over? Don't see many traveler girls doing this..no wonder they have no respect for our setted community when we behave like this whilst calling them derogatory names and saying 90% act the way your saying.

Sorry it offended you but it's true, none of the english/Asian customers didn't act the way some of the gypsies did. I am saying this is a shame x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

We could talk about this till weir blue in the face but its not going to change people opinions!
Colleen I think u were referring to my post that may have got a tad heated and some of the things I said were of personal experiences and also general opinions which I admit were wrong of me to do so!
But I can't quite u dear stand why u have posted this! It isn't going to change people's opinions!!

I used to have my own pub and through this came to meet a lot of gypsies.
They used to come in the pub get drunk, their kids would be in the toilet stuffing toilet roll down there , pooing on the carpet and some of the grown ups would actually pee where they were sitting and drinking.
I have to say that they are brought up totally different to us, they aren't the same as us at all.
They have called me names, threatened to kill me, burn the pub down, steal from me and that's just because i wouldn't serve them a drink because they had enough.
I take people as i find them and i did give them the benefit of the doubt (considering they were barred from this pub when i took over) and that's how they treated me and where i worked so in general i don't have a high opinion of them unless they show me different.
Nobody would change my mind because ive known enough of them.
The list could go on and on about the things they done.
There were maybe one or two who i respected and gave me respect.

We could talk about this till weir blue in the face but its not going to change people opinions!
Colleen I think u were referring to my post that may have got a tad heated and some of the things I said were of personal experiences and also general opinions which I admit were wrong of me to do so!
But I can't quite u dear stand why u have posted this! It isn't going to change people's opinions!!

Not just your post and I am not trying to have an argument either.Have you read all of this thread or just want you wanted to.I haven't argued with you and after our debate did I not reply to one of you threads with no chip on my shoulder.

I have been nothing but nice on this thread and I'm not making it my life's work to change people's opinions I was just stating that were not all the same and putting my point across which I have the right to do so.

If you and others haven't met nice gypsies or genuine gypsies then that's a shame because if you did it may change your opinions on some gypsies.

There are good and bad in all walks of life do you dislike other origins because of there behaviour or your own origin because of there behaviour ie the minority.

I think if you were to meet me you would realise were not all the same

Last edited:
Not just your post and I am not trying to have an argument either.Have you read all of this thread or just want you wanted to.I haven't argued with you and after our debate did I not reply to one of you threads with no chip on my shoulder.

I have been nothing but nice on this thread and I'm not making it my life's work to change people's opinions I was just stating that were not all the same and putting my point across which I have the right to do so.

If you and others haven't met nice gypsies or genuine gypsies then that's a shame because if you did it may change your opinions on some gypsies.

There are good and bad in all walks of life do you dislike other origins because of there behaviour or your own origin because of there behaviour ie the minority.

I think if you were to meet me you would realise were not all the same

Have u read what I put colleen!
I wasn't trying to argue I was trying to be nice about it!
Seems like u just like to argue!

As I said I was wrong! But it's not going change people's opinions!!!

Have u read what I put colleen!
I wasn't trying to argue I was trying to be nice about it!
Seems like u just like to argue!

As I said I was wrong! But it's not going change people's opinions!!!

Yes I did read what you have written and no I'm not arguing if I was going to argue I would have done it 2pages ago.

It's the I don't understand why you have started this thread and your not going to change people's opinions with all the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everywhere in your post. Do you not see that that could be taken as being rude.

Like I said I'm not arguing at all life's to short and my original post was not argumentative infact was kinda taking the piss out myself.

I except you saying you were wrong that's cool no bigy.

And I did not start this thread to try and change people's opinions or world domination :lol: just to put my side acros which I have done with dignity

I have not argued at all in this thread and if you actually took time to read my threads and posts and blogs since I started on sg you will see I'm not argumentative and a bit of a clown really

Sorry I always put !!!! It's just a habit of mine!
If it offended u I'm sorry

Sorry I always put !!!! It's just a habit of mine!
If it offended u I'm sorry

Ahh for fleck sake you haven't offended me I've got thicker skin than a god damn rhino.:lol:

I'm not arguing but stating the facts about me and my origins people are entitled to what they want to say as am I and I take no offence until it becomes nasty and so far only a lil bit of that has happened and I have pretty much ignored that poster.

No offence taken to your!!!!!!! But no need to shout!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Hi geeks well I've read a few threads of late which has mentioned "travellers" in the op's words not mine lol.

Either that the children are unruly or "travellers" parents don't care about discipline or "travellers" letting there dogs kill other animals.

Now this is very unfair as not all gypsies are the same.A very small minority of gypsies set the tone and stereo type for the rest.

Traveller children in the majority are very well behaved and the parents are very on the ball with there children.Not all gypsies want to Tarmac your drive,not all gypsies want to cut down your tree and not all gypsies want to pitch there trailer on your front garden or private property lol.

If you were to meet a true gypsie you would be pleasantly supprised as the
majority are more like yourselves than you think.

Now some on here know and some on here may not know I am a gypsie my father is.My mum isnt a gypsie.I have always lived in a house always went to school a very good school at that,I've always worked,never stole anything in my life,NEVER TARMACED a drive :lol:,never has my dog killed another animal and never would I let him and my child is very well behaved and I do care about how she behaves .

I fit quite nicely into country life and no one would "suspect" I'm a gypsie but you know what I'm proud of who I am and I would like some people to not judge because of a minority as there are people from all walks of life that have a minority off asses living amongst them.

Love and respect geeks.x

Iv not read the other posts but well said. I trained with a gypsy, a gypsy family live over the road from me, and I have a few gypsy friends.
An old manager of mine was quite nasty towards the local community and wanted them watched when in store, would say nasty things when try had left etc... Then had the cheek to have a fit that some of my friends were travellers.
My neighbours daughter moved away after secondary school and got a scholarship so she could escape the comments, she's now in UNi doing a law degree to become a lawyer and eventually work her way to being a judge. No tarmark. Her brothers are a little more "stereotype" as in they are a bit of jack of all trades, and although I'm asked often if I'm scared having neighbours "like them" I have to admit I feel safer with gypsy neighbours than without, I know they look out for our house as we do theirs and can guarantee they would be the first to call police/fire/ ambulance should the need arise.

Its a shame the minority have given a bad name to travellers, but hopefully "country folk" will accept them more and realise that on a percentage basis the bad eggs are the same as country folk xoxo

Everyone judges, everyone has predjudice what a wonderful world if we didn't and that goes for those that say they are predjudiced against they are sometimes the worst not wanting to accept people out of their own cultures or adjust in anyway.I think The English are probably the most accepting and tolerant and charitable people in the whole world.

Well done colleen for staying cool... Good on you for respecting others comments, it's easy for posts to divert down a slippery path where posts get closed.
It all depends on how the person posting and or reading interprets them too .

If any one of us passionate about a subject it is bound to be strong.
No matter what think or feel we have to accept each individuals personal view and experiences without 'labelling' one and all. 😳

Haha!!!!! :p xxx

Well done colleen for staying cool... Good on you for respecting others comments, it's easy for posts to divert down a slippery path where posts get closed.
It all depends on how the person posting and or reading interprets them too .

If any one of us passionate about a subject it is bound to be strong.
No matter what think or feel we have to accept each individuals personal view and experiences without 'labelling' one and all. 😳

Well yes that's it isn't it you have to keep cool I don't want this thread closed.

Everyone is entitled to opinions it would be a boring old world wouldn't it if everyone's views were the same.

Yes labelling you are right no one likes a label x

hiya , my dads side of the family are " travellers " it goes way back from my grandads parents , that was many years ago , all my family live in houses and have " normal jobs " but however i have had the your a gyppo or pykie i have even had people do the banjo from deliverance implying interbreeding ( my parents are not related ) and none of my family are interbred , i think people need to like people for who they are , not their age , gender , sexuality and the list goes on ! people within the traveling community are everyday people like the rest of the population , i think this country needs to get a grip and not be so judgmental , i am proud of my family history XxX:wink2:

Latest posts

Back