Salon Geek not what it used to be

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombalurina

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, but I can't believe how much SG has changed over recent years. Perhaps I'm viewing things through rose tinted glasses, but I seem to remember place where everyone's opinions were valid, and all geeks seemed to stand together with the view of helping one another out when things got a bit tough.

It seems to me to have recently descended into more and more slanging matches between keyboard warriors than helpful conversations. I come on here and read FAR more posts than I contribute to, simply because I feel if I post my opinion there will be someone who wants to pick it apart. So I read, and click away most of the time. It's fine if someone disagrees, we won't all have the same opinion, but to be aggressive and make people feel small is not acceptable to me. I've had to defend my own opinion on many occasions, when all I am trying to do is encourage high standards in the industry. I can't understand why that's a bad thing?

Where is the friendly helpful advice and welcoming atmosphere? SG is just not a nice place to be anymore. I feel it might be time to delete my profile and leave the aggressive keyboard warriors to it.

Does anyone feel the same way? That they've been shouted down time and time again? Or is it just me?

I think since we lost the blogs, it changed. People tended to make friends in the blog area, and keep the boards for industry stuff. Most of the time I skip through the chat threads, and wonder if I'm on netmums by mistake.
When I answer hair threads, I'm often shouted down, so I tend to be selective, and as I'll only be in the industry a few more weeks, I won't have much to contribute.
So I feel your pain, and no, you're not imagining things.

Thank you Persianista, it's nice to know it's not just me. But also I'm sorry to read you're shouted down too. I think there are a *few* people who either don't realise how aggressive they come across, or know full well and don't care who they upset.

Good luck with your writing, how exciting to be starting a new phase, it will be a shame to see you go from the forum though! I on the other hand plan to be in the beauty industry for many more years...so it would be nice to think my opinion mattered to some..! 😊

I think when I was derided as a dinosaur, I began to question whether or not I had much to contribute.
I suppose a forum has a shelf life for people. After a while, the same questions are asked repeatedly, and it gets boring. Friends leave, (or in my case, got banned), and it's harder to connect in the same way with newer people who join up.
The mods just tell you to start new threads, to inject more life into the boards, but there's so few hairdressers on here, that the hair threads are pretty much populated by college students.
For me, I feel that SG let the hairdressers down. We are not the same as an extensionist who has trained for a few days at most, we are a completely different skill set, yet this board has always refused to recognise that, and gave us all the same title of 'hair pro'.
The advice is so poor at times, that I end up reporting a lot.

It has definately changed.I still use it for knowledge and searching and I still like to post now and again with hopefully some good advice,as I do feel a sense of loyalty to the forum as its helped me so much and I would hate it to ever close. But goodness have we lost some knowledgeable people
I have seen a few things that have got my back up but I can't even be bothered to defend or put my view forward anymore.Certainly mine,like many other geeks passion,for the site has unfortunately gone.

The sad thing is, those who have been in the industry for years and have obvious passion for it (and studied so hard to get where they are), are the ones who have lost faith in the forum. And these are the very people whose opinion and experience actually matters!!

The sad thing is, those who have been in the industry for years and have obvious passion for it (and studied so hard to get where they are), are the ones who have lost faith in the forum. And these are the very people whose opinion and experience actually matters!!

Yes and they keep it interesting and professional.

I have read some replies and am shocked at the tone. Some people are just so far up there own arse and think they are the best.

I agree with you as well I am afraid 😔 when I have answered things I am made to feel like a total idiot which is very damaging to people. Some forget they were once beginners and fail to treat other beginners in a correct manner.
I have started threads before as well and had rude comments that are meant to be taken as jokes and I am ashamed to say I bite back instead of letting it go.
I think the problem is that people think they are invincible when they are behind a computer screen, some of the comments and responses I see here, it can't imagine someone having the front to say it to someone's face.
I find the nail team by Gemma Lambert on Facebook so much better and friendly and get great advice. I browse SG but rarely comment or get involved 😔 xx

💕💅 Keep calm and make 'em Gelish 💅💕

I understand what you're saying but it's a natural progression. Posting a thread about it isn't going to make much difference & I (as a relatively new member) am left wondering what I'm doing wrong! It's sad no doubt but if you (used figuratively) don't like it then leave

I agree with you as well I am afraid 😔 when I have answered things I am made to feel like a total idiot which is very damaging to people. Some forget they were once beginners and fail to treat other beginners in a correct manner.
I have started threads before as well and had rude comments that are meant to be taken as jokes and I am ashamed to say I bite back instead of letting it go.
I think the problem is that people think they are invincible when they are behind a computer screen, some of the comments and responses I see here, it can't imagine someone having the front to say it to someone's face.
I find the nail team by Gemma Lambert on Facebook so much better and friendly and get great advice. I browse SG but rarely comment or get involved 😔 xx

From the other perspective, this is why the industry dinosaurs are loathe to post. We get called 'rude' if we try and correct anyone.
Now I'm sure you're not talking about me, but this post, and the one above seem designed to make everyone doubt themselves.

You find the nail team better?! Lol first person I've heard saying that!

You find the nail team better?! Lol first person I've heard saying that!

Yes I do, I have never had any nasty comments, any rudeness; just the help
I am looking for.
Completely different story with SG I am afraid x

Well that's good, as I say I've heard more negative reports but I'm glad you have support you need.

I wish there were a few more experienced hairdressers on here. The advice sometimes makes me shudder, I do try to help but it sometimes isn't taken on

From the other perspective, this is why the industry dinosaurs are loathe to post. We get called 'rude' if we try and correct anyone.
Now I'm sure you're not talking about me, but this post, and the one above seem designed to make everyone doubt themselves.

No the post isn't designed to make people doubt themselves. Someone with greater knowledge than me for example, I welcome them explaining better ways to do things, tips and tricks or correcting a procedure I do but there is an articulate way to do it. What I hate is when people answer rudely almost in the attitude of "what a moron you are not knowing this" there is no need for that at any stage and this makes people feel they can't ask for help 😔
We all started at the bottom, all made mistake, all learn something new everyday and someone people need to remember this, if they don't feel they can answer nicely, then they shouldn't. A off the cuff dig can hurt other people more than we realise because there is no tone in written word as someone commented the other day on another post. X

Well that's good, as I say I've heard more negative reports but I'm glad you have support you need.

I wish there were a few more experienced hairdressers on here. The advice sometimes makes me shudder, I do try to help but it sometimes isn't taken on

At least you have tried to be constructive and help, what more can you do? x

I understand what you're saying but it's a natural progression. Posting a thread about it isn't going to make much difference & I (as a relatively new member) am left wondering what I'm doing wrong! It's sad no doubt but if you (used figuratively) don't like it then leave

It seems sad to me that natural progression means things going downhill and alienating people. I have to say for me progression means the opposite.

I guess I started this thread as a way to chat to other geeks (hence posted in the Chit Chat forum) and to see if it was just me being sensitive. Not sure I expected anything to change as a result of it. But it's nice to know there are a few of us feeling the same way.

It seems sad to me that natural progression means things going downhill and alienating people. I have to say for me progression means the opposite.

I guess I started this thread as a way to chat to other geeks (hence posted in the Chit Chat forum) and to see if it was just me being sensitive. Not sure I expected anything to change as a result of it. But it's nice to know there are a few of us feeling the same way.

I love SG but there are definitely some obnoxious geeks rampaging through the threads.....it's off putting for sure

It is sad when people are rude, I've not been posting as much as I use to as I write something then delete in case I sound stupid!
I guess everything changes I remember when I joined a couple of years ago people said then geeks had gone off the site as not what it use to be.
Just a little respect and manners make a huge difference :)
Those who don't have manners and respect won't go far! Xx

Here here, well it's nice to chat to someone who feels the same 😊 xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back