Rebalancing Custom Blends

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathie!

Reaction score
Good evening.

Just wondering how everyone rebalances their custom blends.

Do you rebalance as normal or do you fille off the free edge and resculpt it, so avoidining any potential shadowing from the old opaque pink?

I haven't done many of this type of rebalance as most of my clients are regular pink and white, so just thought I'd see what everyone else is doing at the mo.

Cheers x

I just file down and rebalance as normal, with no problems, hth :hug:

Cathie is depends with me, I used to just file down but then after talking to Gigi, I now sometimes just clip off the white, reshape my custom blend the sculpt on a new white, the great thing about custom blend as you know( I aint telling you how to suck eggs here :o) is that you can allow for so much re-growth. So, it is sometimes just easier to clip off, refile the custom blend and re-apply, anything between that is mainly a infill and checking balance etc.

hth :)

I think I tend to file down more the first and second rebal,
But then by the 3rd I don't have to file as much as the first white applied has gone by then and the whole free edge is now just sitting on top of the original custom blend colour, so from then on I kind of am applying the white over the layer of cbm so it is thinner anyway...

Hope that makes some kind of sense :lol: coz I am reading it back and I am not sure if it does lmao...

Cathi, for me a lot depends on the nails being rebalanced, i do the same as and agree with, loubylou, fifitrix and emmsybabes ( hows that for sitting on the fence and taking bets either way :lol:)
I have found that when replacing zone 2 I prefer to use a small bead of clear to clamp and feather over the white so not to get custom blend shadow over the whites.
My most preferred technique however is, traditional rebalance, thin zone 1, check and correct zone 2, prepare zone 3. (maybe because that is what I have always done, tbh I do the other methods as well but they seem to take me longer - I require more practice:green:)
Application zone 1 white, zone 2 small clear, zone 3 custom blend.

Cheers girls. I was doing some the other day but it was rebalancing a regular pink and white set with an opaque pink, some nails were missing so new nails were required which I reverse sculped. I rebalanced the remaining nails the traditional way but found it to be a bit of a pain but that could be because I was placing white on white to extend the bed.

After I'd done it I thought to myself that it would have been easier to file off the free edge and start again which brought about the question to see how everyone else does it.

:hug:

Cheers girls. I was doing some the other day but it was rebalancing a regular pink and white set with an opaque pink, some nails were missing so new nails were required which I reverse sculped. I rebalanced the remaining nails the traditional way but found it to be a bit of a pain but that could be because I was placing white on white to extend the bed.

After I'd done it I thought to myself that it would have been easier to file off the free edge and start again which brought about the question to see how everyone else does it.

:hug:

I 99% of the time, remove the free edge and sculpt a new one. I find it quick and easy and very little filing (which is a good thing for you, Cathie).

I use clippers to remove the free edge and then file in a new smile. :green:

I 99% of the time, remove the free edge and sculpt a new one. I find it quick and easy and very little filing (which is a good thing for you, Cathie).

How does this apply when you have a NNO?

Surely it means constantly removing the clients natural free edge and sculpting in a white free edge, so the clients NNO is gone iykwim?

I have thought about filing off zone 1 & re sculpting, but felt that it defeats trying to work with the natural nail -am I making any sense here lol? I don't think my clients would appreciate it if I removed the free edge as they are happy that their own nails are the same length as their enhancement - or have I misunderstood what's being said?

As for my CB rebalances, I do them as any normal P&W, and layer the CB powder as I would at the 1st application with no visible marbeling. It does mean that I am removing a lot of product, which has made me consider buying an efile for the debulking so it will be quicker for me & the client.

I have been in a little ker-fuffle over maintaining CB's, At first I layed the powder thinly in zone 2 and half of 3 then applied sheer pink to cap, then I would refill in just sheer pink and rewhite by filing nearly everything off and re-applying :!:. I now reverse zone 3&2 using the CB then apply my whites - no capping and wasting of product.

I rebalance as normal, but I do work a bit dryer with my white to make sure I don't get shadowing. Interesting to see how people do it differently!!

Oh my blimey !!!!

This makes 100% sense to me now,
Before I was thinking of this as trimming down the old white, and just placing a new white ontop of product already there....I was thinking but wouldn't the nails be shorter and shorter lol,
Why the heck was I thinking this ???

Ahhh well now I understand I will give it a go, omg this would save so much time !!! (and none achey arm's yay )

How does this apply when you have a NNO?

Surely it means constantly removing the clients natural free edge and sculpting in a white free edge, so the clients NNO is gone iykwim?

I have thought about filing off zone 1 & re sculpting, but felt that it defeats trying to work with the natural nail -am I making any sense here lol? I don't think my clients would appreciate it if I removed the free edge as they are happy that their own nails are the same length as their enhancement - or have I misunderstood what's being said?

As for my CB rebalances, I do them as any normal P&W, and layer the CB powder as I would at the 1st application with no visible marbeling. It does mean that I am removing a lot of product, which has made me consider buying an efile for the debulking so it will be quicker for me & the client.

I hear what you are saying, but my clients generally do what I advise them to do (if they know what is good for them :green:). When I have explained that using my method will give their free edge a really good protection and also eliminate any curling or separation issues for them entirely then they are more than happy to let me do them my way.

As you all know, my signature style is a long nail bed and a short zone one. My Zone 1 is never much longer than 1/4 of the length of the visible nail bed (whether it be natural or done with a custom blended opaque powder). There is not much white in front of the natural nail free edge. I think some technicians and clients can make too much of a thing about this NNO business. It is still a NNO with a bit more protection.

Latest posts

Back