Rude clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onyxxza

Reaction score
Hello! It happened to me as well yesterday. I've done her gel nails extensions 3 weeks ago ( I saw that those weren't perfect and I told her that if she have some problems with them to give me a call and I will redo them). She called me after 3 weeks that she wants her nails done but not with pink color, she wants french. I told her that I'm busy and I can't do it and I will give her the money back. I was very polite but she was very rude and she started to offend me and searching for my home address to come and take her money. She was very pushy and didn't stopped with text messages until I blocked her. Any opinions how to treat this kind of idiots?

Hmmm the things we have to put up with...

A few months back the mother in law of the salon owner I worked in booked gel colour with me. They looked fine and she left seeming very happy.
A couple of days later she was back complaining they didn't look right and wanted it removed. I gave her a soak off and while these were taking I did her a complimentary ebs and was very apologetic.

A day or two later I saw her Facebook status that stated she was now selling Avon gel varnish and there was a dreadful pic of her nails done each in a different colour. Someone had commented below that they looked like her young child had done them!

The next day there was a new pic of my own work on her nails thanking someone else for the work done with Avon gel polish jeez ..... I'm sure she just wanted a cheap lesson in how to apply and remove gels.

In the first thing I thought the problem is with me, but after I read those threads I realized that people are very mean. Do you thing I will ever don't take this personally? Hahaha

I have dealt with so many rude clients and simply won't be pushed around, I am really bluntly rude back and this still seems to go over their head!! Some people are just wrapped up in their own little bubble I think. For example if I get someone asking me loads of stupid questions or stupid requests I outright tell them to shut up or go somewhere else, I don't mince my words!! Perhaps a bit unprofessional I know but I seem to have this knack of them just them looking slightly shocked, shutting up and letting me get on with it. I honestly amaze myself I am so blunt with some people sometimes I am amazed they come back but these often turn into my most regular customers. Weird or what. I know I am very good at what I do and I think they know that too deep down so know I won't stand for nonsense. I told one girl once she wasn't welcome to book in again as she was always complaining and I knew there was nothing wrong with the service I said to her I'm sick of your complaining face and she called up the salon after a few months trying to book in under a different name!!! Seems can't get rid of some people, majority of my clients are lovely though!! I don't worry about reputation as I figure most family and friends of these serial whiners know what they are like anyway.

Welcome to the service industry.

First of all you said yourself that they weren't perfect. You might have wanted to rebook her there and then to redo them. Clients have every right to expect perfect nails; after all, if you bought a dress and it was faulty you would expect to be able to take it back and have it either exchanged or refunded.

I can absolutely guarantee that every single last one of her friends and associates will now know that you provided a less than perfect service and then were difficult about it when she came back to you. I think you missed an opportunity to show her your excellent customer care service by having her back and making her happy.

As for not worrying about reputation, well, people have long memories...

WOW!!! I'm shocked at the attitude on how some people deal with awkward clients!!

It's a clients right to say what they want, they are paying your bills, I'm not saying take crap from them, but if I was spoken to or treated like that I certainly wouldn't be back, and I would rant from the roof tops about my service.

If you know your work is shoddy, you make time to fit them in.
If they moan all the time, never book them in again.

The rudeness I read on this forum with dealing with fussy, awkward or annoying clients is unbelievable, just remember like attracts like, you only get treated how you treat others.

If I was some of your bosses you'd be getting a P45, no wonder some have trouble getting clients to pay!!

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I must stress I only ever treat client badly if they are moaning for nothing and are after freebies etc... Maybe it depends on areas I'm not sure but there are a lot of clients round here that no salons will do as they are so bad, which I have no time for and they get told not to return I refuse to lie and say I am fully booked not taking on new clients etc as this will always get you caught out I have found... If they are rude to me they get told you are a pain go away ... . They either do go away which I am glad about or their attitude improves 100% in which case I am happy to continue to serve them as a client.

I get we are In the service industry but I will not be spoken to like rubbish by a client and smile back at them sweetly I have more respect for myself and if this meant my business suffered so be it. I have found that this is actually the contrary and I do well. If they have a genuine problem there is a huge difference I will go out of my way and bend over backwards to resolve. It's all about honesty.

As for p45 that's why I'm my own boss lol I have to admit I probably would think twice about my blunt attitude if I was under someone else's rules. As I say this seems to work for me and my return rate for clients is rising every year this last years percentage was 96% new clients returned and also I have a lot of referrals, people like me because I tell them truthfully what I think yet know I will go out of my way to make them happy if they give me the same respect.

I know people will disagree but I'm not really bothered I am doing what makes me happy get lots of happy clients and tell the ones I don't want due to them causing trouble where to go rather than ranting about them behind their backs getting stressed over it which is what a lot of people seem to do.

I've always found the best way to deal with clients like this is to give them an educated reply
If after that they are still unhappy then there is only one thing to say -
" I'm so sorry that I can not meet your expectations and I wish you the best of luck with your new therapist "

And I say this sincerely and with no malice
Some people can not be pleased but hey / just send them on their way and move on to the next lovely client

The biggest mistake I've made over the years is judging people on my own standards - when I do this you get annoyed with people

Yes there is a social etiquette but it seems to be dwindling as the years go on :(

Why would you offer a client a refund 3 weeks later?

If she had them on for 3 weeks she is due for an infil.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If I did a service for a client and though it was less than perfect and they complained I would not consider that client to be fussy, gurny, complaining etc! We offer a service and clients are entitled to receive that service perfectly.
If you have a client who does repeatedly moan for no reason and finds faults there are ways of dealing with them in a firm but polite manner. If I went to a beauty therapist and was told to shut up I can guarantee you I would never darken their door again and I would make sure everyone I knew would know how rude they were.
When you work with the public you need to be able to deal with the public and that includes people who are fussy and very particular about things. We have to be able to deliver the service to the clients satisfaction. If a client is downright rude you can assertively tell them you will not tolerate being spoken to or treated like that without being rude back, as the saying goes - take the high road!! Good manners and excellent customer care cost nothing yet can be your most valued business tool. Fail to implement them in your salon and you might as well shut your doors. X

jesus... your clients are number one. Never should you ever be rude to them. If a client is unhappy don't get defensive it looks like you don't know what your talking about. Do what you can within reason and treat each client like they're your Mum/granny etc because if someone close to you was treated badly after payong for a service you'd be none too impressed. if you don't want to deal with rude or unhappy people get a new job because it's something you need to be able for.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using SalonGeek mobile app

At my tafe there was a regular who was always so difficult my teacher would out her with different people hoping that she maybe pleased one day...on this particular day she was just been obnoxious and tied her up and put on a cap the teacher went off didn't yell but said she was no longer welcome that she made all the students feel like crap and that she would never be happy no matter what... all the other clients cheered and we were all so happy, i hope to never come across a client like that my teacher was pretty gutted and said she has never ever done that in her carrer but was done she only paid $30 for a full cut and colour.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using SalonGeek mobile app

I just don't think telling a client to shut up is the way to go. I actually love a fussy/grumpy client because I think challenge accepted and do my best to cheer them up! Fussy people are brilliant because they know exactly what they want. When you get someone who answers I don't mind to every single question I just get a bit bored. I was raised to treat people as I would want to be treated myself and well I like being spoiled lol.
I don't understand why the OP was offering a refund after 3 weeks nor why the nails weren't done to the best standard they could manage in the first instance but what I do know is some of these replies have shocked me. Being rude won't help.

Strewth, I haven't been about here in a while, but this thread has really shocked me!
I cannot believe some of what I've read!
I really hope no one takes some of the advice offered.
Lynne Baker great advice, as always thank goodness you are here!

Last edited:
There is a saying that it doesn't matter if you make mistakes - everyone does - buy it's how you then deal with that mistake that will be remembered.

Telling a client to shut up? Please, that's just outright bad manners!

It doesn't matter if you "only behave badly when a client does it first", this is not a nursery class. It's business. And yes, we have the right to not be verbally abused at work, obviously. Buy choose your battles (if you must) and deal with them SENSIBLY and PROFESSIONALLY.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note 4 using SalonGeek mobile app

At my tafe there was a regular who was always so difficult my teacher would out her with different people hoping that she maybe pleased one day...on this particular day she was just been obnoxious and tied her up and put on a cap the teacher went off didn't yell but said she was no longer welcome that she made all the students feel like crap and that she would never be happy no matter what... all the other clients cheered and we were all so happy, i hope to never come across a client like that my teacher was pretty gutted and said she has never ever done that in her carrer but was done she only paid $30 for a full cut and colour.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using SalonGeek mobile app

If the misery was that fussy why go to a place full of students. Really irritates me this does

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

WOW!!! I'm shocked at the attitude on how some people deal with awkward clients!!

It's a clients right to say what they want, they are paying your bills, I'm not saying take crap from them, but if I was spoken to or treated like that I certainly wouldn't be back, and I would rant from the roof tops about my service.

If you know your work is shoddy, you make time to fit them in.
If they moan all the time, never book them in again.

The rudeness I read on this forum with dealing with fussy, awkward or annoying clients is unbelievable, just remember like attracts like, you only get treated how you treat others.

If I was some of your bosses you'd be getting a P45, no wonder some have trouble getting clients to pay!!

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app
I had a rude client the other day that refused to tell me what he wanted , just said "give me a men's haircut don't make me look like a little boy." I said I don't understand what that means haircut wise then he asked if I was stupid and didn't know anything. I responded sir if you have an issue, you can wait for another stylist to take you otherwise please don't be rude. I am not being rude , in my opinion I'm being direct that I will be refusing service if he is talking down to me and not proceeding with consultation.

I've always found the best way to deal with clients like this is to give them an educated reply
If after that they are still unhappy then there is only one thing to say -
" I'm so sorry that I can not meet your expectations and I wish you the best of luck with your new therapist "

And I say this sincerely and with no malice
Some people can not be pleased but hey / just send them on their way and move on to the next lovely client

The biggest mistake I've made over the years is judging people on my own standards - when I do this you get annoyed with people

Yes there is a social etiquette but it seems to be dwindling as the years go on :(
👏👏👏

Latest posts

Back