Salon dilemma--need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slhallford

Reaction score
I had a really crummy thing dumped on me yesterday. I just started at a salon that I really like three weeks ago. Things have been going along nicely and I had no trouble making my rent even though I'm basically starting from scratch. I wrote a business plan and did my market research on the area demographics and feel like I had a good grasp on where I could fit into the community. I got my cards done and my merchant services going. One thing that was very important to me was that I was to be the only nail tech in the salon. The owner assured me that she would never bring in another nail tech as I asked her specifically regarding this.

Fast forward to yesterday when the owner comes in and informs me that things are changing. She's accepting a new partner and that partner is bringing another nail tech. My choices are to share the space on a part time basis or keep my space and continue to try and work with a situation that is exactly what I was NOT looking for. I'm very conscious of my personal space so sharing is not an option for me. I feel very uncomfortable of even keeping my stuff in the salon if there is another tech around. It was obvious that she wants me to share and so I've got this leery feeling that this will end up forcing me out. The broken trust issue makes me feel sad and jaded and angry and I haven't figured out if those are temporary feelings blowing something out of proportion or a gut feeling that this isn't a person I can trust. I've got that "thrown under the bus" feeling.

I would really appreciate any advice or wisdom if anyone has any to share on this topic.

S

Did you sign a contract or is this a verbal arrangement

It was a verbal agreement. The contract is simply for a month to month booth rental.

S

How horrible !!

If you feel that strongly about sharing space (I understand where you are coming from) the only thing to do is to cut your losses and look elsewhere.

Good luck:hug::hug:

How horrible !!

If you feel that strongly about sharing space (I understand where you are coming from) the only thing to do is to cut your losses and look elsewhere.

Good luck:hug::hug:

I agree! I cannot stand the thought of someone using my stuff. If they ask, that's different, of course but c'mon...

Best of luck to you!

If I were you I wouldn't bother saying too much because regardless what you say the new partner will no doubt still bring the new nail tech.

I would grin and bear it for as long as I could but in the meantime search very hard for a better place to rent space. The next time you rent, make sure you get a contract signed unless it is in your interest not to sign one.

You never know, you may get on great with the new tech. Always expect the unexpected.

Good luck!

If I were you I wouldn't bother saying too much because regardless what you say the new partner will no doubt still bring the new nail tech.

That's an excellent point. It's also the reason that I never discuss anything while I've got the high emotion/low intelligence thing going on. I asked for the weekend to mull it over.

I hadn't considered meeting the other tech first. I think I will ask to meet with the new partner and her tech.

S

It could work to your benefit - the new tech could pass on clients to you that she can't see.

I'd just see how it goes first and if you still don't like it then look for somewhere else. You don't want to cut your nose off to spite your face before you've had a chance to see how things will go.

Do you have a lockable cabinet to put your stuff it? Otherwise just take it home with you at night.

I would grin and bear it for as long as I could but in the meantime search very hard for a better place to rent space. The next time you rent, make sure you get a contract signed unless it is in your interest not to sign one.

You never know, you may get on great with the new tech. Always expect the unexpected.

Good luck!

Totally agree ...you might find that you and the new tech are going to rub off on each other....if you have problems with anything she might actually help you....you could learn more.....good luck.

I agree, I think it would be good to meet the partner and the other tech before making a decision.

Not a nice situation for you though, :hug: I do sympathise. x

Good luck for the meeting and I hope it all goes well.

Hi

I agree with the others, why not meet this other tech and give it a chance. One of the things I love most about having a salon is working with other talented people.

Its great to bounce ideas off each other and learn from each other. You get a nice little rapport going to.

Plus there is also the added bonus of when she takes her annual leave you are there to cover her clients and vice versa.

Latest posts

Back