Running after awkward clients? Should I replace a whole set of nails for free?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divine Beauty Newcastle

Reaction score
This may be long winded...

A friend of my aunt picked up one of my business cards in the place my aunt works. Instead of calling me, the woman passed on a message to my aunt, which then went to my grandad, then my dad to me, saying she wanted a treatment but would only have it if she could have it done at my house. I sent a message back the other way saying that wasnt possible, I'm a mobile therapist, not a home salon, and even if I wanted to, my home environment is not suitable (dysfunctional family situation). Several weeks later I got another message passed on to me with her name and phone number, saying she wanted gel nails and nail art and fine, it could be done at her house. At first I thought, she wants a treatment and I'm the one who has to call her to arrange it??? But at the end of the day she was a new client so I called. Several times. Each time the mobile wasnt even switched on it kept going straight throught to the voicemail service. I eventually left a message with my number asking her to call me back if she was still interested.

Several days went by and I didnt hear anything until a message was passed on to me yet again through my family saying the woman had actually went into my aunts work to say that I hadnt got in touch with her! So I phoned again - phone switched off again. I left another message and called back again the next morning. Same thing. So I got in touch with my aunt saying actually, yes I had tried to get in touch many times - costing me quite a bit off credit on my phone - and the phone was never even on. According to my aunt this woman is notorious for never having her phone charged up, never having credit, and never listening to her voicemail messages, however she was expecting me to turn up at her house at 7pm the following week. Quite annoyed at this point I say I need to speak to her, all she has to do is pick up a phone and ring a number and it could all be sorted in minutes, I obviously need her address, and I wanted to know exactly what it is she wants. The woman still doesnt get in touch, but I get her address passed on to me.

I turned up at the address on Tuesday night half expecting nobody to be home, but she was. She confirmed she wanted gel extensions but seemed disappointed that I dont do gel nail art, and she seemed baffled at the idea of anybody using nail polishes and paints to do nail art. She looked at me like I was an idiot. The girl in the salon she used to go to ALWAYS did gel nail art... I began to feel a bit flustered but kept myself calm by telling myself that if she had bothered to contact me or at least turned on her mobile she would have had all the information she needed before I arrived it isnt my fault I cant provide what she expected. During the treatment she mentioned she would be doing carrying and handling at work the next day and how she had joked with a friend about how it would be a shame if the nails came off. I admit I felt a bit irked that she was having the nails done the night before lugging things about at work - they were quite long tips too. I finished the nails, she tipped me cos she said they were so lovely.

Next day I get a message passed on to me saying she was really pleased with the nails.

Day after another message (still via aunt to grandad to dad to me :s) to say four of the nails have 'dropped' off. My dad was obviously getting as fed up with all these back and forward messages as I was and got in touch with my aunt to basically say ENOUGH of this, tell this woman to get in touch with Louise (thats me) directly or this will go on forever. Another message passed on to me saying yes, this lady will be ringing the next day..... and that she had now removed ALL of the remaining nails herself. I don't know whether she pulled them off or had them properly removed or what.

I still have not heard a thing from her. Obviously I dont want to be getting on bad terms with clients especially since its very early days, and also shes a friend of my aunt. On the other hand these nails have come off on wednesday or thursday and she still hasnt contacted me about it... I'm on the verge of trying to call her but keep thinking I've already wasted a lot of credit trying to call her and she isnt goin to listen to any messages I leave even on the offchance her phone is switched on.... should I be calling her?

Should I be expected to now do a full free set since she took all the remaining nails off? What sort of time limit should I have for clients to get in touch about having nails replaced? If she rang say sometime next week asking for replacement nails or for money back, should I do what she wants or put my foot down? I've put the money aside just incase.

The whole thing has been dragged out over weeks and made so awkward - am I being irritated too easily?

Last edited:
Shes got a nerve making you do all the running about in the first place and it IS NOT ur fault that you couldnt give her exactly what she wanted as she didnt contact you beforehand to let you know. She shouldnt have been heaving around boxes or whatever after getting long extentions done so its tough if they came off. Also she should have let you know in person straight away if some came off. Dont personally think that you owe her anything and you dont really want folks getting the idea that your a pushover.If a client returns to me after a couple of days with a mistake that was down to me then fair enough but not if they been gardening w/o gloves,diy-ing etc cos then accidents are bound to happen and I dont want people getting the idea that they can come back willy nilly getting repairs and what not for free just because they didnt take proper care of their nails.

No no no! This whole situation should have rung alarm bells from the beginning. Your aunt mustn't pass on any more messages and make it clear to this person that this is the situation. If she hasn't got money for her phone, she hasn't got money for nails and if she really wants you she'll phone if everyone stops singing to her tune!

No messages, no refunds, no free nails. Your family re not your receptionists. If she had a problem you are the person to deal with, now it's too late

This may be long winded...

A friend of my aunt picked up one of my business cards in the place my aunt works. Instead of calling me, the woman passed on a message to my aunt, which then went to my grandad, then my dad to me, saying she wanted a treatment but would only have it if she could have it done at my house. I sent a message back the other way saying that wasnt possible, I'm a mobile therapist, not a home salon, and even if I wanted to, my home environment is not suitable (dysfunctional family situation). Several weeks later I got another message passed on to me with her name and phone number, saying she wanted gel nails and nail art and fine, it could be done at her house. At first I thought, she wants a treatment and I'm the one who has to call her to arrange it??? But at the end of the day she was a new client so I called. Several times. Each time the mobile wasnt even switched on it kept going straight throught to the voicemail service. I eventually left a message with my number asking her to call me back if she was still interested.

Several days went by and I didnt hear anything until a message was passed on to me yet again through my family saying the woman had actually went into my aunts work to say that I hadnt got in touch with her! So I phoned again - phone switched off again. I left another message and called back again the next morning. Same thing. So I got in touch with my aunt saying actually, yes I had tried to get in touch many times - costing me quite a bit off credit on my phone - and the phone was never even on. According to my aunt this woman is notorious for never having her phone charged up, never having credit, and never listening to her voicemail messages, however she was expecting me to turn up at her house at 7pm the following week. Quite annoyed at this point I say I need to speak to her, all she has to do is pick up a phone and ring a number and it could all be sorted in minutes, I obviously need her address, and I wanted to know exactly what it is she wants. The woman still doesnt get in touch, but I get her address passed on to me.

I turned up at the address on Tuesday night half expecting nobody to be home, but she was. She confirmed she wanted gel extensions but seemed disappointed that I dont do gel nail art, and she seemed baffled at the idea of anybody using nail polishes and paints to do nail art. She looked at me like I was an idiot. The girl in the salon she used to go to ALWAYS did gel nail art... I began to feel a bit flustered but kept myself calm by telling myself that if she had bothered to contact me or at least turned on her mobile she would have had all the information she needed before I arrived it isnt my fault I cant provide what she expected. During the treatment she mentioned she would be doing carrying and handling at work the next day and how she had joked with a friend about how it would be a shame if the nails came off. I admit I felt a bit irked that she was having the nails done the night before lugging things about at work - they were quite long tips too. I finished the nails, she tipped me cos she said they were so lovely.

Next day I get a message passed on to me saying she was really pleased with the nails.

Day after another message (still via aunt to grandad to dad to me :s) to say four of the nails have 'dropped' off. My dad was obviously getting as fed up with all these back and forward messages as I was and got in touch with my aunt to basically say ENOUGH of this, tell this woman to get in touch with Louise (thats me) directly or this will go on forever. Another message passed on to me saying yes, this lady will be ringing the next day..... and that she had now removed ALL of the remaining nails herself. I don't know whether she pulled them off or had them properly removed or what.

I still have not heard a thing from her. Obviously I dont want to be getting on bad terms with clients especially since its very early days, and also shes a friend of my aunt. On the other hand these nails have come off on wednesday or thursday and she still hasnt contacted me about it... I'm on the verge of trying to call her but keep thinking I've already wasted a lot of credit trying to call her and she isnt goin to listen to any messages I leave even on the offchance her phone is switched on.... should I be calling her?

Should I be expected to now do a full free set since she took all the remaining nails off? What sort of time limit should I have for clients to get in touch about having nails replaced? If she rang say sometime next week asking for replacement nails or for money back, should I do what she wants or put my foot down? I've put the money aside just incase.

The whole thing has been dragged out over weeks and made so awkward - am I being irritated too easily?

Ok, well first of all, all this nonsense of passing messages has gotto stop and the only way it will stop is by YOU NOT playing her game! If she is that desperate to talk to you SHE WILL contact you. Just out of interest, how old is she?

You have done everything you can, so don't feel bad about what has happened and your relationship with that client is completely separate from your auntie's friendship with that woman.

Why would you even consider giving her a refund. She admitted she was going to be lifting boxes etc and she has taken them off herself. Absolutely do NOT give her a refund. This woman is more trouble than she's worth! If you give-in this time, she will just keep taking advantage of your good nature.

Totally agree with all of the above xxxx

Yep, I agree. Do not give her a refund and stop responding to her passed on messages, although it sounds like your dad won't pass on any messages anyway.

No refund!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a practically identical situation when I first started (minus the appointment making nonsense).

I was so flustered when they woman returned unexpectedly demanding a refund (she was a biter and I had a lengthy conversation at the appointment with her) Anyway she returned aggressively minus her nails and I said "well since I cannot tell who's fault it was (as the nails were removed the previous week and).

I refunded 50%!!!

I have spent the last 3 years kicking myself!!! I couldn't go to M & S and say my cardigan fell apart and I binned it so give me a refund;)

A very valuable lesson learned no one else will ever get away with something like that so in retrospect 50% was a small price to pay for never letting anyone do anything like that to me again!!!!!!!

she is also barred I will never accept a booking from her again!

hey, like everyone else said this lady should of contacted you herself if she was really interested in the nails and wanted to ask you if you do nail art, then she should of phoned. Its her fault not yours. Dont let her worry you.
She should of known herself not to get her nails done if she was doing manual work the next day. I think she is just a chancer.
Just tell your aunty to tell her to contact you direct as she is not wanting to get in the middle. And she prob wont even phone you, she will just move on to another therapist to annoy them hun x

NO! Firstly she is not a client and she never will be. She is a complete waste of your valuable time. She should have contacted you directly from the beginning and certainly should have let you see the nails before she 'removed' the rest of them, cheeky cow!

Let this be a lesson to you, anyone who is difficult to get hold of or gives you the run around is going to be a load of trouble for the rest of your relationship. Tell her you are sorry she wasn't happy with your work but you cannot do anything now she has no nails left, end of story.

As for your Aunt, whatever have you done to her for her to wish a client like this on you?:D

Oh dear! This is a nightmare! I would not even bother responding to her messages in the first place. You have gone extra mile for the client who caused a lot of hassle even before you seen her.Absolutely no refund! after all the effort you have put in. I would not worry about it too much. Nails dont fall off themselves!

If you give refung or do nails for free she is going to do this again and again.

I completely agree with all the geeks below.

Hugs xxx

Lesson Learned!!! Never, ever make appointments in this way. If someone wants an appointment they should ring you direct. If they don't - no appointment. The whole situation sounds ridiculous and I do feel for you as you done your very best to provide a service to this woman. In my opinion I would stop worrying about her right now. I would not give her her money back. I would not do a full set for free. I would however offer her a goodwill gesture of 30% off next treatment and only if she contacted you and I would also make sure that all of your family got the message that no messages are to be carried to you and that all potential clients had to contact you directly. I hope you feel a bit better and are not taking this too much too heart. There are some really weird people out there and this one obviously thought she was a princess lol ;)

Thanks for all your replies. I really was not going to bother at all with this woman, as if I was working in a salon I would hardly be getting told a certain person may want a treatment and then run off and ring them saying "Well, I heard from someone you may want a treatment, shall I book you in?" and I thought if she isnt bothered about sorting it out then she can't be too fussed about it all in the first place. Actually, my dad pushed me to pursue her and said I'm not in any position to be turning any work down at this point, which is true, but I wouldnt hardly have been turning work down as she hadn't actually made an appointment. I think he realises now though. And as for my aunt, I don't see her much personally, but really was surprised - she must think I have nothing better to do than deal with all this back and forwards nonsense.

Ok, well first of all, all this nonsense of passing messages has gotto stop and the only way it will stop is by YOU NOT playing her game! If she is that desperate to talk to you SHE WILL contact you. Just out of interest, how old is she?

She's in her 50's, so I'm sure she has the grasp of telephoning people for herself by now lol.

So now I'm just waiting for a phone call which may or may not ever come. So suppose I'll find out how bothered (or not) she is about it all. But I'll definately try to just push it out of my mind.

Magick!

Do not give this woman anything - no freebies, no discount no nothing.

I agree with all said above about how much of a pain she's been etc.

Just one thing here.............

If you went to a shoe shop and bought a pair of shoes & took them home. Wore them for a week & they broke, would you go back to the shop without the shoes and ask for your money back & tell them the shoes were broken?

No of course not, so why should you give this woman anything back?? She could of done any number of things to her nails to assist in them coming off.

I for one would ignore any messages coming from anywhere. I would only expect the woman to make contact directly to you. But she's entitled to nothing free from you - make sure you stick to it!! I'd expect her to come see me with her nails on and tell me what her problem was etc

Latest posts

Back