Refused to spray tan a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownt62

Reaction score
Hi

I just refused to spray tan a client who made her appointment with me this morning for 6.00 p.m. this evening and when I arrived she told me she was going out on the town (dinner and clubbing) in two hours time!! She was going to wear the most devine vivid orange dress and stunning shoes...she was very young - would say about 19/20 yrs old...

Did I do the right thing?.... I am new at spray tanning but I really felt it would be 'madness' to go ahead..

Would appreciate your opinion please:eek:
Thanks
Janet

Well I think you showed how deeply consciencious you are, wanting to make sure she had the best possible results from your service, which she clearly wouldn't have got by going out clubbing in two hours' time.

I sometimes have near nervous breakdowns when my clients reveal what they really get up to after I leave.....

So did you actually give her the choice of whether to go ahead (obviously explaining the pitfalls of such a decision), or did you just point blank refuse? Was she upset?

Did you have any retail stuff you could've sold her (instant Jessica Aerotan, Fake Bake Faux Glo, Sienna-x Ultimate Tan-in-a-Can)?

Well done though, definitely shows you got scruples.

xx

I think I would have gone ahead but told her that she was mad!! In a nice way!

That way it's up to her if she still wanted to go ahead or not. She could actually now be telling all her friends you wouldn't spray tan her :eek: not good for business!

I know what your saying though don't get me wrong I just would have explined to her in FULL why her tan would not be at its best and then let her decide.

Hope that helps,

Kim x

I would have tanned her, I would have told her the pitfalls but then its her decision really... I have had clients go shopping, go clubbing, all sorts! Up to them really, just dont call me the next day telling me its all patchy!! lol

Hi Sunspray

Thank you for your kind comments.... I said I could give her a light spray and dry her with the hose as best I could but that I was not very happy with it... she then seemed hesitant and asked me what I would recommend. I told her my recommendation was to forget it and asked her did she have any 'ordinary' wash off tan and she said she had so I suggested she put that on instead (good point about having some stock with me - will do so in future)... She was a little sweetie apologising for putting me to the trouble and that she was going out next weekend and would definitely call me next week.

I know I would have been worried all night thinking that it was streaking, running or rubbing off on others etc. etc. so for my own peace of mind I am far happier saying no...:)

I think you did the right thing. However...

When booking the client in, if you give a little pre- and post- advice, things like this will come to light :hug:

When someone books with me I take their email address while on the phone and tell them I will email them the before and after care advice.

Works a treat and they follow it too....

If they want a tan the same day, they can only follow it so much (incase they have already showered etc) but at least they have all the info they need. :)

Kim x

speaking as a client I would have been grateful for your honesty x

Thanks for your comments....

When she telephoned this morning, and she wanted the spray tan this evening, I asked her the usual questions had she exfoliated, waxed/ shaved yesterday? (she had) had she moisturised today?(no) I said that it would take at least 24 hours before the colour would come up (she said fine)I just never thought to ask her was she going out tonight!!!

Still think it was the right thing to do....could have got a call in the morning looking for dry cleaning payment!!:rolleyes:

Janet

Hi I agree with you, it would have been rubbing off on her clothes and gone streaky then you may have lost a customer or even worse her friends would have thought I won't book with her, so at least with you being honest with her you may gain her as a client instead. :)

I think you did the right thing :)

I sprayed a girl today at 1 with FAKE BAKE darker and tonight at 8.30 she was TOTALLY WHITE :cry: Now that's what I call weird....

From a clients point of view, I would def be returning to you as you showed honesty and consideration. You dont get a lot of that nowdays!
Well done you!

Hiya

Thank you all for your supportive responses... just to let you know that I texted her today (as a follow up and because she was so young she might be a bit embarrassed about it) saying that I hoped she had a great nite and apologising for not spray tanning her but that I felt it was for the best and asked her to think of me if she needed a spray tan again (24 hrs beforehand!). she responded saying she had a fab nite, she thanked me and said she will be booking me next week!!

Just shows - honesty is the best policy!!:lol:

Janet

Aw a happy ending then, good old karma :hug:

I think you should have throughly explained the spray tan process and then left the decision up to her

I have 2 customers in my salon that come in for a spray tan especially so that they can go out for a meal etc in the initial tan!

xx

I've a client who I spray at 9.30pm at night and she goes to work the following day, all day, still in the colour guide. Don't shout - I've begged and pleaded with her not to do this but she won't listen ha ha ha ha

I think you definately did the right thing, all that dancing etc would have ruined the tan. She definately appreciate you all the more now. I sprayed a girl the other day and she text me the following day asking if she could go for a swim, I nearly died and text back and told her that the chlorine in the water would ruin the tan so she didnt go for her swim thank god, but its just that she didnt know, she'd never had a tan done before so she didnt know so it just goes to show that you have to explain it all to them beforehand.

i would have just done her legs or used the Aviva Express tan that develops in an hour on her. Best of both worlds! xx

I think you did the right thing, everytime i have a tan and go out, it either rains or i get drinks spilt on me and end up blotchy n green :lol:think she will defenitly use you again as you was not just after her money but actually cared about her looking good!

Hi

I just refused to spray tan a client who made her appointment with me this morning for 6.00 p.m. this evening and when I arrived she told me she was going out on the town (dinner and clubbing) in two hours time!! She was going to wear the most devine vivid orange dress and stunning shoes...she was very young - would say about 19/20 yrs old...

Did I do the right thing?.... I am new at spray tanning but I really felt it would be 'madness' to go ahead..

Would appreciate your opinion please:eek:
Thanks
Janet

hey guys :)

i was just reading your comments and i was in the same situation as that girl that came in for a tan and wanted to go out that same night.
i once got sprayed with fakebake then went out 3hours later and didnt wash the tan off :eek:... i learned never to do that again. i am always wanting a tan at the last min.
my friend has her own salon and has recently bought a tan called Aviva.. its an express tan :confused:.. i went for a spray and my friend amy told me i could go out that same night.. wash it off within 1hr 2hrs or 3hrs.. the results were totaly amazing i had washed it of after 2HRS of getting my spray tan. i didnt believe it at first as i thought it took 9hours or more for a tan to develop??
i even had a white dress on that night and NO TAN marks were even on the dress. Amy purchases it from a company called skin and body business, they have an office in glasgow (london i think also)
they sell organic tan in retail im still on my first bottle.. it lasts for months. i love it.:):)

I hope this will be usefull to you guys as it has helped me.. i will get a contact number for skin and body business and let you guys know asap xxxx

Latest posts

Back