Removing treatments from list ..what do you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petit Basque

Reaction score
Hi all, a few months ago I started a thread asking which treatments you all secretly hated. I made no secret of the fact that I really hated doing manicures (although I enjoy pedicures oddly) and in particular loathed shaping and polishing nails.

Anyway, I recently picked up a new client who wanted a standard manicure which I duly performed. Her nails were incredibly strong and complete pain to file....also, she favoured a square shape which I've not had a lot of practice with.

I really didn't enjoy carrying out the manicure at all and felt anxious and ill at ease all the way throughout. She was happy enough with the results but I wasn't and I hate doing any treatment that I'm not 110% happy with.

I would dearly love to drop manicures altogether and remove the treatment from my list. Unfortunately, it appears on my newly printed flyers but I can edit my website and remove it.

It's early days as a self-employed beauty therapist but I've always hated manicures from the day I was trained to the day I was signed off on them.
I just get a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I have to do one. I hate dealing with finger nails although I don't mind doing the cuticle treatment and any exfoliation, masks, massage to the hand itself.

Do you think I should remove manicures altogether from my treatments list....would it be weird to remove this and not pedicures (which I am always more than happy to do) and would it put my image and professionalism into doubt with the public?? Could I offer an anti-ageing hand treatment that doesn't include nails??

What would you do in my shoes :sad:

All opinions, advice, suggestions etc....gratefully accepted.

Thanks people
PB
x

I removed waxing, eye lash tints and eye lash perms from my list because I didn't enjoy doing them and was busy enough with other things. I do have a number of somebody local that I pass on if someone wants those treatments though. I suppose it's a bit more difficult removing manicures but not pedicures but if you really don't like doing them and you are your own boss then i'd say go for it. Alternatively, could you remove manicures from price lists/website and then just do the odd one who still asks so as not to turn business away?

My personal opinion is that the 2 go hand in hand, it might look a bit odd to offer pedicures but not manicures. I HATE feet, really have a thing about them but I felt that I really couldn't offer one without the other, so both it is.
Having said that, it is your business so if you really don't want to then that is your decision to make.
Do you have many enquiries to do them? What exactly is it that you don't like about them? If you feel that strongly and it's something you can't get over, then yes, maybe best not to offer otherwise your clients might sense how uncomfortable you are xx

I dropped waxing from my list of treatments as I hated doing it with a passion. Every now and then I get a call if someone comes across my old website for it, but I just say that I no longer offer waxing.
I kind of agree that they go hand-in-hand but thats only because they sort of come as a pair, BUT if you hate doing them then DONT. Its your business and so there is no need for you to offer a treatment that makes you feel queasy before, during and after. I know someone who does manicures but not pedicures as she hates doing them, so you are no different.
x

Plenty of people only do manicures and will not do pedicures at all. Why not the other way around too. No point having treatments that you hate on your list if you can afford not to do them.

Hi all, a few months ago I started a thread asking which treatments you all secretly hated. I made no secret of the fact that I really hated doing manicures (although I enjoy pedicures oddly) and in particular loathed shaping and polishing nails.

Anyway, I recently picked up a new client who wanted a standard manicure which I duly performed. Her nails were incredibly strong and complete pain to file....also, she favoured a square shape which I've not had a lot of practice with.

I really didn't enjoy carrying out the manicure at all and felt anxious and ill at ease all the way throughout. She was happy enough with the results but I wasn't and I hate doing any treatment that I'm not 110% happy with.

I would dearly love to drop manicures altogether and remove the treatment from my list. Unfortunately, it appears on my newly printed flyers but I can edit my website and remove it.

It's early days as a self-employed beauty therapist but I've always hated manicures from the day I was trained to the day I was signed off on them.
I just get a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I have to do one. I hate dealing with finger nails although I don't mind doing the cuticle treatment and any exfoliation, masks, massage to the hand itself.

Do you think I should remove manicures altogether from my treatments list....would it be weird to remove this and not pedicures (which I am always more than happy to do) and would it put my image and professionalism into doubt with the public?? Could I offer an anti-ageing hand treatment that doesn't include nails??

What would you do in my shoes :sad:

All opinions, advice, suggestions etc....gratefully accepted.

Thanks people
PB
x

You sound exactly like me. Funnily enough manicures are the only treatment I don't particularly like doing. Initially it was the whole painting thing as about two weeks before my beauty course started I was a biter so had never ever been into painting my nails or even having any! I'll admit my painting used to be pretty horrendous but these days it is good I'd say but I like you am still not a fan. I think maybe it is the whole somebody sitting there in front of you being that close to inspecting what you do. Fortunately most of my regulars are for waxing, facials and massage and a few pedicures thrown in so not too much to worry about.

If it is making your life miserable then personally I would remove manicures. I work at a spa part time and I don't do manicures there only pedicures but tbh that is partly due to the fact that I don't want to deal with the awful polishes that nobody bothers to clean but I guess with pedicures you can work your way through it as the client isn't there in your face!

If it's something you hate doing (a bit like my husband and housework) it won't get done well. You're the boss. Make a joke of it when clients ask, you are human after all.

xx

I have a suggestion - rather than remove from your price list (as personally think this would look odd), why not just increase the price. Far less takers this way.

There are certain treatments that i hate doing, but ive grown to like them...well sort off! i get my bt or hds to do what i dont like doing hehe!

I also found that with certain treatments like manicure, dont need to be so regimented, what i mean to say is be a bit creative use products that you like, make your own steps for more ease for youself. I have a deluxe chocolate pedicure, now i hate feet and ive made the steps easier for me and my therapists-still the same treatment but products that distract me so to speak! i hope this made sense!

I want you to feel comfortable doing this treatment, rather than giving up, as this is still a business and the end goal is money, i know you're self empolyed but tackle something that you know you're either not good at or dont enjoy! You may find you can just bare it next time! good luck! xoxo

What is it you don't like about manicures?
If you are not confident then yes take them off your price list for now.
Grab all of your friends, family and anyone you can get your hands on and practice!!
I was the same with eyelash extensions. I hated doing them with a passion. It's now one of my fav treatments. I never let anything beat me! Practice makes perfect! :) xx

Hi all

Thanks for all of your responses so far...they make great and reassuring reading!!

I really have thought long and hard about this one and after the manicure I did the other day, I know in my heart of hearts that I am not cut out for filing and polishing finger nails....I just DETEST it, I really do and it's as simple as that.

I've never ever been a fan of nail polish, nail wraps, nail art etc...and would hate to offend anyone on this site with my personal feelings about finger nail related treatments so I'll stop right here :D.

I've come up with another idea and that is to offer a "Hand & Nail Rescue" treatment. I will carry out cuticle treatment & very quick file on any rough edges of the nail, aromatic soak, hand scrub, hand masque & thermal mitts, massage and moisturise of the hands and finish off by massaging cuticle oil into the nails....a sort of deluxe facial for dry/lined hands and nails which need some love and attention!! Thus avoiding any actual thorough filing/shaping and nail polish.

I decided that I don't want to take hand treatments off my list altogether and if anyone asks me to include a reshape/polish of their nails then I will be completely honest and say that it isn't my forte or something I enjoy doing. I felt this was the best compromise and I do have some very nice manicure products and equipment.

As a couple of posters have quite rightly pointed out, I'm self-employed, it's my own business and I shouldn't have to do things that I really don't enjoy or interest me. I reallycan't believe that my whole business will fail because I won't do one part of one treatment!

Be interested to know what anyone thinks about the "Hand & Nail Rescue" treatment.

Thanks again everyone.

PB
x

I think it's a good idea. I like to do mu own nails as no one ever files then quite right (fussy I know)

I would defiantly have a treatment like that done as part of a package to relax and revitalise my whole body...

Xx

Hi all

Thanks for all of your responses so far...they make great and reassuring reading!!

I really have thought long and hard about this one and after the manicure I did the other day, I know in my heart of hearts that I am not cut out for filing and polishing finger nails....I just DETEST it, I really do and it's as simple as that.

I've never ever been a fan of nail polish, nail wraps, nail art etc...and would hate to offend anyone on this site with my personal feelings about finger nail related treatments so I'll stop right here :D.

I've come up with another idea and that is to offer a "Hand & Nail Rescue" treatment. I will carry out cuticle treatment & very quick file on any rough edges of the nail, aromatic soak, hand scrub, hand masque & thermal mitts, massage and moisturise of the hands and finish off by massaging cuticle oil into the nails....a sort of deluxe facial for dry/lined hands and nails which need some love and attention!! Thus avoiding any actual thorough filing/shaping and nail polish.

I decided that I don't want to take hand treatments off my list altogether and if anyone asks me to include a reshape/polish of their nails then I will be completely honest and say that it isn't my forte or something I enjoy doing. I felt this was the best compromise and I do have some very nice manicure products and equipment.

As a couple of posters have quite rightly pointed out, I'm self-employed, it's my own business and I shouldn't have to do things that I really don't enjoy or interest me. I reallycan't believe that my whole business will fail because I won't do one part of one treatment!

Be interested to know what anyone thinks about the "Hand & Nail Rescue" treatment.

Thanks again everyone.

PB
x

Honestly, I like the idea as a nail tech. It sounds very soothing. As a client I would really disappointed not to have my nails polished.

Polish is kind of the "proof" one has had their nails done. I would be very clear that this service includes a very brief shaping and absolutely no polish.

What would you think of offering to buff the nails to a high shine? This way they still have their "proof" but still keep it enjoyable for you too?

Sent from my PC36100 using SalonGeek

It seems to me that the only reason you don't want to do them is because you lack confidence in filing and painting.
Maybe your course didn't cover this enough.
Why not do a course to help build your confidence in this area. I know CND do courses in just polishing.
You may find that once you are taught properly then you may even enjoy it.
I would give Sweet Squared a ring and see what courses are available.

I too have often felt like you in the past. Manicuring to me was time consuming with less return than other treatments I performed. Plus my room had to be rearranged to accomodate pedicures and manicures. I trained in Bio to boost my skill level but hated it even more! However I have felt differently when Shellac came on the scene and feel better about offering these services. I will not offer polish anymore only the soak off ones! I also plan to alter my equipment to make it easier to move my room around. However if you detest it then I would drop it. It always shows through somehow when we are less than happy or confident doing certain treatments. I see no harm in it.:hug:

Honestly, I like the idea as a nail tech. It sounds very soothing. As a client I would really disappointed not to have my nails polished.

Polish is kind of the "proof" one has had their nails done. I would be very clear that this service includes a very brief shaping and absolutely no polish.

What would you think of offering to buff the nails to a high shine? This way they still have their "proof" but still keep it enjoyable for you too?

Sent from my PC36100 using SalonGeek

I really like the idea of buffing the nails and may well include that.

I also agree with the other poster that manicures are incredibly time consuming and for me, a lot of the time is spent on actually shaping and polishing and there doesn't seem to be enough return on it. I've researched my area and prices very carefully and don't feel I can make enough money to cover my time.

For me personally, a further course in shaping and polishing nails would be a waste of time as basically fingernails have never interested me. I can't really explain it and I'm not interested in spending any time filing and polishing them! :D Obviously, there is a huge industry out there for fingernail treatments, nail wraps, nail art, shellac, gel nails etc....but I just don't want to be part of it.

I think I want to concentrate on improving the condition of the hands and nails and am more than happy to do that.

Thanks so much everyone for your input....I really appreciate it.

PB
x

So glad to read this post, i'm exactly the same! I prefer pedicures too but shaping & polishing nails bores me to tears! I trained in Minx and find that slightly better to do but i'm in two minds about Shellac training. I feel i should offer the best treatment for natural nails as clients will love it but do i want to fork out on training for something im not that interested in? And its not a lack of confidence or skill, i just find it tedious. My heart sinks every time i get asked to do a manicure!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

So glad to read this post, i'm exactly the same! I prefer pedicures too but shaping & polishing nails bores me to tears! I trained in Minx and find that slightly better to do but i'm in two minds about Shellac training. I feel i should offer the best treatment for natural nails as clients will love it but do i want to fork out on training for something im not that interested in? And its not a lack of confidence or skill, i just find it tedious. My heart sinks every time i get asked to do a manicure!

My sentiments exactly.... TEDIOUS is the perfect word.....!!

I just can't see the point in further training for a treatment that just doesn't interest me. I also trained in Minx but won't offer that either lol!!!

I am going to concentrate on improving the condition of hands and nails as I love all that!

PB
x

Sounds like a lovely treatment, and there are loads of gorgeous products you can use. hope it works out for you!

Sounds like a lovely treatment, and there are loads of gorgeous products you can use. hope it works out for you!

Thank you so much....:Love:

PB
x

Latest posts

Back