Rosacea - Can't even have trust in Dermatologist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok, let me begin with saying that in recent months, I've been looking a little more deeply into the cosmetics I put onto my skin.
I'm FED UP of looking like a pepperoni pizza (pimples) and I still have a few years to go with this face... I'd rather keep it as nice as I can since it needs to last me LOL (vain, but ah well, tis the nature of the female beast LOL)

Having said that, one of the sites that I refer to regarding ingredient listings for products is this one:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php

Where you type in the name/brand of a product and whammo, you get ingredient listings and the concerns for that product.

So, yesterday, my visit to the NEW dermatologist (who was referred to me and said to be very good) said to me when I asked about Mineral makeup "it's all nonsense, it's no better. You should use Almay, easily found in the department store".:eek:

I looked up Almay on that site, and low and behold, the ingredient listings showed many irritants.
AND

On this site FDA Consumer: Cosmetic Safety: More Complex than at First Blush which features an FDA report, said:

"Hypoallergenic can mean almost anything to anybody," says Bailey.
"Hypo" means "less than," and hypoallergenic means only that the manufacturer feels that the product is less likely than others to cause an allergic reaction. Although some manufacturers do clinical testing, others may simply omit perfumes or other common problem-causing ingredients. But there are no regulatory standards on what constitutes hypoallergenic. Likewise, label claims that a product is "dermatologist-tested," "sensitivity tested," "allergy tested," or "nonirritating" carry no guarantee that it won't cause reactions.

And then:

Like hypoallergenic, "natural" can mean anything to anybody. "There are no standards for what natural means," says Bailey. "They could wave a tube [of plant extract] over the bottle and declare it natural. Who's to say what they're actually using?"

Anyone who has ever had poison ivy knows that "natural" and "hypoallergenic" are not necessarily interchangeable terms. For example, some manufacturers of cosmetics marketed as natural products use naturally occurring vitamins E and C as preservatives. But, according to Alexander Fischer, M.D., author of Contact Dermatitis, "Topical vitamin E is a potent sensitizer which can produce both delayed allergic contact dermatitis and immediate allergic hives." In addition, natural doesn't mean pure or clean or perfect either. According to the cosmetic trade journal Drug and Cosmetic Industry, "all plants [including those used in cosmetics] can be heavily contaminated with bacteria, and pesticides and chemical fertilizers are widely used to improve crop yields."

So now what?
Who do I trust? What do I use? I'm FED UP of having a red irritated face that reacts to everything and having pimples at the ripe old age of 37!!!
(and as we speak, I have a volcanoe on my chin, that's huge, red, VERY noticeable and VERY emabarassing!)

AND when he asked what I used to cleanse my face, I told him it was one of the following:
Dove soap (advised by dr's, and also saw a dove soap dish in his office)
Spectrogel (as advised by about 3 or 4 other doctors; dermatologists & GP & pediatrician for my daughter who has dry skin)
Cetaphil (also advised by dr's)

He suggested "Goats MIlk" soap WHICH I have found to be HIGHLY irritating, strongly perfumed and makes me BURN.:rolleyes: It is ALSO listed as having irritants.

BUT then so do spectrogel and cetaphil, according to the world wide web.

SO????
now what ?
Who to trust, what to use?

I had my hopes up that this doctor would have a logical solution that WORKS.
And guess what...
surprise surprise........... it seems he doesn't.

Makes you want to cry at the unfairness of it all.
If I had an allergy, they'd all agree "take an allergy pill".
And I wouldn't suffer.
Suffer something as simple as pimples and overly dry/sensitive skin... and they can't resolve it.

:grr:

I understand your frustration!! But for about two and a half years now I have been using P8N8 and it has improved my skin enormously, and I rarely get a volcano now. I don't have, and never will have beautiful skin, but the P8N8 has really helped keeps the spots under control.

But I have roseacea on my nose, mainly on one side, but around the nostrils I flare up with real red redness and tiny pustules and I cannot find anything that helps! Yesterday I bought some Forever Living Aloe Propolis Cream and I am pinning all my hopes on it. Have so far only used it last night and this morning but already there is a huge improvement! So I will keep you posted Victoria :hug:

OOPS

I'm in the wrong forum.
Can someone move me to Skin Geek please?

THANKS and

SORRY:o

Hi Victoria - sorry to hear of your distress. I am sure you will get loads of advice on here - but what I would suggest is reading The Skin Type Solution by Dr Leslie Baumann a very well qualified Dermatologist in Miami treating thousands of patients every year. I would even go as far as contacting her as well. She also states in her book that dermatologists do not even agree!! Do you belong to a support group in your area that can help? :hug:

As someone who also suffers from extremely dry and sensitive skin, I have every sympathy with your situation.

I personally have found that using very basic "sensitive" skincare products appear to agree with my skin .... so basically, unperfumed, uncoloured everything from soap to cleanse wipes to make-up to moisturiser.

If you've not already seen this Canadian based website, it may give you some ideas and if not, then some very useful information (hopefully).

Rosacea Treatment - The ZENMED® Skin Support System&

I'm throwing in lots of these for you too btw :hug::hug::hug: xx

HI

Have you tried dermalogica? Its extemely good for sensitive skins.

Hi Victoria - sorry to hear of your distress. I am sure you will get loads of advice on here - but what I would suggest is reading The Skin Type Solution by Dr Leslie Baumann a very well qualified Dermatologist in Miami treating thousands of patients every year. I would even go as far as contacting her as well. She also states in her book that dermatologists do not even agree!! Do you belong to a support group in your area that can help? :hug:

This is a brilliant book ... although I don't agree with all she says from my own experience, but it is a great place to start. I have a client with rosacea (but she comes for waxing!) and she asked about Nimue. I gave her some samples to take with her and suggested she speak to her dermatologist about them and he said they would be fine for her skin!

But I think that is the trouble with skin problems. What works for one doesn't for another and sometimes it really is just a case of trial and error until you find what works for you. It is very expensive but so satisfying when you do. I know as my daughter suffers from eczema and we try everything that comes on the market! Some work and some make it far worse.

good luck

Thanks everyone for your kind words and ideas, and advice.

I will look into them when I finish with my client tonight.

I guess what's most dissappointing is that I was so looking forward to this new and HIGHLY recommended dermatologist, and he had no solutions for me.
And then the mineral makeup I ordered... not delivering what I expected so far....
So I'm a bit down on the subject.

thanks again for EVERYTHING!! and catch up w/y'all laters

:hug::hug:

I love this book !!

To cleanse your face I would reccommend the Magic Mitt by Jane Iredale

Magic Mitt. Jane Iredale Mineral Cosmetics - The Skin Care Makeup.

You don't need to use any product with it and it even takes off waterproof masacra. Im sure you will have a stockist near you in Canada, its not that expensive and it lasts for years its also fab when you have had a night out drinking and can't be bothered to take your make up off !!

Have you tried rose d'orient oil by Decleor ? Fantastic for sensitive skins although I don't think ive ever had a client with severe rosacea try it but again you should be able to get a sample from any salons near you that stock it.

Im sure you will get there in the end with the mineral make up to !

To tell you the truth, I have exactly the same type of skin as well as a dust allergy to go with it. No matter what I have tried over the years i.e. E45 has been no good, it just burns!

I have used simple and cheap Nivea for the past three years and my skin has never looked so good, I'm 36!

I dont understand why everyone needs such posh stuff, doesnt mean its any better at the end of the day.

Many people have swapped to Nivea even celebs.

I am not a skin geek...or even claiming to be one....I am just going to tell you what worked for me (my friend really)....whether it works for all who knows!!!
My friend and I went into a chinese herbal place called dr and herbs...its a chain in in this country...you probably will have similar. I only had a very slight problem so just got a basic cream.....but my friend really suffers with redness and spots, and was fed up with the doc prescribing steroid creams that only helpped when it was applied.
Antway she spoke to a lady in there who looked at her face.....and then asked her if she had any problems with her periods as she could tell from where the spots/redness were on her face...my friend has polycystic overies and has suffered for years. She gave her these tablets and it was all done in a week....amazing!!!
I would never on earth had thought of going to a place like this...but would say if it is your last resort the try it.....it might work for you.
Hope it improves for you whatever you try.
Sending lots of hugs

Hi Just to add to my earlier post I feel taking a holistic approach may be better when nothing seems to work. Do you keep a skin diary? note when it is really bad, what you used, diet, stress, heating and humidity in the home and where you work. Is the water in your area hard or soft? There are also thoughts that skin can be a manifestation of your self esteem. I would even consider hypnotherapy as an option is stress has a part to play. I agree that the book I mentioned may not solve all ills but it may help you to focus on what types of products to look at and give you a basis on where to start. :hug:

why not use the complete Cetaphil system (cleanser, moisturiser, etc)?

We have a range in AUS called QV which is fabulous. You can get it in Canada too.

I'm amazed you use dove (a domestic soap with moisturiser), that stuff made me break out and it ends up like gloop.

why not use the complete Cetaphil system (cleanser, moisturiser, etc)?

We have a range in AUS called QV which is fabulous. You can get it in Canada too.

I'm amazed you use dove (a domestic soap with moisturiser), that stuff made me break out and it ends up like gloop.

aw hunni! What I will say is that whichever product range you choose, you MUST cleanse, exfoliate, tone and moisturise daily, with an appropriate masque applied as reccomended. My advice would be (if you can afford it, if not go to your local college salon) to have a thorough skin analysis by a dermalogica trained therapist. She will look at your skin through a mag lamp and really be able to identify your skins needs.

You really need to working on your skin before thinking about make-up, and maybe consider the possibilty of electrical facial treatments such as galvanic.

I really appreciate that cost may be a factor, but as I said, if you go to your local college salon, the costs will be much lower than if you visited a high street salon.
If you want any more info about galvanic treatments and how they work, just pm me.

best of luck chicken xxxx:hug:

aw hunni! What I will say is that whichever product range you choose, you MUST cleanse, exfoliate, tone and moisturise daily, with an appropriate masque applied as reccomended. My advice would be (if you can afford it, if not go to your local college salon) to have a thorough skin analysis by a dermalogica trained therapist. She will look at your skin through a mag lamp and really be able to identify your skins needs.

You really need to working on your skin before thinking about make-up, and maybe consider the possibilty of electrical facial treatments such as galvanic.

I really appreciate that cost may be a factor, but as I said, if you go to your local college salon, the costs will be much lower than if you visited a high street salon.
If you want any more info about galvanic treatments and how they work, just pm me.

best of luck chicken xxxx:hug:

Why quote me ?
This girl needs prefessional help, from a dermatologist (university educated).

I'm not gonna say much more about some products, lest I offend.

But often more "basic" products are suitable.

Why quote me ?
This girl needs prefessional help, from a dermatologist (university educated).

I'm not gonna say much more about some products, lest I offend.

But often more "basic" products are suitable.

sorry didnt mean to quote you - my pc just automatically does it sometimes!

I appreciate everyone's input.

My dermatologist suggested cetaphil as well. To date, I've been afraid of trying their moisturizer as everyone else's turned me into a pepperoni pizza (hence the volanoe on my chin from recent experiments:rolleyes:)

I also have samples from La Roche Posay & Avene which he seemed to think were good (as I've also heard from others)
La Roche-Posay
Avene

BUT
for every product there seems to be a group advocating it, and a group against it....

I know what you mean about dove, but it's never been a problem (how odd is that?) and it's the only soap I can use on my face (other than spectrogel & cetaphil) that doesn't burn like a bugger, Nor cause me to do some crazy chicken dance in the shower trying to rinse my privies cause they've caught on fire :lol:(all my skin is sensitive) from the perfume or whatever in other soaps (yes, I do have other parts to wash LOL)

For this week at least, I'm trying the cetaphil regimen with the Metrogel 1% (formerly used 0.5%) twice a day...
MetroGel® 1%

As for makeup... I think it's important that I make that change now too, since I wear it daily and so it definately has an impact.

I'm far too selfconcious NOT to wear makeup. The redness (which doesn't show well in the photos) truly is VERY bad. Particularly since it stands out so much against my fairness. Even the DR commented on how it stood out. :o
I will take everyone's support and advice on board, and try what I haven't tried yet. Can't hurt, right? (well, maybe the pimples will)

YES, cost is a MAJOR factor, my budget is strangling and as of this morning, I believe my car is dead and I'm supposed to marry this summer... and we have a roof to repair, so ..... anyway, rambling here....
Cost will be prohibitive for some experiments, unfortunately.
:cry:

thanks again everyone!

Well, I would swap from using a soap on your face and body (I know they dont affect you but....) and start using a kids showergel and wash like Oilatum or the like. This may help the dryness on your face especially. My 2 kids have dry and sensitive skin, so this is what I use, they dont have flare ups or dry, red itchy patches anymore!

As for the make up, I am not a skin geek, but I wouldnt have thought Mineral make up would be the route to go down?!? Keep searching V, Im sure you will find something soon, and remember to be cheeky with these companies, ask for sample sizes, explain your situation!

xxxx:hug:

I feel for you victoria and can understand your stress. Its difficult having a skin problem. As an acne sufferer my dermatologist told me my skin was oily, an immediately wrote a prescription for some battery acid type oil stripper. My skin is not oily, im very dehydrated. Luckily I told him, and didnt have to dry my skin out like a prune. Anyhow my skin worries were helped with roaccutane. I have scars .. but im working on those.

And as others have said just keep searching in hope that something will suit your skin. As for soap, id personally steer clear it can cause your lipid barrier to shrivel up... its too alkaline. xxx

A lot of esty's in America and Canada carry one thing in a spa and use Pro-active at home. It doesnt work for everyone but for those it does work for its amazing. We use Dr. Renaud from France and Montreal in my Spa and its really great too. Wonderful for sensitive skin, it has all natural ingrediants. Since our spa uses it , the Derms here send thier clients to see us for facials. Not many spas can afford to carry it but its worth it if they can. We have a lot of loyal customers who come for facials and to buy products because it is so sensitive but it is very specific to your skin type. There is a series of products for any skin type or mix of any kind.
If you cant get it there or try it out then give Pro-active a try. I know its for the public so us estys( skin geeks) are not supposed to endorse it but I had a peddie client today who had peaches and cream, flawless, smooth skin and she swore she had horrible adult onset acne until using it.
Hope that helps,
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back