Sally's....changing for all or just some??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
Popped into my local Sallys today, don't go in often but get bits and bobs, today for some sunbed cream..usually buy it at shows but haven't been lately..and no don't warn me about the dangers of sunbeds I don't go on that often:lol:
Anyways....me being a bit nosey as I am :) I heard the girl behind the counter telling someone that without a trade card they couldn't buy colours and perming solutions...well..me being me chirped up..so does this apply to nails too??
The girl wasn't sure but said they are making a lot of changes so maybe they won't be selling any old stuff to anyone who asks??
I made my point about acrylics etc. and the girl TOTALLY agreed with me...I was nice..honestly!!
Has anyone else heard of this?
TBH I think it would be a great step forward if that's the case and have a lot more respect for them.
If it's good enough for hairdressers, it's good enough for nail techs and beauticians....do you agree??

I think if they do decide to go ahead with it, it would be a step in the right direction!

I think if they do decide to go ahead with it, it would be a step in the right direction!
I went to Sallys in Manchester and they said the same thing, that unless you had a trade card you cant purchase anything from there. I think its a good idea:)

My local 'big' towns have two sallys each.

In both towns, one of them is turning to trade only and the other is staying open to the general public, but they won't be able to buy any old products.

I think it's a great thing because not only is it possibly taking business away from the professionals... I can't help but think of the damage that people could be doing to themselves :eek:

I think its a great idea if they go down this road.They should only sale to qualified people anyway.selling to the public is what gives us nail tecs a bad name. when they sell pro products to people that dont know what there donig with them .:eek: its shocking.x

i agree we would only sell professional products like acrylics ect to professionals but we retail everything else you have to monitor who you sell it to otherwise everyone would be getting themselves into all sorts of muddles with products they are not trained to use

I was told the same by my mum about 2 months ago, i sent her to sallys to get a few bits and bobs for me as i was working so couldn't get the chance to go myself, and they told her the same thing that they were soon changing and anyone without a card can't buy anything!

Ever since i've always made sure i got my card with me but i thought my mum had gotten the wrong end of the stick until now.

I like the idea of them doing this, as i've had lots of people that i work with ask about me doing nails etc and then they think they can do it so have been to sallys and bought the stuff OR bought the Rio kits from Argos :smack:

I've got to admit..Kudos to them if they do it. They will get more custom from us for certain.
Even though it may not be ALL our products...we won't feel as though we're getting the same deal for X amount slightly less than any man and his dog.

If I can ask a question, what is Sally's definition of qualified? I have seen their flyer re getting a trade card, and they say NVQ2 or City n Guilds?
From what I've seen on this site, NVQ and C&G may not be the right route for everybody... I mean if you do a 1wk training course at CND spread out over 6wks, you are can't be as proficient at nails as somebody who has worked for say 6mths.
I think its a great idea of Sally's though, gives a lot of dignity to the industry, and is a good way of making sure that standards are kept in the forefront!

i went to sallys in warrington and they are the same trade only now!!!! i politely said about bloody time too and she agreed. Didnt realise that fake bake had a wholesalers and training academy right next door to it either

i use our local sallys and they are now going trade only throughout which about time is all i can say.

I refuse to shop in there. I would rather give my business to capital that wont let any tom **** or harry shop with them.
If they do change it then brill, it's about time!
I will still always be loyal to capital though, but great that our clients cant buy the products!! xxx

Good if this takes off. A number of companies here won't supply to the general public or to a company/person without an ABN and a trading name, but I know of very few who check for qualifications. And I also know of places you can walk in off the street and get what ever you feel like.

Yep - my Sally has changed to TRADE ONLY. The lady serving me told me they were going to do it a few weeks ago when I was buying a few bits and then last week I received a mailer from them confirming that they are now TRADE ONLY - YIPPEEEEE !!

When I applied for a Sally's Trade Card last year they asked for a copy of my insurance certificate. Don't know if that's the same everywhere but I thought that should be ok as I assume there aren't any insurance companies who will insure you without proper qualifications (correct me if I'm wrong).

yes femmefan, you're correct, but that was only to get trade pricing...... if Joe Bloggs popped in and wanted to buy some tips or gel or whatever, they were free to do so but at an increased price. Now if you want ANYTHING, you will have to produce your trade card or prove you are trade in the same way as you describe.
This can only be a good move on Sallys' part as those clients who think they can do it themselves, or indeed practice as professionals when they are not, won't have anywhere to buy product from (except ebay of course!!!!!!!) LOL

Hello Everybody
Can I ask a question?
If you are a non college student and would like to purchase some supplies could you buy some from Sallys...
For instance, you trained with Creative Nails on L+P and definitely you are not yet proficient but would like to practice would you be able to go to Sally's or Capital with your student BABTAC insurance and get products?
Thanks

i think its fab , it should be trade only :green:

Hello Everybody
Can I ask a question?
If you are a non college student and would like to purchase some supplies could you buy some from Sallys...
For instance, you trained with Creative Nails on L+P and definitely you are not yet proficient but would like to practice would you be able to go to Sally's or Capital with your student BABTAC insurance and get products?
Thanks

I work for sallys... that should be fine!! just pop in and get an application form and send that off with a photocopy of your certificate/insurance...

In answer to everyones trade questions..only SOME stores are going trade only... most retail stores (e.g. ones in city centres, malls etc) are staying trade/retail... whereas the majoirty of stores on trade parks/industrial estates are going trade ONLY... so you may see some exciting changes to come ;)!

I think this is brill.
Pity ALL aren't going trade only ...but small steps eh?
I have to admit to having MUCH more respect to them for this.

Latest posts

Back