Rinsing off exfoliant products???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
Hi it's come to my attention recently that some new clients who have been elsewhere for manicures have been having a moan:eek: about the fact that manicurists are exfoliating their hands/arms during manicure then expecting the client to go to wash basin and rinse their own hands off.:eek:

Now clients have said that they feel this is not right,they want to be pampered and rightly so.(they want manicurist to rinse exfoliant off and not to have to do it themselves)

When mobile I use Creative and have a handbowl filled with water and I use a flannel to rinse the exfoliant off,however not all do it like this.

Just wondered how you rinse yours off and what your opinions are on this???

when i worked in the spa we exfoliated arms we had a huge bowl under the arm and ran warm water out of a clay pot thing over the arm and rinsed it or we would use steam towels

I do the same as you Babs.

I've had a few clients comment that they'd never even had exfoliation in a manicure before. I think this is why some clients have been suprised that my manicures cost slightly more than some other salons as they don't include exfoliation.

I use a bowl too and rinse for the client. I don't think I would be too chuffed having to get up and wash my hands. If I go for a treatment I expect to be pampered.

I use a bowl too and rinse for the client. I don't think I would be too chuffed having to get up and wash my hands. If I go for a treatment I expect to be pampered.
Yes quite rightly too.Joe,and yes Juliette you are right,lots of ranges do not include an exfoliation in their mani.:eek:

i don't actually include exfoliation in my manicure treatments. I do in my pedicure treatments though, my prices do reflect that x
just thought i'd add, if i did use an exfoilant, i wouldn't expect the client to wash it off, it does defeat the object of being pampered. x

I rinse it off for them using a flannel and warm water

When I use the Creative Spa Manicure I put on the exfoliating crystals then use the crystal activator then dip in paraffin wax and mit for 10 mins. I then use my slow cooker which as had damp flannels heating nicely and then when I take off the paraffin wax I use a hot towel for each hand and arm and this does the job beautifully. Then I apply the finishing moisturiser.

My clients love the hot towels.

This is how I was shown at Creative. No bowls of water in sight!

I wrap their hands in a hot damp towel and use that to remove the exfoliant.

At college we have been taught your way Babs. Bowl of water and mitts to gently wipe away the exfoliant. Couldn't imagine telling someone to toddle off to wash their own hands!!

I intend to use the Creative Spa range once I go mobile so I'll see how they 'do' theirs and follow suit. :)

IMO if the client is asked to wash the exfoliator off themselves, the therapist/tech is just being plain lazy. Sorry if that offends anybody who does that but i feel each and every client should be made to feel like royalty reguardless if you are doing the treatment in thier home, a salon or a top spa.

IMO if the client is asked to wash the exfoliator off themselves, the therapist/tech is just being plain lazy. Sorry if that offends anybody who does that but i feel each and every client should be made to feel like royalty reguardless if you are doing the treatment in thier home, a salon or a top spa.
I couldn't agree more and that's why they have left the salons that do this and come to me.:green:

in the salon we use hot mitts from the towel heater. when mobile i use mitts and a bowl of hot water. getting the client to get up and do it is a bit cheeky!:eek:

I prepare hot towels before the service so they are at a nice warm tempreture to remove product.

Alot of techs will have an esky - aka a chilly bin with towels preheated placed inside, staying warm/hot throughout the day.

I use 1 hand towel for each hand/arm, covers the arm well and removes most in one sweep/wipe. Use the other side of the towel to remove the rest.

We also include a paraffin wax treat after the Crystal Activator is applied if requested, using the towels to remove product before massage sequence.

The hot towels are used in all our Spa body treatments, as we dont have a wet room as yet.
This is great for group mobile service's as almost every one has a microwave or hot running water.
Keeping the towels clean by dunking in a anti bacterial solution, rinsed, reheated & reused if needed.
We do take ALOT of towels, but sometimes clients deciede at the last minute to have extra treatment's.

XX J XX

i do the same as u babs, either using a face cloth or a hand towel to rinse off the exfoliant.
the client should be pampered not made to get up to go to the sink xx

Yep Bowl for me too! x

I can just imagine the look on a client's face if I asked them to go into the reception area of the gym my room is in and rinse their hands! :eek:
Clients come to us to be pampered by a therapist. It's a wee bit cheeky to expect them to do part of the treatment for themselves! And then pay for the priviledge!!
Bowl of warm water and mitts for me. Although I may try the warm towels next time.

I remover it with hot towels too.

As I'm mobile I am often working in my clients kitchen. I use SolarManicure and then me and my client go to the sink where she rinses her hands and I dry them in my clean towel, I then rinse my hands too and we go and sit back down and carry on with the manicure.

Reading this thread makes me think I should I change this? My only issue with removing with a towel is that the salt crystals go everywhere - I think the client would rather go to the sink and rinse than have to sweep salt off the floor once I've gone...... I have thought about it!

All opinions welcome!

i always rinse off using a flannel and a bowl of warm water , but love the idea of heated towels , i just never remember , always do it the standard way , am going to try it with the towels next time , xxx

Latest posts

Back