Radiotherapy client - deodorant issue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katykitten

Reaction score
Wonder if any skin geeks or geeks with any personal experience can help me with this......

I have a client coming in tomorrow for some waxing, she was diagnosed with breast cancer some while ago and had been receiving radiotherapy

When booking the appointment she mentioned that ever since starting radiotherapy, she cant wear underarm deodorant. She has tried many types, but they all sting her skin so much, she has to instantly wash it off

She is most upset about this as she says that she doesn't feel clean and ends up washing herself 3 times a day instead

I feel so sorry for her, she is such a lovely lady and I want to do my very best for her but I haven't (luckily!) had any experience with clients who have received such treatment

Does anyone have an ideas/suggestions as to something she could try? I told her I would ask other professionals tonight and do a bit of research and her face lit up, she was so thankful

Any comments gratefully received xx

Ask her if she's tried crystal deodorants

I've never tried this but have heard natural crystal deodorants are a natural, safer and therefore I am guessing maybe more gentle, less irritating for her.

Have a look:
Salt of the Earth – Totally Natural Deodorant -

Holland and Barratt sell them. Hth.

Hi - had a quick google search but couldn't find anything conclusive.

Maybe something with aloe vera would be soothing and wouldn't do any harm?

I would suggest that she goes back to her doctor (which she probably already has done!) and tells them about her problem, they may know of something she could try, poor lady.

hth x

I would suggest that she goes back to her doctor (which she probably already has done!) and tells them about her problem, they may know of something she could try, poor lady

Thanks, she did and he said try unperfumed deodorants, but she has the same reaction

To be honest, i'd be more worried that waxing would cause her the same problem :confused:

But i'd second the crystal deodorant or try Australian bodycare deodorant. I had a client who decided one day to wax her own underarms and severely burnt and scarred her underarms so normally deodorant stung like crazy! She used this for a few months and was right as rain. :)

To be honest, i'd be more worried that waxing would cause her the same problem :confused:

But i'd second the crystal deodorant or try Australian bodycare deodorant. I had a client who decided one day to wax her own underarms and severely burnt and scarred her underarms so normally deodorant stung like crazy! She used this for a few months and was right as rain. :)

I wouldn't imagine she's having her underarms waxed. Or maybe just the one.

lol sorry, I meant else where on her skin. If she's having problems in one area, she may have problems in other areas too. xx

What about looking into the Dermalogica environmental control deoderant. It is a balm and is supposed to be for anyone that is super sensitive

I wouldn't imagine she's having her underarms waxed. Or maybe just the one.

lol sorry, I meant else where on her skin. If she's having problems in one area, she may have problems in other areas too. xx

Apologies, my fault, I should have made myself clearer. I'm not waxing her underarms, just lower leg and lip. She just mentioned when booking the problem with the deodorant. I did ask and she doesn't have the problem anywhere else on her body xx

Last edited:
It will more than likely be the radiotherapy that has burnt your client and that could be why she is having a reaction to the ingredients in the deoderant.

Please do be careful though when waxing this lady as chemotherapy as this is a systemic treatment/radiotherapy can have serious effects on the skin such a peeling, flaking, soreness, blisters.

Last edited:
I would be really carefull waxing your client. I know every case is different but my Mum finished having Radiotherapy last December for breast cancer and she has been told not to use any heat source on her body and when she accidentally has it has brought her up in what looks like a red burn. She must avoid the sun and all heat sources any where on her body and was told deffinately no waxing as she use to have her eyebrows waxed. I would be really carefull with this.

My Mum has been told no deoderant yet too and she is uncomfortable but when she is allowed it must not be a spray. Green people do a good un-scented aloe vera your client could purchase also weleda do a really nice rose fragrance deo, it is a spray though but only a pump so not sure if that is ok.

Hope this helps. xxx

Sorry to add another salt crystal deodorant to the mix but I have been very impressed by this Perspi-Rock Natural, effective crystal rock deodorant. as I felt it wouldn't be strong enough but I find I smell more :eek: with normal deodorants than this! Sorry to be graphic too!.

I have just remembered a web site where I got the information from on deoderants that you could direct your client to it is Penny Brohn Cancer Care - Home Page it was fromerly known as Bristol Cancer Centre and they have a lot of advice on life style for cancer patients but are also really helpful if you ring about products and they have crystal rock deodorants and green people roll on deodorants on their web site. Hope this helps xxx

Latest posts

Back