Reaction to hopi ear candleing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutopaz

Reaction score
Hi all,

for the last few years i have used ear candles but the last few times i have been getting a great deal of discomfort a day or so after lasting up to a week

the most recent occurrence caused severe ear infections in both ears, horrible discharge, deafness and agonising pain.

it took two courses of anti biotics, ear drops, anti inflammatory's and very strong pain killers....hence to say i wont be doing it ever again.

i love the clean feeling after them but i cant risk that again, my question is why?

i do not have any ear problems or perforated ear drums to my knowledge so why the problems?

thanks in advance :)

Do not know much about hopi ear candling but could it be anything to do with the type of wax, ie perhaps you have an allergy to a specific brand or type.

It is the first time I've heard of a reaction of this sort. Hopefully someone with experience of this service will be able to shed some light.

I was thinking of having it done, now I don't think I'll bother xx

now i feel bad, please don't let me put u off it, its a great feeling, and the problems are only a recent thing for me, but this time it was more then i could bare,

i couldnt even sleep lying down the pain was so much in my ears, took two weeks to shift and even being drugged up on painkillers barely softened the pain.

U could have a point, i buy them in bulk from a website and i think they did change the range i used to buy to another a little while ago.

im to scared to buy any others tho to test the theory! hopefully as u say someone else can shed some light :)

Hi all,

for the last few years i have used ear candles but the last few times i have been getting a great deal of discomfort a day or so after lasting up to a week

the most recent occurrence caused severe ear infections in both ears, horrible discharge, deafness and agonising pain.

it took two courses of anti biotics, ear drops, anti inflammatory's and very strong pain killers....hence to say i wont be doing it ever again.

i love the clean feeling after them but i cant risk that again, my question is why?

i do not have any ear problems or perforated ear drums to my knowledge so why the problems?

thanks in advance :)

If you have been using these devices for a good few years and only had problems the last few times...could the problem be one inside your ear rather than the use of the device itself...maybe an infection etc.

A long shot but a shot anyway's.

Hoping your ear recovers and doesn't disrupt your Easter :hug:

Hi,
I really don't think they would "cause infection" but could have made a small dormant infection worse. Can I ask why you do them anyway - if you do them yourself does this not take away the relaxation aspect as it is uncomfortable to do them yourself, or do you do them to alleviate a minor problem? If you have changed brands then it could be a different ingredient/ratio, or you could just become sensitive to something at any time.
Hope this helps.
JES x

one of the contra indications is ear infection, so maybe you've used them with a slight infection, you may have sensitised yourself to some of the ingredients.

take a break from using them, the biosun range do a variety of essential oil blends, so perhaps try a different blend as it may be the chamomile and sage that you have sensitised yourself too.

if you are not using biosun ones, then try using the biosun ones, you didn't say which brand you were using, and then said that the supplier had changed brand, so I am assuming it was not biosun.

Hi,
I really don't think they would "cause infection" but could have made a small dormant infection worse. Can I ask why you do them anyway - if you do them yourself does this not take away the relaxation aspect as it is uncomfortable to do them yourself, or do you do them to alleviate a minor problem? If you have changed brands then it could be a different ingredient/ratio, or you could just become sensitive to something at any time.
Hope this helps.
JES x

hi Jes, i dont do them for relaxing as such, although it does force me to lay still for half hour whilst there burning. i do them for the clean feeling after and the satisfaction of knowing the debris and wax is in the candle and not my ears, lol im kinda hooked at waiting to see whats in there!

i know it sounds odd but i don't have any problems with my ears until the morning after the night iv done it, then they start to throb and get painful and loose hearing obviously from the swelling in the ear canal.

i dont do them that often now, just to keep on top of it, as iv done them for so long, must be getting on four years or so, id say once every 4/5 months but the last couple of years the symptons have got more intense until finally resulting in the latest infection 3 weeks ago.

im struggling to think i would have an infection present everytime to cause the reaction, sounds more logical that iv sensitised myself to the candles or im reacting to the newer ones.

i dont use biosun, the ones i use are just a plain simple natural beeswax candle, the cheapest the website sells. maybe i should try a different one or just not use them again.

thanks for all ur advice its much appreciated :hug:

long shot . .but i know its possible.

Could it be your causing yourself to remove too much ear wax..or your melting your ear wax which u'v got too much of and it's not coming out of your ear.

never had a problem with to much ear wax, whats normally in the candle in the end is mainly debris and a very very small amount of wax, which is why i dont do it often :S

I think it is quite possible you have done yourself harm.Ear candling should not be done willy nilly,some of the comments here are a lot of rubbish they do not suck out your ear wax and you cant melt your own ear wax.It is something best left in trained hands using the right sorts of candles most insured trained therapists only use bio sun.

i dont use biosun, the ones i use are just a plain simple natural beeswax candle, the cheapest the website sells.

then I would suggest you try biosun candles, they have been made under lab conditions and have a CE mark so that you know you are getting the same standard each time.

I would not use the other candles, you dont know whats in them, and how they are made.

I think it is quite possible you have done yourself harm.Ear candling should not be done willy nilly,some of the comments here are a lot of rubbish they do not suck out your ear wax and you cant melt your own ear wax.It is something best left in trained hands using the right sorts of candles most insured trained therapists only use bio sun.

I have to agree with Gillian 100% on this.

Can I asked if your are trained in ear candling to ? If not then its not really the sort of treatment you should be performing on yourself as it can cause some serious damage.

then I would suggest you try biosun candles, they have been made under lab conditions and have a CE mark so that you know you are getting the same standard each time.

I would not use the other candles, you dont know whats in them, and how they are made.

Thanks Guru, ur help is much appreciated :hug:

Latest posts

Back