Recession - What do you plan on changing in January 2009

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ooo thanks!
I've even registered the domain name makeupshakeup.co.uk, and the idea is that it's a way to make the most of what you've got in the way of makeup rather than buying yet more and still not really knowing what to do with it. I'm thinking of doing makeup shakeup parties too, where people can get an idea of the general "rules" with makeup, and if they have specific makeup issues ("I need a quick and easy look for work - help!") I can show them how to fix them.

Yep thats is a brilliant idea.:idea: Very clever, well done!! It's certainly a service I would use. Good luck with it.

I def will look at making changes as 3 new discount nail bars opened and the moaning about rec****** is bringing me down.
I am promoting my salon big time with a big enphasis on me getting my masters, wedding parties, birthday parties and the feel good factor. I do not really want to re-jig my prices as I feel for nearly 8 yrs in nails they are totally justified. I do want to bring a sliding scale with nail tech, senior and master - you choose who do you want to do your nails?
I want more SPA mani and pedi's and natural nail care and maybe will enter a competition.
I want to shout my name from the rooftops and be HEARD! This salon needs buzz and I am the person to do that.

I'm loving reading everyones positive ideas.:green:

I have sent everyone in my database a Christmas card which contains a £5 off during Jan/Feb voucher. Even if they were only here once during the year! They won't ecape me :lol::lol:

I'm loving reading everyones positive ideas.:green:

I have sent everyone in my database a Christmas card which contains a £5 off during Jan/Feb voucher. Even if they were only here once during the year! They won't ecape me :lol::lol:

Im doing this too ;)
Cait:green:

It is really hard not to get caught up in the fear that goes with "recession". I believe customer service is the key. If I go to the store today the products are the same as all the other stores. The only thing that keeps me shopping at "this" store is customer service. I also tend to concentrate on the more conservative client that just wants her hair done or a good manicure or can't reach her feet anymore. You know, the bread and butter client. Not as thrilling as the 27 inch electric blue mohawk but they are there every week or two. I might run a two for one special, a punch card or a free add-on of some kind. I probably won't raise prices but I won't lower them either. I will be more conscientious about waste and volume shopping. The best advice I got when I opened my salon was "first of all protect the business". I ultimately lost my salon but not because I didn't take care of my clients. It was internal politics and maybe I became complacent and didn't see the signs. I'm still soul searching that one. But I can still work and there are still people that need and want our service. Our industry has survived worse than this. It has been around since we were thrown out of "the garden" and first realized we couldn't reach the back of our head. They have found our tools in ancient sites. So buck up girls and boys. The world still needs us.

Great thread!

I'm also giving each hair client in the salon a voucher for Jan 2009. Mine goes with the making a New Years Resolution theme.

Why not make a resolution that you can keep and make more time for you this New Year. To help you on your way all you have to do is bring this voucher with you to in January and recieve a free brow tidy wax worth £5 when you have a brow and lash tint together. Go on you deserve it!

Then when they come in for their treatment in January they get another £5 off voucher for their 2nd visit in Feb that they can use once they've referred a friend who uses one of my services too and the friend gets £5 off a service worth £15 or over. Then when they visit me for a 3rd time in March (I'm positively thinking they will still be with me!) they'll get a further £5 voucher as a thankyou for referring their friend.

In March/ early spring, instead of money off, I'll be offering extra services such as get your tootsies ready for the summer, have a full set of sexy Creative acrylics and get a mini pedicure half price or recieve a luxury foot lotion (sample size) or perhaps buy a half leg wax and get your underarms half price or recieve a Scentsations lotion free.

Not thought too far ahead cos I always end up changing my mind :)

Hi All
I have decided to go for it and do a 50% off treatments throughout january. I figure its better to have some custom than nothing i think at the moment things are tough but people are splashing out for xmas but in january i think theyl need tempting quite a bit, my prices can afford to be 50% off too so i suppose it depends on what your prices are at the moment if there already quite cheap then i suppose you could maybe just do 30% off or lower.
Good luck to you all i hope 2009 is a good year for your business's

xx

the Make up shake up is a good idea and works for me. I have always done make up lessons with clients using their own make up in my treatment menu rather than have a brand to do it with. i got the idea from having previously taught make up lessons at college to ladies who had absolutely loads of the stuff but just never had the confidence to put it on or how to, i knew it would be a winner. I have done lots of lessons and I have set up a booklet with diagrams and tips and ideas, there is also a face on it for them to write down how they do things with me to remind them in future. I always demonstrate first then get them to apply themselves, this way they remember and also feel more confident when on their own.

x
I am offering a few complimentary add ons to treatments and also offering a deluxe man or ped for the same price as standard.

ill be pounding the pavements when im free doing leaflet drops - im almoost fully booked the last 3 months ,but ive a horrible feeling it will nosedive in jan so ive saved up to cover my overheads ( freelance hairdresser) and am preparing to gather more clients - ill also be giving a happy new year voucher out to my existing clients - i wasnt organised enougth to get them printed for christmas lol .

I thinking of extending the salon software I have in one salon to the other two. I've trialed it in one salon for 6 months and it has paid for itself in terms of extra revenue. It also simplifies the promotional campaigning we all have to do in January as I can send SMS directly from my PC (no more leaflet canvasing- thank god!) xx

I have posted christmas cards to everyone who has ever been in the salon,
i have put a double sided voucher in the cards offering 20% off any treatment in Jan/Feb on one side
and on the other side i have a 3 for the price of 2 spray tans for Jan,
they can use either or both offers,
fingers crossed it will bring in some repeat business

I am doing the £5 gift voucher thing too and I loved someone elses idea about the 'share the secret' scheme so im going to do that too and launch it in jan. basically i will give my existing clients say 5 share the secret cards with their name on the back. they then give 1 to 5 of their friends. when their friend comes in with the card and gives it to me, the original client gets £5 off their next treatment with me. The new client then gets 5 share the secret cards to give out and so on....

Our industry has survived worse than this. It has been around since we were thrown out of "the garden" and first realized we couldn't reach the back of our head. They have found our tools in ancient sites. So buck up girls and boys. The world still needs us.

This is such a good way of putting it. Gave me goosebumps!!
x

Latest posts

Back